Backflip On A Mtb?

austen

Basicaly, i am thinking of trying a backflip at my local trails in inverness on my Dmr, and i was wondering if there was anyone on here that rides dirtjump as well as trials and that can do a backflip?

If there is, any pointers for my first attempt?

I don't really fancy landing on my head and braking my neck :giggle:

Cheers Austen.

Edited by austen

It's quite a way away, but maybe going to the Transition Extreme (Or whatever it's called) skatepark in Aberdeen and sending it to the foam a couple of times might be an idea?

If not, I'd honestly recommend getting some old mattresses or something like that and laying them on the top of a tabletop just so you can try and get a feel of it, 'cos you seriously aren't going to be riding out of it first go...

It's quite a way away, but maybe going to the Transition Extreme (Or whatever it's called) skatepark in Aberdeen and sending it to the foam a couple of times might be an idea?

If not, I'd honestly recommend getting some old mattresses or something like that and laying them on the top of a tabletop just so you can try and get a feel of it, 'cos you seriously aren't going to be riding out of it first go...

there isn't a foam pit there, at least I don't think there is.

Theres not a foam pit in Aberdeen, there is in Dumbarton.

I cant be bothered dragging matress's down to the trails, so i was thinking just kiss my balls good bye and go for it?

My girlfriend is going to be there so i will defenetly try it, she made me do 360's.

I know i wont be riding out of it first time, just want to give it a shot? a 14 year old doing a backflip whos been riding 2 years? sounds pretty good to me :P

foam pits and water are for pussies, go out have a good think about it then go for it.

I love people that say shit like this to be cool.

I've backflipped A dmr sidekick, Monty X-lite, loads of bmx's and a 14" wheel bmx B) . You'll not do it first try i promise. I know amazing, AMAZING, riders, that are 100% sure they can do them, then go to the foam and realise they just haven't got that bit in their head that allows them to go upside down and not jump off.

You never know if you can until you try.

Imagine the lip of the take off continues up and round like a full pipe. Don't pull a manual up the ramp, but as you go up pull back with your whole body. Not just your head like some people say. All that does is make you jump up looking at the sky and land on your back.

I learnt to flip after 3 months of bmx. It's one of the easiest tricks to learn, technically. If you have it sussed in your head you can do it.... I'm trying to find a video of me learning...

never said it to be cool lol I wouldn't do it. when i learned to backflip (without a bike) I said shouldn't I be using mats and stuff but if you've learned all the theory for it and built up to it properly, it's worth just going and doing it instead of messing with foam pits and water surely.

I've been strapped to backboards with a suspected broken neck, no teeth, broken nose and torn neck ligaments from a flip. And that was when i could already do them! In my eyes there is no point risking so much when you have aids to help you learn without potentially killing yourself, which isn't an outrageous thing to say. Steven murray...

If you have safer ways to learn it then use them. Don't worry, when you learn them in foam, it doesn't make the first try on a ramp any less scary!

yerr, I suppose it's a bit different when you have a bike. Maybe foam is a good idea after all. I don't want to be partially responsible for you going out and damaging yourself.

athough I'm still sure that if you did just learn it in your head and go for it then you might not come off badly at all.

I'd rather just go for it at the trails, im gunna like wear a full face helmet. I was going to wear armour, but i hate the stuff <_<

The way i was going to do it was:

1,As i approach the jump, get ready to thro the bike backwards.

2,As i take off look back to the sky pull the bars into me.

3,Keep pulling + looking back.

4, When im upside down, sh*t myself, and pull the big back round.

5, When im like in a nose dive pull up spot the landing and land?

Is this right?

yeah please find that video of you learning :rolleyes:

I'd rather just go for it at the trails, im gunna like wear a full face helmet. I was going to wear armour, but i hate the stuff <_<

Is this right?

Please can you film and post the failure up here :P

Please can you film and post the failure up here

Cheers for the confidence mate!

Yeah ill defenetly get it filmed, if i dont die i will post it up :P

Oh and cheers for that video tom! Was that bongo's first attempts?

