The London Marathon 2009

munkee

Right.. basically what i want to know from people that have run long distances is...

Say i were to run the london marathon vs a friend. She is training for the 2009 london one..whilst im not going to bother.

26 miles might seem far but lets face it IF you pace yourself i reckon its do able. Now the problems i face...

I dont like running because im shit at running.. 200m sprint.. im fine with that but long distances are a no go.. so basically without "Running Training" what can i do to help myself here?

This mainly stemmed from a .. i reckon i can do the marathon and her saying no u will die without any training.. then me pointing out about the 91 year old bloke that ran it.. so if he can im sure a 22 year old with 0 training can?

Ermm.. if you want to run the whole way then no probaly not, but if you will just jog then walk you should finish. Plus if your racing her and she's been training you wont stand a chance.

And then theres things like blisters to think about, if your running alot before hand you feet will toughen up if you dont then well it wont be comfertable at all.

Oh and the guy was 101 which is even more incredible but he was an ex army PT instructor who will have been running way before our parents were even born.

You'll probaly pass out and die if you dont train. You wont be expecting it to be as long as it is. 26 mile is long way, having ran cross country at county level that was hard enough i gave up in the end because i couldnt be bothered with the training, whish id kept it up now, theres some fit lasses that do it now!

hmmm.. k.. i think im still going to give it a go..i mean people run it in scooby doo costumes and stuff? if i can work my way to the front at the very start ill get a pretty big lead sorted since everyone near the back walks to start with? like im thinking sprint 2 miles.. then have a bit of a breather.. then give it another go

hmmm.. k.. i think im still going to give it a go..i mean people run it in scooby doo costumes and stuff? if i can work my way to the front at the very start ill get a pretty big lead sorted since everyone near the back walks to start with? like im thinking sprint 2 miles.. then have a bit of a breather.. then give it another go

That idea is even stupider than the one about no training. Sprint two miles..... doubt you'd manage 800 metres.

plane1xv9.jpg

That shit ain't gonna fly.

Bear in mind that there are people who properly train for it who still don't finish. And the amount of pain/blistering/shit they have to go through in training before they're even half-way capable of doing the marathon.

The marathon isn't about "just doing it" - Its dedication, commitment, and raising a shit load of money for charity, and it does matter what time you do it in... if your not going to break like 4.30 then why bother? People dont sponser you for turning up and "giving it a bash" they sponser your hard work etc. You won't get any satisfaction from knowing you did it your worse

Get some heeleys and you woill be fine

(Y) hold onto one of the wheelchairs :P

Honestly, if you really want to do it, the very least you could do is just to try and run 26 miles anywhere. Then you know how long it will be, how knackered you will get, what happens to your feet, and where you are likely to stop, because for 0 training, I doubt you will make the whole 26 miles on your first go.

THEN, once you realise what kind of task it is, you'll know if you can really be arsed.

Alternatively, you could do as I say, do the 26 miles, realise what its going to take, and do some training for the next one.

(Y)

You don't run alot do you?

oh and plus the people in the scooby suits are probaly very very fit people.

pace yourself and youll get it, but you will need to train a bit. at least find a reasonable pace where you can go for 10miles without walking and your fine. i do a bit of running just to keep fit, usually only 5 miles though, but ive been about 15miles at the same pace in my days when i didnt go to fast food shops regulaly. :P

good luck cause it sounds like you need it

Edited by Bearded Midget

you're good at the 200 meters but you reckon you could sprint 2 miles. You know that your supposed to not breath when you sprint, most people can't sprint 300 meters. if you mean flat out then 2 slow miles then flat out again in a coast and burn fashion then you'd be mistaken you'll sap all your energy in the first couple of miles. a steady pace is much more efficient.

I reckon if i was going to do it with some serious training I'd aim to do 8 minute miles for the first year, just to be on the safe side that would give me a time of about 3 1/2 hours which is pretty good and if you feel your easing it for the last couple you can always pick up the pace.

I guess with no training a fairly slow 10-11 minute mile pace would be ok

anyway, I would do some 'secret training' don't tell your friend and at the end just be like 'see told you.'