Plastic Push-in Seats Just Got Awesome.

Mark W

tn2_sillin%20uno.jpg

24" riders: Get involved.

New stuff. Uno seat. By david on March 28, 2008

Ruben had this idea of a 1 piece seat about 1 year and a half ago. since then we have been working with our seat maker to achieve the exact structure and material that we wanted. Another difficult and long project. Our plan was to show it to you when we receive the final samples for all the riders, in a few weeks, but looks like once again, having a project in process for a long time is not safe these days. So here it is.

Our main goal with this seat where to have a strong but nice structure. I think we came with a really clean one. The material is another important thing. It´s not just plastic. But we´ll tell you about this a bit later. here are the photos of the last sample. We´ll show you the final one with the final colors hopefully at the end of april. It will be available on late summer. We are so excited about this project! Hope you like it!

In related seat news, Eclat have just released some nice ones - go to http://www.eclatbmx.com and click -> until you get to the blue/brown seats with holes in 'em. They take a regular post, but they're sweet...

Ruben seems to be really pushing the innovation side of things in BMX...

rubens-bike.JPG

The seat/post looks like an interesting solution, material looks like some kind of fibreglass reinforced rapid prototype resiny stuff...

I havent looked or read etc, but i no with like the new heatsink and inspired, alot of people are running the posts wrong way round, what would the tyre clearence be on one of those ?

It's currently all about pivotal setups, but that might eventually change from the looks of things... Neither those or the above setup could be run 'slammed' on the Heatsink Mk2 but would work no problem on an Inspired.

Just change the seat tube angle, surely?

Yeah, that's sorta what I thought. Keep all the stuff the same, just have the seat-stays a little longer and the top-tube fracitonally shorter, then tilt the seat-tube forward 1-2°. We'll see. I think raising it would be a good idea anyway. The frames look a bit over-built, so having them more spaced out instead of really compact might make them a little more aesthetically pleasing.

Isn't that kind of ironic?!

I don't really understand how you mean it's ironic...

I don't really understand how you mean it's ironic...

Probably not so ironic then.

You give trials riders a low frame for clearance yet it ends up being in the way. I know it's not exactly a pure trials frame so stand over height isn't in as much need.

Yeah, I don't really get why people are complaining that the 24UK is too low. It does feel a bit different having a seat, and I suppose some people might argue that they actually find it useful. But I suspect it's mainly a cosmetic thing ;)

Part of it is probably largely gonna be down to looks, but as well as that, if people actually start doing real street on it (e.g. Barspins) then they're gonna need their seat to be in a better position. Plus non-slammed seats on low stand-over frames is a massive aesthetic faux pas :P

Part of it is probably largely gonna be down to looks, but as well as that, if people actually start doing real street on it (e.g. Barspins) then they're gonna need their seat to be in a better position. Plus non-slammed seats on low stand-over frames is a massive aesthetic faux pas :P

Oh sorry, I didn't realise street = barspins :P

But seriously, is a push-in seat going to be any use at all for barspins/no handers/whatever?

Oh sorry, I didn't realise street = barspins :P

But seriously, is a push-in seat going to be any use at all for barspins/no handers/whatever?

It was more of a suggestion of doing 'tricks' as opposed to just doing lines, barspins are the main 'seat' trick. 'though if you wanna do a Danny Mac and rinse stuff like footjam whips to oblivion, having a lower seat, more out of the way, would probably be a bonus for stepping over to the pedals again.

This is a really, really old video, but Eddie Cleveland barely runs a seat at all, and seems pretty at home with the ol' barspins:

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">