Maxxis Forwards Or Backwards?

jonnyyork

Hi all,

I have seen a few pics and videos of riders running their bikes with maxxis high roller or minion tyres backwards. I have heard from someone that they grip better for trials if they are rotating the wrong way. Anyone think the same?

I can't help but wonder who on here runs either of these tyres backwards on either front, rear or both?

Cheers,

Jon

the idea behind the high roller being used backwards is that the "knobs" become TRACTION enhancing "in theory" as when you look at the sharp knobs it should drive better through mud and such forth, wont make the biggest difference in the world but alot of people do it (Y):)

PS never used Minions on backwards so could not comment.

Wayne.

I put my tires on the correct way everytime. They still work a treat and have a better life span when running them the right way around. But I'm a cheap git so there we go.

i am cheaper. same tyres for sooo long.

to be honest, i just put them so the maxxis logo is on the same side, i dont look. when the sidewall wears down, flip them both round...

why would you put a tyre on backwards? end of you dont, because if you do, your an idiot.

Because the shape of the tread allows for more friction depending on which way round the tyre is fitted. The treads are similar to a circular saw blade, if you fit it the right way it'll cut properly as the teeth will dig in and force the material out the way, if its fitted the wrong way it might still work, but it won't be as good.

The maxxis tyres are designed with grip and easy rolling in mond, so they can be used on both wet muddy surfaces and harder road-like surfaces. Seeing as you don't travel very far in trials you can fit it the wrong way and the life span won't be that much different yet the grip will be increased.

Its simple logic really, if you don't get it... your an idiot. :P

For street trials, it wont make a difference, for other diciplines i can see why it would, but you just dont need all that much grip for street trials.

Some people still ride in the wet though, it'd make a difference there. Some people pinch gap on the last inch of a wall, it'd make a difference there and some people like to try things they might not make, in which case it'd definately make a difference there. At the expense of the minimal difference between wear rates i'd say its not going to make a difference to the wear life, but every little bit of extra grip helps. So why not? It could be all the difference between making your highest tap ever or just simply slipping down it.

Some people still ride in the wet though, it'd make a difference there. Some people pinch gap on the last inch of a wall, it'd make a difference there and some people like to try things they might not make, in which case it'd definately make a difference there. At the expense of the minimal difference between wear rates i'd say its not going to make a difference to the wear life, but every little bit of extra grip helps. So why not? It could be all the difference between making your highest tap ever or just simply slipping down it.

Verry well said :)