New Chain Time?

Dave Anscombe

they're all shit - I say get the chain made by the people that make loophole chains, some italian bunch. Ask Alansbmx, they have them. Mine's great - it looks flimsy as hell but it's not stretching at anything like the rate my shadow or any of my old KMC jobs did

Dont listen to them get a shadow conspiracy half link chain they are awesome!!!! super strong can be shortened to a perfect length.I have had mine for about 4 months and not 1 stiff link and i had to put a link in at one point an still not one stiff link. The only downer is adding a link is difficult unless you have a good extractor i snapped my cheapy one in 3 places :angry: but other than that its the way to go. Other half link chains bewarned as braintreetrials (reece) snapped the pin on his but shadow conspiracy ones are champion!!!!!

khe ..well if they have loads of stiff links i think il pass

gutted they sounded well mint untill then :(

I know many people that are running KHE and just because it's stiff doesn't mean it will snap. I guess it's probably better because you know the links wont fall apart lol

It's going to be my next chain.

JK

Why half-link chains aren't great in high stress applications (trials): (Red arrow = force applied... gotta love paint).

post-5427-1189024782_thumb.jpg

The plates are bent in a half link chain, so when you apply force they just stretch. You can see what I mean very easily by just folding a bit of paper so its a Z shape and then pulling it from either end - it straightens out. Do it with a fresh piece and it doesn't stretch a bit. Make the same models out of steel and you have the same effect.

I dont mind a chain stretching, it's snapping that worries me. So if the Half link chains have a higher breaking point then they'd be a good choice.

Then again I'm not one of these fussy ''I have to have perfect chain tension'' kind of people.

Meh.

Edited by ReverendJQ

I dont mind a chain stretching, it's snapping that worries me. So if the Half link chains have a higher breaking point then they'd be a good choice.

I guess so, but would you ride with a chain full of links which have been bent since they were new? :P

I'm not sure on the figures but I don't think half link chains are any stronger than a KMC Kool.

I had a KHE, it was fine (a bit of a stiff link when I fitted it, but nothing that bad). After a lot of stretch to the point the snail cams were maxed out, I got a KMC.

I must say that the KMC felt so much nicer, I swear it makes my bike feel alot more responsive. That's my experience anyway... why don't you just get a new KMC? Every chain stretches after a while and if it was OK until now then a new one would be fine, surely? You don't HAVE to get a different one.

Other half link chains bewarned as braintreetrials (reece) snapped the pin on his

pin(s) :P

i snapped it 3 times before giving up on it

mine had hollow pins though, so normal ones should be fine

Ok well what i will do is get a KHE and see how it goes really......thanks to every one on imput

much much love

dave x

i know you love me the most :)

Cool your selling them now. Best chain tool ever. I had to buy mine from bikedock.

KMCs are sooo cheap from supercycles. Just go out and buy 2 or 3 chains and change them every so often. It much better to do that than have a 12 month old KHE.