Bleeding An Adamant Rim Brake

ben_travis

Who has put a water bleed on a deng brake?

If you have, did you do anything normal to a standard magura. Mine seems to be bleeding pretty poorly, and the pads arent moving very far for the amount of lever pull...

some thoughts please??

ben

The problem you may have is that the water is turning white when it comes out the tail end of the bleed, this is because there is still hydraulic oil inside the brake. 1.)Fill your bath up, 2.)take the brake apart, blow throw the hoosing, youll see all the crap come out, 3.) Then on the cylinders, get some plyers and pull then push the pistion to clear all the oil out. 4.) Pull the lever under the water to fill it up, 5.) Put it back together. sorry if this doesnt make sense but it work brilliant for me.

cheers

nafan

The problem you may have is that the water is turning white when it comes out the tail end of the bleed, this is because there is still hydraulic oil inside the brake. 1.)Fill your bath up, 2.)take the brake apart, blow throw the hoosing, youll see all the crap come out, 3.) Then on the cylinders, get some plyers and pull then push the pistion to clear all the oil out. 4.) Pull the lever under the water to fill it up, 5.) Put it back together. sorry if this doesnt make sense but it work brilliant for me.

cheers

nafan

That seems a good idea.

(not taking the piss) Flushing it through (with the syringe) a load of times would be easier i think though,

chocolate_bikes is right, but i would use fatpants' way, and i have. was speaking to a mate of mine today, dan brooker. he has water in his echo brake, and his brake is insanely good

yes flushing is ok with a syringe, but it is soo much easier in the bath, as it takes all of the oil out with out any problems.

Ben, try filling the brake up, then remove the "lever" bleed pipe, BUT keep pumping oil/water through the lever so it "overflows" and spills out, then put the grub screw back in and take the bleed pipe off the back, she should be full to the brim then (Y):)

Thats how i do my brakes all the time, i found when i first started doing the new levers the problem you are having.

Waynio.......................

i asked one of the tarty bikes blokes (dave or adam can't remember who ) at the bike show and they said the denguras don't really work well with a water bleed .

steve

ask a magura technician the same question on a magura and he'll say the same thing. Infact from memory the instruction book that comes with a mgaura says in massive letters

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD WATER BE USED

but we all just scribble that bit out eh?

yes but magura actually went back to the drawing board and said, hmmm, nearly every trials rider in the world uses an hs33 magura, how can we make the lever worse and make the booster weaker than the air it displaces.

Ignore anything magura say, they clearly are a breed of their own, Also its never going to be recomended to use water, It will do damage to the internals, at least more so than mineral oil but theyre just covering theyre backs and trying to keep you spendng £50 for 5ml of oil.

Bath bleed after 1hour of riding it with oil.

Must have been 50% oil and 50% air, was dogger! bath bleed after flushing it through 5 - 10 times and constantly pumping the rear brake...

the brakes are naturally spongy, but 10x better with a bath bleed, also a nice booster as mine broke :(

X

ask a magura technician the same question on a magura and he'll say the same thing. Infact from memory the instruction book that comes with a mgaura says in massive letters

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD WATER BE USED

but we all just scribble that bit out eh?

Nope, just says that you shouldn't use DOT fluid, just mineral fluid. The usage of water in them came quite a bit after they were originally made, so I doubt they'd have thought ahead that far. If they were actually capable of forward thinking they wouldn't give them such wanky hardware, wanky TPAs and wanky boosters as standard...