My Project, The Real Mod-stock - Completed

Greetings

why not just run a mtb hub built on a 20" rim....

how do you mount a brake then?

if you have any ideas please write them down :) by the looks of things you haven't read the 1st post...

besides, getting a rear hub would cost me money. got a hardly used funn hub with a disc mount, screw on sprocket and funbolts in return for a set of pads - as i wrote in the 1st post, i don't want to spend any more money....

Edited by Inur

Posting for Jake:

219M std

ZOO old style bars

221Ti 740

post-7934-1174904448_thumb.jpg

And a close-up:

post-7934-1174904405_thumb.jpg

The ones shown on the pic are for 219M bars which have a thicker sidewall. Bottom one is for 720mm and top one for 740mm

That would have to be a hell of a tight fit...

did it take some bish boshing to get them in? i ahve some old monty bars in the shed i may consider doing it to ;)

Also steel or a nice grade of alloy to make them from? from the pic looks like steel.

Edited by Echo_Scotty

QUOTE(deanie-b @ Apr 1 2007, 11:03 AM)
Any further progress Inur?

Looking forward to the finished product :)

Just need to build the rear wheel which will allow me to finish off the brake mount and set everything up. Then it's just a matter of getting a screw on sprocket, freewheel and new brake pads for a Mono Trial. This would have been finished ages ago, I was planning on changing frames but I'm still riding the Adamant.

Just need to build the rear wheel which will allow me to finish off the brake mount and set everything up. Then it's just a matter of getting a screw on sprocket, freewheel and new brake pads for a Mono Trial. This would have been finished ages ago, I was planning on changing frames but I'm still riding the Adamant.

That's mega.

Do post some pics up of the beast when you have finished :), along with a review (Y)

Dean

• 2 weeks later...

Current progress:

Rear wheel built

Adaptor mounted onto the frame

Hub spacing problem solved

Chain line problem solved

Still to do:

Remove chainring off crank and replace with ACS (temporary, I hope it can be easily removed as i've got nationals this weekend)

Bleed front brake

Set the chain up

Mount front brake

Check everything

Mount rear brake

Then it's just a matter of cutting the adaptor down to a small size, doing some cosmetics and painting it black.

post-7934-1176823551_thumb.jpg

Alright then. I have basically finished what you can call the first attempt. I now know what the problems with this setup are (frankly speaking I was expecting them).

So yes, I have ridden it, just a few sidehops and things that are not heavy on the drivetrain.

The main problem is the stiffness of the setup. There are lots of washers, this thick adaptor which all add up to 20mm (the hub I'm running is 115mm). I wasn't expecting it to work perfectly first time but the hub will definitely need a serious modification. Basically I will need to make a really massive rear 135mm axle with Profile-sized funbolts. And to get that in, I'll need to change the bearings as the inner diameter is too small for a thicker than 10mm axle. This is all because when I press the cranks, the wheel shifts to the left causing immense drag on the brake.

It's a bit difficult to sum up how this rides as I've only been on it for 15 minutes. The position is exactly the same as previously on 26", it also feels really long and close to a stock. For me that's perfect since I'm not a fan of mods anymore. The bike is quite strange on the rear wheel, a bit like a pogo-stick. It's also too long - not in terms of cockpit room but for instance when you do a pigeon or something (please let's not argue about what it's called :lol:), you expect the rear wheel to land on the object but it's just not there.

Meh, maybe I'm just not used to it, after all the Python has longer chainstays.

Here's a pic of it built up, worked my way up to 6 pallets but it's quite difficult to do anything when you know the brake will lock up when you kick the pedal.

post-7934-1176828977_thumb.jpg

Going back to 26" wheels now, got the 1st round of nationals this weekend. I think it's a matter of 2 weeks and the 20" will be in full working order again, but with a really stiff wheel/brake setup.

Alright then. I have basically finished what you can call the first attempt. I now know what the problems with this setup are (frankly speaking I was expecting them).

So yes, I have ridden it, just a few sidehops and things that are not heavy on the drivetrain.

The main problem is the stiffness of the setup. There are lots of washers, this thick adaptor which all add up to 20mm (the hub I'm running is 115mm). I wasn't expecting it to work perfectly first time but the hub will definitely need a serious modification. Basically I will need to make a really massive rear 135mm axle with Profile-sized funbolts. And to get that in, I'll need to change the bearings as the inner diameter is too small for a thicker than 10mm axle. This is all because when I press the cranks, the wheel shifts to the left causing immense drag on the brake.

It's a bit difficult to sum up how this rides as I've only been on it for 15 minutes. The position is exactly the same as previously on 26", it also feels really long and close to a stock. For me that's perfect since I'm not a fan of mods anymore. The bike is quite strange on the rear wheel, a bit like a pogo-stick. It's also too long - not in terms of cockpit room but for instance when you do a pigeon or something (please let's not argue about what it's called :lol:), you expect the rear wheel to land on the object but it's just not there.

Meh, maybe I'm just not used to it, after all the Python has longer chainstays.

Here's a pic of it built up, worked my way up to 6 pallets but it's quite difficult to do anything when you know the brake will lock up when you kick the pedal.

post-7934-1176828977_thumb.jpg

Going back to 26" wheels now, got the 1st round of nationals this weekend. I think it's a matter of 2 weeks and the 20" will be in full working order again, but with a really stiff wheel/brake setup.

needs a t-master stem :D and a few headset stackers then it will ride like a dream ! !

dannyx