Driving Age Now Raised To 18!

Boswell

is there any proof about this?? Links to some evidence??

Only saying this becasue it's rumoured every single year but not come into force yet. Is it for real this time?

no its just rumoured again, but internet based rumours spread like chlymyddia through a as level travel and tourism class

Mate you nearly gave me a heart attack, just got me provvy and gnna start soon, when you said 18 + I was like best not be this year

I know they was thinking of changing it at the end of sept this yr!

But luckily you siad Nxt year!!

Im orite then ill have started by then so I doubt they can do much then!

Steve

Edited by Steve H

I had my license for 1 years and a few days now... been driving 2 years... begun at the age of 16 which in canada is the legal age !

I have my own car, never had any crash or anything like that ! sure i like to speed.. who doesn't ?

but I seirously doubt that raising the age to 18 won't change anything !

anyone can be an idiot young or old people on the road !

IMO, the sooner you learn the better it is ! (my dad told me that when i was learning how to drive)

just wanted to share my thoughts ! :)

Edited by An_toin3

Its not changing this year.

And if it was, it would do shit all, 17 year olds crash because of a lack of experience. Yeah, sure they're young and over enthusiastic, but to get rid of that mentalitly you'd have to up the driving age to like 32, and even then you'd get the mid life crissis tits in they're BMWs.

End of.

also another problem for them changing the law successfully... is that quiet alot of driving instructors are going to loose alot of money for a year as there wont be the stream on new 17 year old coming the next year, becasue they will have to wait till there 18...

if you get me :S...

Ryan...

I welcome the change. Teenage drivers are shit most of the time, and half of them only want a car so they can ferry their mates to Tesco every Friday night. Plus, it's these gimps that shove insurance premiums up.

Here Here!

However, I passed my test at 17 and have been fine. My first car was written off within 2 months of passing when a late-20's guy lost control speeding in a Punto Sporting and hit me. Not really to do with age, this shit driving business. Infact, the number of 'middle-aged' people I see driving like Ray Charles is unbelievable! But then 2 guys (18 & 19 i think) killed 'emselves hitting a tree at 140mph in a 50mph zone just down the road from my town. Apparently they were filming their 'awesome whip' for youtube and wanted to be in Max Power.

Basically, it comes down to the fact that anyone can pass a driving test, and there's know way of weeding out the people undeserved of the freedom a car gives to you. We all know who they are, and you know if you are one of them.

Personally, after passing your test, I'd put you in a car for NCAP crash testing, smash you into a wall, and say 'See? Hurts, don't it! Now off you go...' Similar to my theory on selling cycle helmets. Anyone who says they are pointless and look silly, crack em over the head with a mallet and see if they change their minds.

The age ISN'T changing, as has been said a dozen times, though nobody seems to be reading threads as usual. Basically, you'll drive safe, drive unsafely and be lucky, or stack it. Your choice, take the shame. I crashed at the end of the driveway at work when I was 19, major embarrassment, but hey!

Anyways, drive safe.

Smithy