The Lightest Trials Bike

Zordon

I've always wanted to make the lightest possible trials bike specification. Finally found some time. Here we go:

post-1024-1204311181_thumb.jpg

Many of these weights are estimated, so the final weight surely isn't the most accurate (can be +-200g, I think). I believe there is still some room for improvements. If you have some ideas, tell me :)

The bike wouldn't be suitable for tgs. Perhaps it wouldn't last too long. Anyway, probably it could withstand one comps.

Don't ask me if I'm gonna build that, I'm not :D (ask Adam from Tarty instead)

there's light and there's practial, a heavier bike with grippier tyres or better brakes will always ride better than a light bike with slippery tyres and less effective brakes.

Adams bike is light, but he hasnt comprimised with tyres or brakes, same with stan, all the parts are dependable but its still a VERY light bike.

i know you all like light bikes an all, but surely you want a little bit of weight, like: i like my back wheel weighing a bit more so when i gap its easier to go further...well thats for my style anyway....is this not the same for anyone else?

Yup. Everytime i go on a light bike. I get scared. 'Shit somethings gonna' break'. I can't actually do anything on a light bike. When i gap, on a light bike, it just flys from underneath me. My bike has to be heavy lol.

Danny.

What is Extralight Ultrabrake ?

6.7 is just mad

Edit: some drilling could make it lighter.

Sorry my bad, it's Extralite

Two of those ridiculously expensive yet massively light vee's would get the weight down a bit ;)

Can't remember the name, but they were posted up a while ago.

You probably mean Kcnc. I could of included this in my list but I'm afraid it wouldn't of been a trials bike anymore. That's why I added rear dengura and front proper v-brake with trials pads.

Edited by zordon

I totally agree with Ali, theres nothing wrong with modern technology, its the way forward. But why has everybody suddenly become weight freaks, especially when the majority of people on the froum are street riders, (i know there are quite a few comp riders, including myself, but probably more street). I just dont really understand, im not knocking the lad for what he's done, fair enough, thats the lightest bike you're going to get, but like Ali said, its got to ride well and be dependable.

Im a bit dubious when it comes to all these uber lightweight components, yes i want a light bike, but i also need it to last a while. Maybe these companies believe they'll make more money if people will just buy the same component again when it breaks. At the end of the day its the safety of the rider thats most important, i hope the testing has been thorough seen as there are no safety standards.

But anyway, time will tell and we shall see...

Andrew

i know you all like light bikes an all, but surely you want a little bit of weight, like: i like my back wheel weighing a bit more so when i gap its easier to go further...well thats for my style anyway....is this not the same for anyone else?

Would you buy a heaveir tennis racket so you could hit the ball further? :P

Would you buy a heaveir tennis racket so you could hit the ball further? :P

Actually, yes you would. :lol:

With a heavier racket you can get more power behind it, but it's harder to change direction and shit. I used to play a bit.

If you wait a few months, you can get the new DOB Magnesium forks. the 26in forks weigh 690g, so expect the 20in mod forks to weigh around 620g.

I hope they will come in v-brake version too. Otherwise it won't lower the total weigh as I'll have to put a disc brake and disc hub.

If we are speaking about xc/road bikes, Rob, your find isn't the lightest :-

Scott Scale Limited '05 - 5878 g (cross country)

scale_limited_01.jpg

Agresti U2 - 4166,9 g (road)

bike.jpg

Edited by zordon

I like my bike to have a bit of weight too. I find you can keep the momentum going a little. I think it can make the riding look smoother too as it naturally speeds up and slows down in a more normal manner, rather than jumping around all over the place.

When I used to jump on Dave's KOT, with his super thin tyres and latex inner tubes, I couldn't get on with it at all :( But hey, I weigh nearly a third more than him - so it's all relative.

I saw that a while back, he cut his Ti bars down?! Idiot!

I think some people get carried away with the lightness and don't really know what they're doing.

As for trials bikes, they've always been light, well as far back as i can remember. We've always been set on having a lighter bike it's just a fashion thing now.

Some people laugh as i've spent on Ti parts yet ride heavy tyres, (both trials and bmx), but i'd always take the performance over the weight to make a bike ride how i want it.

I think some people get carried away with the lightness and don't really know what they're doing.

As for trials bikes, they've always been light, well as far back as i can remember. We've always been set on having a lighter bike it's just a fashion thing now.

Some people laugh as i've spent on Ti parts yet ride heavy tyres, (both trials and bmx), but i'd always take the performance over the weight to make a bike ride how i want it.

I'm the same, I love my weight weenying, but if it don't ride nice, it's all useless.

Hence, bashplate instead of ring, lite forks instead of carbons, and a front Try-All tyre instead of that super light bmx one everyone keeps telling me to get.

Some people Dan Ko laughs as i've spent on Ti parts yet ride heavy tyres, (both trials and bmx), but i'd always take the performance over the weight to make a bike ride how i want it.

I bet half those weights are wrong, and then you have to add on a bit more for extra bits like cables, grease, dirt etc. So I doubt it's under 7kg. Would be interesting to see one built up though.