Getting On The Property Ladder

RR_Trials

I can't actually believe you are seriously considering this...

Your in fooking year 10, think about getting drunk, laying every girl in year 11, college partys, lads weekends away in Newquay for a massive piss up.

I'm not even going to consider moving out until i'm atleast 21, and i've worked out, if i want to have any standard of living, ie, not be super poor each and every month, i'd need to be earning atleast 18k a year, end of.

Is this a joke? Seriously? :S

I can't actually believe you are seriously considering this...

Your in fooking year 10, think about getting drunk, laying every girl in year 11, college partys, lads weekends away in Newquay for a massive piss up.

I'm not even going to consider moving out until i'm atleast 21, and i've worked out, if i want to have any standard of living, ie, not be super poor each and every month, i'd need to be earning atleast 18k a year, end of.

Is this a joke? Seriously? :S

Its is seriouse, i seriously love her, wether thats something you wont to belive or not.

Cheers, Rorz!

Year 10? Have you had sex education yet ?:P Joke.

I am not going to repeat what every one has said but it will cost and your forgetting that on top of rent and bills your gonna have a broken trials bike staring at you but you wont be able to fix it because of the gas bill .. <-- Make sense?

Why not get a shed put in your garden and camp in it?Get a extension cable and your sorted..

Edited by Up'n'away

Its is seriouse, i seriously love her, wether thats something you wont to belive or not.

You don't know what love is, Seriously.

Anyways im going to hi-jack your thread so i can get some stick with you :D

Me and 1 or 2 other friends are thinking about renting a 2 or 3 bed flat together around november time this year, I should be on an engineering apprentership and one of the others on an accountantcy apprentership and not to sure about the 3rd person. Me & carl our personality are spot on and in the 5 years ive known him we've always got on and never argued (No im not gay :P ) so i'm pretty sure we will be fine living together, at 16 we can't go to pubs/clubs anyway so we won't need money to go out like that, We can take bedroom furniture from out current bedrooms T.V's, wardrobes etc and ponce other bits that our other family members are throwing out.... I was just wandering about your thoughts and feelings, I'm guessing your going to say im a complete fool thats going to throw away the best days of my life?

wise words from someone so young...

Who said i'm 15 *looks shifty*

I am actually 15 btw, not 40 or what ever you may now be thinking)

It's lazy mans common sense :D People say the person is sad for being with their parent(s) till they're 30 odd, it's not, everyone that's staying home at an older than usual age is a f**king genius. Think, no washing, no bills, no cooking. Sorted. (ignorant i know, as parent(s) will probably make you pay and do your bit but if they don't, that's good yeah)

Edited by Fat Pants

I dont want to sound harsh because im sure you really do love her, but what you have to think about most is your future and what you really want to do, by the sounds of it (and i could be wrong so dont quote me on this) you dont really want to do this apprenticeship or whatever, but you have decided to because you will be able to see your gf alot and possibly get a flat together without worrying about you being away from home possibly at uni, just give it a real think, afterall it is upto you.

My brother moved out when he was 24, he was a good selfemployed joiner, earning a fair amount of money and although it was a house he still found it difficult to manage his money and soforth.

I wouldent move out at 18, unless i was having a bad home life and generally unhappy at home, if your not, dont do it.

What makes you want to have your own place with her so young? Just interested to know.

Andy.

Cheers, Rorz!

The thing is though, when you're 19 or whatever you'll probably have loads of freedom to do what you want anyway. You can still see your girl if you're not living together. Believe me, living together is hard work, I did it for 2 months with my (now ex :rolleyes: ) girlfriend and it's totally different to what you're doing now. Just have fun, you don't wanna be worrying about all this housing/rent/bills stuff at such a young age.

This thread is a bit pointless, because it's not like you'll have to plan anything very far in advance anyway. I'm sure in 2-3 years you will have a much better idea anyway.

Moving away from home - good. Being barely able to afford it - bad.

The more people you share with, the more some bills get split. When I first went to uni I was in a house of 8, and the TV licence was next to nothing. The less people there are though, the more you're paying (Sounds obvious I know). Just thinking about what Steve said, I know it's easy for the bills to add up. Add a bit for Sky, a bit for broadband, contents insurance... All adds up. I'd guess £350 a month each for two of you just to keep a roof over your head, and keep you warm and washed. You then have to eat, go out, buy new clothes, replace the vacuum cleaner.

Whoever you share with, it's a great experience being away from home. It can really be really tough at times though, especially if you have arguments or disagreements. It's doubley bad when it's a boy or girlfriend, and you can't go home after arguments...

Life will be more difficult and less comfortable than being at home though. Make no mistake.

You then have to eat, go out, buy new clothes, replace the vacuum cleaner.

Don't you just know it :angry: Whatever estimate you try and make I can guarantee that it will end up considerably more. Things in the house will brake, you'll get an unexpectedly high electricity or gas bill, The water company will up their rates, you'll get a speeding fine. etc etc. And all this on a combined income of £220 per week :S Say good bye to your life.

