My Free Bike Postage Idea

*PHIL*

this is more of a 'how safe is a bike lock' thread now.

as for the terrorist thing... not sure how they could think a bike is a bomb... i think if you were a bit more sneaky and walked down a few carriages before getting off the train they wouldn't see you.

this was only an idea after all, just wanted to discuss it and see if it might be possible, id never actually do it.

there's 9999 combinations for a 4-ring lock, and 999 for a 3 ring, i've only had to open 3 ring ones, and it's taken me around half an hour. A 4 ring one should take about 5 hours to go through entirely...

you know, that's a long time...

If you count 0000 and 000, there are 10 000 and 1000 combinations respectively...

That extra one makes all the difference! :P

Bullshit, theres thousands of combinations of numbers it could be, that'd take more like 10 hours not 1/2 hour.

We forgot the code on a suitcase took it to shop it literally took this women 1 min to unlock it.Dont take long if your good at it.

We forgot the code on a suitcase took it to shop it literally took this women 1 min to unlock it.Dont take long if your good at it.

yea, and thats without damaging the lock, some family friends of ours had locked there bikes to a gas canister outside their caravan(holiday style caravan,there not pikeys) was a 4 number one, chain on it, with like a plastic guard round the chain. took us about 30 minutes to get it unlocked, hardest bit is gettin the first number (as the lock will have some play in it, and by pulling the 2 halves apart as you rotate the numbers, you can feel the amount of play in it increase.) by the time youve got the first number(as the play doesnt really increase much till youve got 2 numbers right) it takes about 30 seconds for each of the last two numbers, as its real obvious when they click in)

not to mention apart from the risks of conning/it getting stolen, the cost of a lock that youd trust to keep your bike secure, is probably going to cost as much as postage, and unless the guy the other end wants to buy a lock to go with his new bike, and you buy him one, then your going to be however much a lock costs out of pocket.

its a fairly stupid idea, unless you live like a short train journey away, in which case its a lot easier just to meet up.either via train, or via car.

My Echo is locked into the garage floor with a chain so thick, I have to twist it from one side to the other to get the links through the frame. The lock itself uses a pissing little key, but I am told it is a very secure lock.

Get through that you bastards! (Grinder under the bench).

i think this idea becomes really difficult as soon as you hit routes with train changes

My Echo is locked into the garage floor with a chain so thick, I have to twist it from one side to the other to get the links through the frame. The lock itself uses a pissing little key, but I am told it is a very secure lock.

Get through that you bastards! (Grinder under the bench).

if the key is small(thin), there's less space for lock picking tools to get in (Y)

What about if the guy at the other end gets stopped for robbing the bike? Because he will just be walking onto the trian with nothing, getting a bike then going. He will have no prove that it is his. and will get in shite for it.

Yeah that was my question.

Or what if you go to the wrong bike carriage? Some trains have two and cant find the bike?

May aswell pay either for the postage or pay a quid extra meet the buyer and hand over the bike.

yeah i was just saying its not too different if you take away the illegal-ness of it, obv you would just not book a train ticket..

maybe if they had 2 bikes on the train and only one booked in they might suss

yep, i like to live on the edge

if you want to live on the edge im more than happy to wait at the otehr end if you want to send me your bike

haha you muppets why would you spend all day on a train when you could just post the bike?!?! haha

for me:

1) i'd enjoy the journey, i don't go on trains that much

2) i'd get to see a different city/town

3) i'd get to exchange goods in person, always a good thing