Id strongly recommend not making your first attempt onto something solid. Ive spent more than enough time at Corby foam pit to know that basically no one makes it round first time. I've seen probably 30 people make first attempts and they all seem to back out fractionally before taking off, meaning they have no chance of getting round and just land upside down or usually on their back. I took 2 attempts before I could make myself commit, and another about 3 attempts to get the technique close enough that Id possibly ride away. Took probably 20 attempts before I could confidently know Id ride out of it.

Id also like to add that each time Ive been back to Corby since learning, the first attempt at flipping has been terrible, and if they had been onto solid ground I would have very seriously injured myself. Flips are serious tricks, even once you've landed one, come back a week later and you're first one is still likely to be crappy enough to hurt yourself.

Mike.

Cheers for the confidence mate!

Yeah ill defenetly get it filmed, if i dont die i will post it up :P

Oh and cheers for that video tom! Was that bongo's first attempts?

Well, I'm afraid you were never goign to do it first. And a first attempt onto something solid will just be a ride ender.Although it will be cool to see how close you get for a first time.

I've backflipped A dmr sidekick, Monty X-lite, loads of bmx's and a 14" wheel bmx B) . You'll not do it first try i promise. I know amazing, AMAZING, riders, that are 100% sure they can do them, then go to the foam and realise they just haven't got that bit in their head that allows them to go upside down and not jump off.

You never know if you can until you try.

Imagine the lip of the take off continues up and round like a full pipe. Don't pull a manual up the ramp, but as you go up pull back with your whole body. Not just your head like some people say. All that does is make you jump up looking at the sky and land on your back.

I learnt to flip after 3 months of bmx. It's one of the easiest tricks to learn, technically. If you have it sussed in your head you can do it.... I'm trying to find a video of me learning...

I love the video of you flipping the monty out of the quarter, you just sort plop onto the top perfectly.

Is this right?

From my limited experience into a foampit (went in for a bit at Corby, kinda got flips after 10 goes or so but not confidently or nothing and then got bored of climbing out of the foam and waiting about so went to the street course) that second step isn't tooo good. Pulling the bars into you won't do alot as you need to kinda use your weight more then the bikes as you're alot heavier then the bike(even if your 14 and ride a 24" :P). The people who land them seem to be the ones who don't arch their backs with the bars into their dick. That's just an upside down bar shag to head lander.

The ones who land them seem to have their knees bent and crouch more as instead of just pulling the bike and hoping their body wiull go with it they pull their body so that the bike will go with it.

I can't explain it, foam is reccomended but if your serious then i've seen people learn it on concrete. Never getting it first go but kinda landing to roughly two wheels and then collapsing, then getting it after about 5-10 of them.

your 14 if you do a backflip i will eat my very large shoe!

Thats a pretty stupid thing to say...

I know an 8 year old who would own you on a trials bike.

-

Good luck to you mate (Y) If you've got the confidence to do it you WILL do it.

When i used to skateboard i told myself i could tail-stall revert off the vert at Playstation, everyone said i couldn't. So i didn't...I felt like SUCH a pussy on the train on the way home that i went there the next weekend, hopped onto the ramp and did it first time.

So tell yourself you can do it....Then DO IT ! If theres any doubt in your mind you won't pull it off theres no point. Because you'll hesitate and won't make the full revolution.

Edited by ✠Pashley26✠

As everyone keeps saying, I know i probably wont ride out of it first time, but when i go for it, there will be no hesitation ill just full on go for it.

I'm not going to bother going to foam pits, it will cost too much money and i've said im going to try it, so im not going to pussy out, i hate pussying out once you've said your going to do something cause then you feel like such a pussy untill you do actualy try it >_<

Im not really trying it onto something solid? Dirt isnt that solid? I know its alot harder than foam but still :P And as some riders say " Pain is temporary glory is forever" :P

What you might want to do is make yourself a soft landing, losse packed dirt maybe. Also you might wanna try it on a table top first if theres one at your jumps. Also over rotating is gonna be better than under rotating, at least your gonna right way up(sorta). But i must say you have serious balls trying them first on dirt. Remember to film it aswell

good luck