If you do a year's apprenticeship you will spend the rest of your life in a crappy paid job, unless you know someone.

Any apprenticeships that I know of are usually 3-4 years, is that not the case for building and engineering type ones? Im really not 100% sure but in the same time as an apprenticeship you could have gone through uni, and end up earning more money, quicker, as you'll get paid more in some jobs simply for having the degree.

Don't you just know it :angry: Whatever estimate you try and make I can guarantee that it will end up considerably more. Things in the house will brake, you'll get an unexpectedly high electricity or gas bill, The water company will up their rates, you'll get a speeding fine. etc etc.

Or some scrote will smash your car window and nick your radio (Who does that these days??), leaving you paying £60 to Autoglass, £100 to someone for a new radio, etc...

A friend of mine at work had their central heating break. £1500 to fix...

If you do a year's apprenticeship you will spend the rest of your life in a crappy paid job, unless you know someone.

Any apprenticeships that I know of are usually 3-4 years, is that not the case for building and engineering type ones? Im really not 100% sure but in the same time as an apprenticeship you could have gone through uni, and end up earning more money, quicker, as you'll get paid more in some jobs simply for having the degree.

Im currently doing a Aeronautical engineering apprenticeship with BAE, min time is 3 years 2 months, max time 4 years

Cheers, Rorz!

To be fair, everyone thinks their in love at 16. Its just a new experience and you mistake it for something its not.

I'm usually a very optimistic person, but at the same time, in reality your NOT going to be with her in 2 years time. If you are, look me up and i'll apologise to you.

Have you even tried having to pay for just your own stuff yet? Like living at home still but getting no money off your parents for food, clothes, general things. I think if you tried not having anything for free off you parents for like a month you'd be seriously sick of it. Actually, try it. Don't eat any food from the kitchen that isn't yours, pay for your own school equipment, money for transport, food, and general stuff (toothbrushes, razers, toothpaste, shampoo, hair cuts etc).

I'd imagine at 16 if you have a part time job as well as college you'd be getting around the same kind of proportionate spending money (only having to pay for food etc) as if you were doing a paid apprenticeship and having to pay rent on top of food etc.

I can tell you, paying for your own stuff despite still living at home is quite hard. Especially as when your older theres things like going to the pub with friends and generally needing more stuff.

i moved out at 18. alone though. went to uni, it's a great experience.

living costs a lot more than i thought.. burn through my student loan every month, no exceptions.

also, a friend of mine moved out with a girl. he now has to go to uni in a crappy place (according to me, gothenburg rules ;)) and has no real choice. yet, he's fine with it. i know i wouldn't be.

uni is lovely.

I was hoping to do an apprenticeship in graphic design, but now think it would be easier to go to college and get the qualifications then get an actual graphic design job?

Cheers for everything...

In that sort of field it's not easy either way ( it took me 5 years to get a pure arty job where I didn't have to do any web development ).

In your position I'd stay at home, do the apprenticeship - see if it turns into a job offer and then think about work vs. college/university. That way you'll be earning so you can buy the missus lovely presents that'll make her take her pants off, you won't have to pay for food and you get work experience which is worth a huge amount more than just a plain old degree.

Hey mate, glad to hear you feel your relationship is pretty strong etc

But...

Have you considered moving in with eachother at one of your current homes?

I'm currently working full time in insurance in my gap year, and the girlfriends in last year of college. Were both going to uni in September this year, and i know we'd both love to move out and rent somewhere just the 2 of us. But up til now we've been living between eachothers' homes, we do live together but not in our own place. I pay small rent just for my keep, but its great because im able to earn a fair bit of cash and save for uni/the future.

I just reckon you'll have a huge shock living in your own flat. Why not live with eachother in your parents home for a while. At least you'll soon see if you get on eachothers nerves 24/7.

Lawrence

P.s Sorry if the above has been posted by someone already, i havn't read the whole post...

Renting is dead money. You gain nothing from it at the end.

Go to uni and get a student loan etc, as has been said its amazing and set up for people who its their first experience of living away from home.

There are so many things you need to think about, even with inordinate amounts of money there are still skills you need to learn (cooking, cleaning, laundry, generally looking after yourself, money management, dealing with being on your own, who is gonna deal with your gf if she's ill/you have an argument etc etc) which can be hard if not in the right environment.

i think you should do it then u you will soon relised that sitting at home on your shite furtiture with a small tv and only 5 channels to watch cos u cant afford anythgin else will suck, ull have no money to do anything

ever?

try being with ur gf for a solid 2 weeks and see how bored u get, cos thats what it will be like.

I'm 20 and have been renting a 3 bedroom house with my fiancee for the past three years.

I had to get my own house because my parents moved to a different country.

If i could have stayed at home it would have made things alot easier, and i could have saved alot more for a house deposit.

My outgoing come to well over £800 a month :(

What makes me wont to have my own flat with my gf: I dont know really i just realy like the idea of it and know that we can go through hard times

Hey mate, glad to hear you feel your relationship is pretty strong etc

But...

Have you considered moving in with eachother at one of your current homes?

Never thought of that i will discuss it with her :P