Strength Or Skill?

TrialKid32

well i think it is a bit of both. you need some strenght to lift the bike onto the back wheel but skill to get up what you are wanting to get up. Like sidehops for example, there are so many different techniques and they all mostly lead to the same outcome.

There's lodes of different veiws on whats most important. You could argue that you would need power

to launch yourself up/along but then again i know quite a few very very good riders that don't have much muscle ect

But are still amazing then however you can't just be powerful and not skilled because that power would have nowhere to go

just my oppinion but i'm 50/50 on this one.

Rick

Skill...... A week skillfull rider can perform moves even if they are not big, a strong unskilled rider looks like an idiot when he goes to the gym every night only to fail at being able to truckstand. I am not saying being strong doesnt help but you need the skill to put that strength to good use.

well i think it is a bit of both. you need some strenght to lift the bike onto the back wheel but skill to get up what you are wanting to get up. Like sidehops for example, there are so many different techniques and they all mostly lead to the same outcome.

Hardly. its more about body position, movement and appling pressure to pedals

Hey Liam! Welcome to the world of Trials!

In response to your question:

I think it varies from rider to rider.

There are a few different ways to get up onto a block, for example.

Yes, you could just lunge at the block and physically wrench the bike up onto it, but also you could skillfully pop the front wheel onto the top then by a simple weight shift bring the back wheel up there too. Both styles will acheive the same result, one will look smoother, granted, but as long as you're up there and happy with how you did it, it shouldn't matter.

It's all about having fun and learning. As a good riding buddy of mine says, "It doesn't matter how you got up it, mate, just as long as you did".

You can make an awful lot of effort for youself trying power moves and such where you could just be smooth instead. Some moves do require being able to manhandle the bike, but a lot of it is just about weight-shifting and technique.

Something else to bear in mind is that if you're only just starting out, both your strength AND technique will improve anyway.

On a similar note, have you seen any videos of 'Bigman' riding?

The guy is big and burly and looks like he could easily pull your head off, but he's all about the smoooooooth... He never looks as though he's having to muscle the bike around because he just flows...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that every rider adapts to their own strengths and weaknesses.

I've been on rides recently with a guy who's name I sadly forget, but I swear the kid looks about 9 and he's up and over stuff twice as high as I can manage! I'd happily say I could benchpress this kid without thinking twice, but he knows how to work his bike.

Yeah, so just to re-iterate; you'll find your own style, whether it be power or technique, and you'll get as good as you believe you can.

Now get out there and ride!

:)

- Adi -

big enough head ash?

i recon skill more than strength

not really, look at people like andy ball, been riding a 1/4 of the time i have and is basically at the same level, hes f**kin tanked. strength plays a massive factor IMO, damon uses the gym loads, shows...

London Martin from South Africa anyone? Anyone who's rode london with him will understand

0 techniquie

Massive guns...

Scary to watch but he goes huge!

that's not very nice simpsman....he does have some technique! but it's true...he has huuuuuugeness (Y)

i am so weak!! and skinny!