Bad Things That Bike Shops Have Done To You/your Bike.

Daborn Meister

Well basically thought it would be interesting to start a topic about annoying bike shops who never really do what you want!

This is mine:

I walked in to the bike shop about one week a go asking them to give me a quote for how much it would cost to fix my rear brake ( only a quote because i was looking around my area to look at different prices)

well its been a week now and i have just recently phoned them up.

Heres what they said:

"Oh yes, we have fixed your bike, we're waiting for the manager to price it up now"

Well they fixed it (Kind of good) but no quote (what i asked for).

Turns out i got to pay £50 just for rear hydraulic brake and they have also decided to tighten the chain (didn't ask for that!)

Oh well it's done now.

Now lets hear your bad experiences with the bike shop!

Daborn Meister

Joe

Grips....

They're a main hope distributor, i needed an adaptor to run big rotors.

Matt: "hey, bit of a long shot but do you have any +40 adaptors in stock?"

Man: "err, i think so, one minute..."

5 minutes later..

Man: "there you go, £15 please."

Matt: "Thats a +20......"

Man: "ahhh well you've got to get this, then get another half a caliper, pull yours apart put the new one on and then re bleed the brake, we can do it all for you if you like?"

Matt: "i do actually know what i'm on about and what I want, don't try to rip me off."

*Walks out with the warm feeling that grips have done their usual*

They annoy me greatly. Charge £40 to fit a set of maggies too.. gypsies. (not from my own experience as i can do my own :P "

Took my wheel to be build up, as i didnt have time to do it myself. I gave him my wheel ( koxx rim with king ) and a new rim. I asked if he could change my rim as mine was egg shaped. He gave me a ring day after to say it was done.

I went down to pick it up with the rest of my bike, got the wheel, went to fit it to my bike and noticed that my axle was in two pieces, b*****d had broke it. The funniest parts is that i went to him and said that he had broken it. He said that he hadnt even though i had only gone 3 step before i noticed it. I ended up arguing with guy and got a cheap hd axle in the end. Thats my little rant over feel better for that.

Jon

Edited by koxxlevel

I had twin hope disks on my pashley (8 years ago!) and I ripped the hose out in a crash. I took it to my lbs (cycle grear in halifax at the time) and they bled both brakes for me (rear brake was fine though:() they bled them so that the levers only moved 5mm before biting......I couldnt use them properly and did badly in my comp I had the next day. Ohwell

Was told this by someone so its not me but anyways

A lad phones trialsuk and wants a black neon frame, trials uk dont have them in stock so dan sprays a blue frame black and stickers it up. Packages it before dry and when the guy unraps it the black paint comes off.

A lad phones trialsuk and wants a black neon frame, trials uk dont have them in stock so dan sprays a blue frame black and stickers it up. Packages it before dry and when the guy unraps it the black paint comes off.

Joke maybe? We would have heard before now if that was the case surely? :ermm:

Joke maybe? We would have heard before now if that was the case surely? :ermm:

wasnt a joke, i thought that aswell, but the person said dan got topic removed, or may be he wasnt a tf user.

i would say who told me but ill keep it to meself for various reasons.

Edited by basher

wasnt a joke, i thought that aswell, but the person said dan got topic removed, or may be he wasnt a tf user.

Could be true... Dan does offer a custom paint job service but thats silly because if you want it done properly, you would want it powder coated and that means heating up the frame in a big oven, and that would surely remove the warranty before you even get the bike!

Anyones views on that topic starer lol.....

:P

Ive never paid a bike shop to do anywork to any of the bikes ive owned cause its simply not needed.

buy some tools and some common sense.

No sympathy.

I agree with that...

Also, on the topic of the Dan painting a frame thing... if a car manufacturer didn't offer a car in a certain colour you wouldn't ring them up and be like "I want this car in this colour, do it for me"

If you want a frame painted in a colour that it doesn't come in, then buy it and do it yourself.

Heard that to, but heard it was a gold frame he sprayed blue. When getting it out of packaging, he could smell paint, and when he got it out of the bubble wrap there was a bubble wrap print on the frame.

years ago i went to my local hellfraud with a broken mech hanger and got them to order me a new one in,after 5months or so and after several wrong hangers i finally got the correct one.

also at the same store i order a new headset and they said they're give me a call when it arrives ,luckly i didnt pay for it when i ordered it as im still waiting 2 and a half years on :ermm:

happy days ,i do all my own maintenance now so its ok (Y)

steve

Edited by banbury trials

Took my bike to halfords to get my brake bleed.

Gave them like a half filled big bottle of mineral oil to do it with.

Went to pick it up next day.

they said it was done, I pulled the brake in and the pistons didnt even start to move until it got like 5mm away from the bars.

Also got oil all over my front disk and oil all over my rim which then involed grinding my rim and gettin new disk pads,Which I robed from Halfords anyway.

A lot of trials uk topics get removed from tf. It's probably true. If not it'd sound like something he'd do. :lol:

Went in, i knew what was broken so i told the guy to change it for me :)

Came back few days later to hear how he had changed loads of bits n wanted full payment, Fat Old C*nt!

Do all work myself now, be honest its not exactly complicated to fix a trials bike (Y)

Sam.

Edited by monty221pr

Took my bike in to be built as i didn't want to screw it up, they rung me up later that day and said you dont have a freewheel (i was running ff) i said i was and it was on the front behind the bashring, so can you put a fixed cog on it? they said ok. Went to pick it up and they had put a 16tooth dicta freewheel on the back which cancelled out the engagement of my tryall freewheel on the front. I only realised when i got home, so after that im never going there again.

hahaha 2 freewheels thats rich!!

My fav bike shop is super, the guys their both ride or rode trials and are super smart.

Some other ones though are just crazy.

Me and my friend walk in to pick up the bike he left there 2 weeks ago for a tune up. They said the bike wasnt quite ready so we waited 20 mins then they brought it out and it was clear they had done nothing but wipe the dirt off and oil the chain(but not clean it!). But w/e it was like a 10 buck tune. So my friend hops on his bike and wheels it to the door. But he grabs his rear disc as we left and it made a bad squeak so he went back and said yo why is it squeaking. I clearly saw that the pads were adjusted wrong but didnt say nothing. The tech looks and says one sec, he comes back 2 mins later with a bottle of dw40 and soaks the brake and pad!!!.

WTF are u retarted?? Lube on a rotor damn i nearly dropped him lol!!