My Project, The Real Mod-stock - Completed

Greetings

Ok, so here's the story. I'm changing frames to something a bit more user-friendly soon, but also want to build up a mod for under 120 quid. Since I'm not into short mods any more, I'd have to buy a Deng frame (instead of a Monty which I can get cheap) = lots of $$$ which I don't want to spend. I've got tonnes of Monty stuff at home, and soon a spare frame, being the A1

So instead of buying a mod frame which will cost me money, I have thought of using the A1 frame to build up a mod. Now this does complicate matters a bit, but only a bit.

Final geometry of the bike will be:

Wheelbase: 1062mm

BB rise: +50mm

Chainstays: 372mm

Gear ratio: 18:12 hopefully without any need of chain tensioning

The geometry is almost identical to a Python, but longer. So the bike will have a mod feel to it, with a cockpit only slightly longer than in other mod frames. The stem be changed to an Echo Team or 130x20 Try-All and the bars to 740mm 221Ti's making the riding position a bit more friendly.

Looking at this idea, one would ask a few questions: how will the brake work, will the chain line be ok, will the tyre clearance be alright, and what rear hub will be used.

-The chain line is my biggest problem as it will probably mean getting a narrower bb and this will stretch my budget by at least 30 quid - from now on I don't want to spend a penny.

-The tyre clearance is fine, even with the 2.6" Eagle Claw I will be using.

-I will also be using a 110mm spaced disc hub which is on it's way to me. This is also how I will resolve the brake problem - the bike will be dual disc, accomodating a 160mm Mono Trial on a 15mm thick PA6 disc adaptor mounted on the inside of the frame (this will also compensate for the missing 15 out of 25mm of the hub). All together, much easier than making some kind of adaptors for an HS33 brake.

Here are some pics of the bike provisionally put together. I have ridden it a bit just doing some spins without the chain and brakes and it feels great.

post-7934-1173879252_thumb.jpgpost-7934-1173879216_thumb.jpg

And the block of aluminum that will soon be a brake mount. The wheel put on the frame is random, new one will be built up within a week.

post-7934-1173879270_thumb.jpg

Edited by Inur

cool project (Y) sounds like you have considered all the problems and found resolutions :)

wonder how it will ride :D does looks mega so far... for some reason it does seem to suit the role of a mod frame pretty well... someone make a mod out of a 1100 marc vinco or gu!!!!

post-7934-1173893126_thumb.jpg

That's it for the time being, need my new wheel to be able to do the rest.

1st time I've done something in aluminum, it's sooo easy to work on!

EDIT:

Ok, definitely the end for today. Basically what I have done up till now was to space the mount correctly so the holes are in the right place for a 160mm rotor.

The adaptor has the right shape for the frame, neither the welds nor tubing get in the way. What I have left for tomorrow is to think of a way to fix it to the frame. I will definitely be drilling one hole in the dropout and working out some kind of brace system to mount it to the top tube on the chainstays. My dad who's an engineer wants to bet me as much as the frame is worth that it won't snap if I just secure the adaptor to the dropout with 2 screws and the hub funbolt. Not sure I want to go for such a deal, even I do get the money back I won't be able to buy one of these beasts any more.

post-7934-1173896544_thumb.jpgpost-7934-1173896562_thumb.jpgpost-7934-1173896582_thumb.jpg

More in a few days.

Edited by Inur

post-7934-1173893126_thumb.jpg

, even I do get the money back I won't be able to buy one of these beasts any more.

However you could just buy a long adament or a python lol. great idea i always wondered what it would be like, i then thought how awful it would be putting little wheels on a stock.

Edited by chrishayton

However you could just buy a long adament or a python lol. great idea i always wondered what it would be like, i then thought how awful it would be putting little wheels on a stock.

He doesnt want to waste money on a new frame which is why hes had this idea

Looks mint to say the least, really want to see the final outcome

The project has reached a brief standstill, my hub still hasn't been sent to me although I was expecting it today :(

I am however collecting my new stock frame tomorrow morning so this will allow me to work on the Adamant and have a bike to ride at the same time. About time, f**ked 2 threads in the Maggie mounts today :angry: . Also been thinking about how to mount the adaptor and I'm going to have a bet with my dad and do it his way. Will be much neater!

What still needs to be done:

-Have a thin bashring made

-Get hold of a 18T freewheel, 12T screw on sprocket and a Team stem

-Have my 221Ti bars extended to 740mm

-Mount the adaptor to the frame

-Check when the hub has arrived if everything fits as planned

-Get the wheel built

-RIDE!!!!

Really excited about all this, also very motivated with the support from you guys.

Should have everything running by the end of next week if I get hold of a freewheel!

Edited by Inur

• 2 weeks later...