270° drop off a wall help

niconj

I was kinda bored by the TGS riding I have been doing over the last months and wanted to include some street riding moves into my practice sessions. In the video you can see the result of two days hard practice. I don't know how the move is called. I wanted to turn further to be able to drive away in a 90° angle to the wall after the spin. Any suggestions as to how to do it? I need to spin further I think but when landing, do I have to pedal backwards or pull the rear brake and pedal... Sorry for the gibberish. I really don't know how to put it into words but I think you get what I mean.

p.s.: Are these spinning moves easier with a 24'' street bike than with a long pogo stick?

Bike won't make much difference. You need to throw the rear end round more - practice on the flat and just spin as far as you can during an endo, you should be able to get at least a 180* spin before placing the rear wheel back on the floor. From there, it's not much different to do it off a wall, you just need to pop off with the front wheel as the rear is coming around to land and ride out (Y)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Luke Rainbird said:

you should be able to get at least a 180* spin before placing the rear wheel back on the floor.

Thanks. This is still pretty hard to do. I have to practice it on the flat then. Once I can do this, doing it off the wall do I have to pull the rear brake when landing or do I have enough momentum to just roll off forwards?

I'm surprised that the bike won't make any difference with mine having a pretty long wheelbase and all.

Edited by niconj

12 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Might be easier to lock the rear brake on landing while you're learning.

I did this off a higher wall and almost fell on my back because the brake was locked. When it's done perfectly, is the brake locked or not?

57 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

I don't know what the latest fashion is, I haven't done these for about 10 years :lol: But I always used to have rear brake on.

When I try to pedal backwards, my front wheel lowers; when I have the rear wheel locked, it takes me further back but then again, I don't land in the direction I want to go. If I turn all the way, keeping the rear wheel locked might actually put my front wheel down as well.

p.s.: Isn't it cool to do them anymore? :D

Edited by niconj

14 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Why are you trying to pedal backwards?

Because, like in the video, the momentum carries me to the back and when I pull the rear brake, I fall over. If I pedal backwards, it takes the front wheel down. This, as I understand, isn't necessary anymore once I turn fully.

You're just not swinging hard or fast enough, plus the drop is tiny so you haven't got much room to spin.

You're sort of doing the swing the back round and pulling the front round as two separate moves as well, combine them as one motion so you lose less momentum. Back brake always locked.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, niconj said:

Because, like in the video, the momentum carries me to the back and when I pull the rear brake, I fall over. If I pedal backwards, it takes the front wheel down. This, as I understand, isn't necessary anymore once I turn fully.

Something isn't right there... your weight should be in a position such that the front falls down 'automatically' when you land with the rear brake on.

I think you need to try it off something higher, so the bike gets more vertical in the air.

52 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Something isn't right there...

Exactly. I don't land forwards I land backwards and the momentum of the turn goes to the back resulting in falling over when pulling the rear brake. Just imagine landing in a 90° angle to the wall with the front facing the wall, you have to pedal backwards because you push yourself from the wall onto the rear wheel.

3 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Cool. So you know what to do. Go out and practice :P

I did. What I found out is that the move is more in the hips rather than really lifting the rear wheel. I think it's only a matter of days until I master it. I know for you guys it's the easiest in the world but for me it's pure motivation after having a long draught.

The wall in the video is slightly higher and I tried to make the move faster. 

Edited by niconj

1 hour ago, cwtrials said:

A higher wall will make the move easier and feel more natural. Anything less than 3ft and it just doesn't work right.

Problem is though, that I am afraid of doing it off higher heights without knowing how to do it. This is always a great problem for me when trying new moves.