Moe Products

Savage

By early next week I should have stock of MOE bottom brackets and brake pads. Eventually stems, cranks, and bars will reach production. The MOE brand has been developed in partnership with Tim from Trialsin, more details once the products are actually here.

post-1615-1187376691.jpg

post-1615-1187376727_thumb.jpg

Ben.

Any more details on the pads, what would you compare them to?

Matt Rushton

Hi Matt, pads coming Monday, I start journey to Japan Sunday, otherwise I would have fitted a pair and reported back. I'll mail USA and ask them the question. The main aim of MOE as a brand is to offer good value for money, the pads and BB's will be priced to make them very affordable, can't quote now as we have to calculate a retail value that absorbs shipping, duty and exchange rate, prices later.

Ben.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone got one of these BB's? Looks very good for the money. I take it they'll work with a front freewheel?

Cheers,

Dave

At a spindle length of 128mm, no problem with front freewheel.

Whatever the bottom bracket you buy, always make sure that the cups will allow for front freewheel as well. There are a number of bottom brackets out there that are actually 73mm spacing, with a spacer behind the drive side cup to get to work in 68mm bottom bracket shell. This can be a problem when using White Industries (widest trials specific freewheel out there) front freewheel set up. Because the cup is spaced 5mm out by the spacer, in effect, you only have a 123mm spindle on the drive side. You see the potential for difficulty here, some (though certainly not all) front freewheel cranks using a thick bashring and/or White Industries freewheel might not clear with a spaced cup BB.

At a spindle length of 128mm, no problem with front freewheel.

Whatever the bottom bracket you buy, always make sure that the cups will allow for front freewheel as well. There are a number of bottom brackets out there that are actually 73mm spacing, with a spacer behind the drive side cup to get to work in 68mm bottom bracket shell. This can be a problem when using White Industries (widest trials specific freewheel out there) front freewheel set up. Because the cup is spaced 5mm out by the spacer, in effect, you only have a 123mm spindle on the drive side. You see the potential for difficulty here, some (though certainly not all) front freewheel cranks using a thick bashring and/or White Industries freewheel might not clear with a spaced cup BB.

Hi Tim, cheers for the info. Can I ask you how the BB's compare to something like an Echo or Try-All BB? The Moe is a good bit cheaper than either of these and seems to include neat design features which actually makes the Moe a better bet...

Cheers,

Dave Marshall

Hi Tim, cheers for the info. Can I ask you how the BB's compare to something like an Echo or Try-All BB? The Moe is a good bit cheaper than either of these and seems to include neat design features which actually makes the Moe a better bet...

Cheers,

Dave Marshall

The actual manufacturer of the BB is the same one of the other brands out there. However, when approaching these companies you get to select the type (material/hardness) of spindle, bearing and such. MOE BBs use harder material spindle and bearings than a similar looking brand.

The actual manufacturer of the BB is the same one of the other brands out there. However, when approaching these companies you get to select the type (material/hardness) of spindle, bearing and such. MOE BBs use harder material spindle and bearings than a similar looking brand.

So the BB's will be stronger than other companys ???

Any other news on the pads Ben??

Matt Rushton

So the BB's will be stronger than other companys ???

Any other news on the pads Ben??

Matt Rushton

I guess here would be a good place to better elaborate my take on BBs.

First let us look at material strength. It is really in the eye of the beholder (or marketer, so some extent). Softer materials tend to bend, straight forward enough. Harder materials (in general, not looking for advanced lessons in metalurgy here) tend to snap. The difference is that the point at which the harder material fails (snaps) in most cases requires a bit more force. You could make an arguement that a bending spindle would be safer than a snapping one......but the cases of snapping spindles are reletively few, so in my eyes do not make the case.

Bearings. Again, the harder the material the better. The smoother the races the better. The real trick here is trying to get as many bearings (of descent quality) into the BB so as to spread the load as far as possible.

There are external cup BBs. While these do resolve issues of tiny/few bearings by increasing the area to house them, the cups themselves (where they thread into BB shell) become the stress point with the bearings being external providing further (unwanted) leverage on the threaded portion of cups. And there is the all too familiar issue too little space to install freewheel crank set ups.

Weight. This is one part that going silly light is definatly not to you advantage.

At the end of the day, BBs on trials bikes are squeezed into a 68mm BB shell. This means, no matter what we do (given that this is a sport that you smash your bike on rocks.....and the BB in particular takes the brunt of that impact) there is no such thing as the "perfect" BB. What it really comes to is how long can you make it last. It is a matter of when, not if, the device in question will be subdued by repeated impacts (particularly by those less smooth in landing).

The MOE BB was an attempt to address as many issues as possible while keeping it in the realm of affordability. Keeping reletive balance between durability/quality and price is always the test of a good part.

Someday there needs to be another system to specifically address out sport. Years ago there was a frame builder in Hungary called Yasec that made a frame with a custom BB/crank set up. It really looked to be the answer. Large diameter BB shell so it could house very large tube type spindle (light and strong) and alot of bearings. It was one off...............maybe I will see if I can dig up the pics off my old computer!

Edited by Tim/Trialsin USA