Pro2 Split

matt rushton

Hope wouldn't sort me out when I contacted them about the hub on my XC bike (Hope XC with steel freehub), which not only wasn't back pedalling correctly, but had deep gouges in it from the 6 biggest of the 8 sprockets on the cassette (After 6 months use I needed a hammer to get the cassette off the freehub to fit a new drivetrain). The ratchet pawls were also a bit deformed and the shoulder on the axle separating the freehub bearings from the hub bearings was also deforming (Probably due to me liking my wheels to stay on and using a Shimano QR skewer rather than the notably bad Hope ones (Look up accidents involving front QR's coming loose in use). When I emailed Hope explaining that the hub was only used for XC (And it was - I had a different bike for trials) they replied saying the hub wasn't suitable for trials - which I pretty much guessed given it was getting mashed from XC use. Tw@ts...

Fitted an XTR (Cheaper than the Hope, when you factor in that Hope don't include the QR skewer with their hubs) after the Hope and three years later with no servicing whatsoever (Never even looked in it), it's still running as good as new on the XC bike. I had an XTR last 5 years on my trials bike (Opened after a year to tighten the freehub bolt, nothing else done to it, same servicing required for the XTR I replaced it with) before the freehub jammed slightly once on backpedaling leading to a faceplant - I sold that hub on (with a warning about this potential problem) and it's still running on an XC bike 2 years later AFAIK). XT hubs are lucky to last 6 months on a trials bike, Deores are lucky to last that on an XC bike...

Based on this experience (And the way I know one person personally and have heard stories of several others who've had flanges on their Hope hubs fail and know a lot more people that use Shimano hubs and I've never heard even third or fourth hand of Shimano hubs failing this way - even those laced radially when Shimano said they shouldn't be laced that way). For these reasons I'd be slow to trust anything off Hope (Except their valve caps, which seem adequate, but they won't injure me if they fail :P). I have tried their trials brakes and while they're working they work very well.

ive heard thats best way of losing your teeth

king hubs really arent that great. fantastic for mtb and road use but according to ck their hubs should never skip, the hub should rip apart before they skip, we know this isnt true. we also know when they skip they go in a big way.

I dont want to get into a hope/king debate but I will say this. My king has been awesome, yes it's skipped a few times (a drop gap in soton about a month ago) but I didn't smash my face, was only a little skip which resulted in me only gapping half the distance, not going over the bars.

I've had my king for nearly 3 years and it has only scared me maybe twice in that time. I have never used a pro 2 but I haven't heard of any hope hub lasting that long under constant abuse.

If hope can ressolve the issues with the hub bodys cracking then I'd happily run one in the future.

kings are awesome hubs. soooo many people have used them and still use them for trials with no problems. i had some issues with my hub, internals were a bit shoddy so i got them replaced FOR FREE, no questions. it's been perfect since then, skipped a few times, but those were only tiny skips when i was coasting along pedalling VERY lightly; this is where most kings skip.

sure, spokes pull out of kings and some skip all over the place, but they're still pretty damn awesome hubs. i hear a lot of problems with pro2 springs snapping, hubshells cracking and stuff, so it's not like they're perfect either.

i'm a king man myself, but i'd like to try a pro2 to see what they're like...

The only reason more people don't complain about the cassette digging into the freehub on Hopes is that a lot of people buy very high end cassettes which have spiders to spread the load from sprocket to sprocket. These are fine is you're a compulsive bike polisher and do low mileage, but are too expensive to justify otherwise. Suffice it to say I've never seen a shimano hub suffer from this level of damage from these cassettes, even on my trials bike. Hope need to look at their material hardness and quality very carefully...

The only reason more people don't complain about the cassette digging into the freehub on Hopes is that a lot of people buy very high end cassettes which have spiders to spread the load from sprocket to sprocket. These are fine is you're a compulsive bike polisher and do low mileage, but are too expensive to justify otherwise. Suffice it to say I've never seen a shimano hub suffer from this level of damage from these cassettes, even on my trials bike. Hope need to look at their material hardness and quality very carefully...

Agreed. Shimano free hubs are crazy strong for stopping cogs digging into them I've seen someone running single speed with a skinny cog and it barley dented it.

I've seen some people say bad things about the '06 pro2s, do you think it would be a bad idea to get one of the cheap ones that are on tartybikes at the moment? Even with the warranty I'd rather have a hub that doesn't break.

I say it depends how you ride to be honest. Some people destroy the strongest parts out there while others make the weakest of parts last a life time. You might get the hub and it last for years or it might fall apart in weeks. You know the main weakness of the hub so you know what to expect. If you arnt a harsh rider go for it.

you cant justify that, alot more people havent broken their pro 2 than people who have..
On the contuary (spelt wrong), the numbers of riders breaking their hubs shell is more than justified to worry those other riders hubs that have yet broken within 6-8months of use. my old deore hub has gone through years of abuse and is still going strong. so what does that say about a hub that is more technically advanced in terms of design and construction? it means that they dont make they last like they used to.

On the contuary (spelt wrong), the numbers of riders breaking their hubs shell is more than justified to worry those other riders hubs that have yet broken within 6-8months of use. my old deore hub has gone through years of abuse and is still going strong. so what does that say about a hub that is more technically advanced in terms of design and construction? it means that they dont make they last like they used to.

id be willing to bet a house on the fact that anyone who broke a pro2 within 6 months would destroy a deore hub in weeks...

the number of hubs broken is very small in comparison to those that are entirely trouble free - and those ones are fantastic for trials.... kings are great hubs too but personally i dont think worth the extra cash...

id be willing to bet a house on the fact that anyone who broke a pro2 within 6 months would destroy a deore hub in weeks...

the number of hubs broken is very small in comparison to those that are entirely trouble free - and those ones are fantastic for trials.... kings are great hubs too but personally i dont think worth the extra cash...

Err im talking about the hub shell, not the internals :S . thats what this topic IS about. in any event, deore internals (ie; pawls) are replaceable, a cracked Pro2 hub shell is not readly replaceable. :S Edited by Rusevelt