Front Is The New Rear.

MadsP

I think the sudden force applied on the application of a disc brake on a fast downhill section, with a 17 stone rider might be little greater.

Maybe so I personally haven't got a clue which would generate the greater force but in my head thats just the way I see it.

The way I see it a brake slows down it dosen't just lock on instantly with regards to downhill. I think maybe the shock of a trials rider jerking it with a low gear ratio might be a little too much. I'm probably wrong but like I said thats just the feeling I get.

I wonder if you could stick some spacers on it and then mount the disc on there too :P

left hand drive and disc? i reckon that could work if you spaced it right...would need to get some bmx cranks with lefthand nano drive. but then you couldnt use ffw. are there and lhd ffw cranks?

I'm all up for innovation and stuff, but this just makes me think "why".

Fixie bikes usually use screw on sprockets and they encounter a lot of issue with sprockets unscrewing themselves while braking, threads stripping... This seems like a pretty cheap and effective solution to that!

surely if would be simpler just to buy a rear hub?

I mean if they only have them with 135mm spacing at the moment you would have to run your stock with a FFW and i havent seen one of them for years! which i dont completely understand!

what, you havent seen a stock with FFW? i run it, ryan trott runs it, some bloke on an ozonys runs an eno.......its really quite popular!

Thats very clever. May save weight for stock riders instead of running a rear pro2 use a front but the disadvantage is your not gonna get the nice click to it.

You still need a freewheel, so why wouldn't it click? an eno sounds better than a pro2 in my opinion anyway.....

Fixie bikes usually use screw on sprockets and they encounter a lot of issue with sprockets unscrewing themselves while braking, threads stripping... This seems like a pretty cheap and effective solution to that!

Aaah I see.

Gets rid of all the hassle of having trouble removing the sprocket when it needs replacing too I guess.

what, you havent seen a stock with FFW? i run it, ryan trott runs it, some bloke on an ozonys runs an eno.......its really quite popular!

What i said was i remember quite a few people running them years back but not seen many recently, thats not me saying no one does!

but still this would be aimed at stock riders, i dont think many would be intrested although i may be wrong!

i think the time and hasle you spend doing this along with money it may have been easier to just get a rear hub?

I dont know, i cant see myself ever using one!

Only downside is the bearings aren't as far apart as with a standard back hub, so there will be more bending in the axle. Given that I had an axle fail in a 2007 XTR rear hub (On an XC bike), shimano aren't doing great on that even with the hubs they've designed for rear wheel use...

Its all clever and that but in reality this is just a massive bodge!? Surely if you want to run a fixed rear hub, the logic would be to go out and buy a trails specific fixed rear hub!?

It's not designed for trials, people were just suggesting it. As it happens, front disc hubs are usually pretty cheap and light, so with what should be a relatively cheap conversion kit you could have a nice fixed back wheel for very little money.

It's actually tempted me, my fixie's got a f**ked back wheel at the moment...

If you were worried about stripping thead and that, why not get a normal rear disc hub then put a sprocket on the disc mount and run it the other way around?

Because then you could quite easily strip the thread but when pedalling forwards instead of braking.

edit: just re-read it, got the wrong idea.

Edited by harmertrials