Swearing / Rude Words

Backgren

good evening.

I think that swearing and rude/obscene words can be quite interesting, especially the way (nearly) everyone adapt their language and usage of bad words to who they're talking to. For someone with english as his second language, who doesn't quite know how harsh or rude certain words are this can be very difficult.

I for example love to play with this, c*nt sounds great and can cause people to react in funny ways :rolleyes: However, that's now why I made this thread. I want to know if the word "knickers" suddenly is considered to be very rude? I've always thought that it was pretty harmless, a word like any other for female underwear? My girlfriend asked me about this, as she's is in london now, staying with a family and studying for 2 weeks. When she used "knickers" in a converstation (no idea why) with the grown up son in the family he acted like she'd said something very very rude, almost like ”be careful with what you say, people will call the police if they hear that word. You can’t say anything these days...” :P

I'm quite sure he was joking, but I might as well ask here, and get a discussion going about what you really should not say around people when in the UK?

Knickers isn't really rude in the slightest. 'Posh' people use the word 'knickers' instead of 'shit' or 'f**k'.

"Oh knickers, they've stolen my car!"

"Oh f**k, they've stolen my car!"

C*nt is good, but it's probably considered the worst word to use over here. All the rest, except f**k are quite ok to say, they're still 'swear words' though, so becareful who you say them to!

I've met you!! I'm Glen, we rode with Chai, Antonio and Sam Wheeler i think, in London.

Was it you Fat Pants, you are twelve after all...

:rolleyes: good one, nice and original, I like it.

Deending on the context, 'knickers' might seem inapprioate, but it's not considered a swear word. For a girl to say 'I took my knickers of before he bucked me,' while not having any swear words, the meaning of the phrase is a bit deragotory. but 'I removed my underwear' is a bit more kinda lady like or something. I find the words girls use for their undergarments helps to show what type of a girl they are when not wearing them.

there isnt such thing nower days as "bad language" or "rude" words, if there were, they would be words that are NOT used "regularly" but as MOST words these days are "everyday" words WHAT can you class as bad language? or rude?

When i was young swearing was not really a thing people would do, nower days kids dont care and say what they want, at the end of the days its a free world so anyone and everyone can use ANY word they like.

You can tell when your in front of someone "how" the word is said on how to interprit it.

At the end of the day if everyone around you swears YOU swear simple matter of fact. and nower days EVERYONE says bad things.

Wayne.

there isnt such thing nower days as "bad language" or "rude" words, if there were, they would be words that are NOT used "regularly" but as MOST words these days are "everyday" words WHAT can you class as bad language? or rude?

When i was young swearing was not really a thing people would do, nower days kids dont care and say what they want, at the end of the days its a free world so anyone and everyone can use ANY word they like.

You can tell when your in front of someone "how" the word is said on how to interprit it.

At the end of the day if everyone around you swears YOU swear simple matter of fact. and nower days EVERYONE says bad things.

Wayne.

Thats lame wayne.

We shouldnt be promoting bad language.

And when I see youngsters swearing in the street I just think "low life".

Also not all kids swear, well not down here in salisbury anyway.

There is a time a place for swearing and im afraid kids dont have a licence to swear in my book.

Bring back the swift clip round the head!

(N)

So 'nigger' isnt bad language.

I agree in a sense but what I think is that words that were effective now have been overused and they're offensiveness is now gone.

The word fanny no longer bothers me as its so overused its unbelieveable.

mr callum, im not wanting to get into a racism debate here(again).

but no nigger isnt bad language, its a word nothing more, it becomes bad or offensive dependant on who is saying it, who is hearing it, and the context in which it is used.

likewise with other words, if i called your nan a fanny to her face. itd be rather offensive. and id be shot for it.

but at work, when discussing a night out, "yea, last night was pretty good, i got fanny faced" or "i was absolutely mashed, and went and told the female bouncer i loved her, what a fanny i must of looked" between me and a mate. then providing its me and him in the room, no one else, fanny isnt offensive, or meant in a bad or offensive way, its just a word discribing your state or your image.

mr callum, im not wanting to get into a racism debate here(again).

but no nigger isnt bad language, its a word nothing more, it becomes bad or offensive dependant on who is saying it, who is hearing it, and the context in which it is used.

likewise with other words, if i called your nan a fanny to her face. itd be rather offensive. and id be shot for it.

but at work, when discussing a night out, "yea, last night was pretty good, i got fanny faced" or "i was absolutely mashed, and went and told the female bouncer i loved her, what a fanny i must of looked" between me and a mate. then providing its me and him in the room, no one else, fanny isnt offensive, or meant in a bad or offensive way, its just a word discribing your state or your image.

Yeah it is all down to the person who hears the word.

The C word is a good 'un in my opinion, is almost like a taboo word, and doesn't go down well with some people.

I won't swear at anyone or to anyone, but I always saying "F**king" in the form of exagerration, sometimes as a pause when thinking of a suitable word.

"The gap was...... f**king, massive".

Sometimes (depending on situation), I will say either "B***ocks" or "Balls" after a mistake of some kind, so obviously "B***ocks" is for the more informal situations and, "Balls" for other situations.

But many people have had a go at me for using the word balls. ?

I mean come on, what should I say, Testicles??

Edited by thutley

Yea.... i swear a lot and as ive got older the swearing in my house is kinda alright now, My mum just doesnt like me saying, like "oh my bitch" or "my slag" or like "my hoe" or whatever, thats just her being old though

Those three terms for girls are derogatory, I'm not surprised your mum gets wound up by them. I know you're too thick (skinned) to take offence, others arent.

I think youv'e taken me far too seriously and maybe your just a little tired. I don't like say it in a nasty way just in a :P cheeky way and ill say it to their face's to get a lil smile or a punch or something its never in a OI YOU SHLAGG type of way - god chillax, i think all words are in the context that you say them, I could tell you to f**k off with a big cheeky grin on my face, or square up to you and spit at you to f**k off - you dont get that online

im not promoting bad language, all i am saying is that the "community" most/all of us live in nower days contains swearing, as opposed to say 10 years ago when swearing was a thing you would NEVER consider doing, its like anything, things grow get bigger and it just happens, live with it, you cant CHANGE some things and swearing is one of them that will NEVER stop.

i used to swear a hell of a lot more than what i do now around 2/3 years ago, iv totally stopped at competitions as i dont want a 5/6 year old watching me, then jump off me bike giving it every effing and jobbing word under the sun.

its how swearing comes across, weather it is said "jokingly" or "abusivly" therefore one is a joking jesture of swearing and the other is said in an abrupt way to offend someone/some people.

look at big brother and the racism thing, even though the gal said it in a joking way it was blown out of proportion!!! its like my surname, i get many people asking what "origin" i am, as its not a common name.

Wayne.

It's quite interesting seeing your views after just doing an A-level about this sorta thing.

Langauge and its meanings change. Fact

Some people like it, others don't.

Swearing is 'acceptable' from youths to youths, and obviously even between slightly older people, but when you get to the next generation, they're dead set against it.

It's language developing, like new words are formed. They get more widely used and accepted in society.

Even so, when i hear very young kids swearing it doesnt sound good at all. The likelyhood is either their parents don't care or they do it to be cool. I never considered swearing until i was in secondary school where it became 'normal'.