Are We Living In A Parallel World/universe

Rusevelt

Had just watched a light-hearted documentary on bbc2 about the possible existence of parallel dimensions. just wondering what memorable life-changing decisions :- have you made in your past life that have ultimately lead you here today :) and what opportunities did you miss out on from those life-changing decisions you regret not making :( ie; falling in love, money or career opportunity. i know on three occasions ive made second decisions that have kept me alive today, and one tv money opportunity lost during my bmx flatland days. and the odd weird dream that never really impacted on my life.

Edited by Rusevelt

Hur, this is interesting.

Anyway, do you think you would still be riding trials in the parallel world?

If parallel worlds really exist, why must they exist?

Are the actions and live you lead in the parallel world same as this current world?

<snip>

Anyway, parallel dimensions/universes are a pretty freaky subject and it probably isn't a good idea to dwell on it too long... If you haven't already, go and watch the Butterfly Effect! Personally it doesn't seem all that plausible to me... I'm all for multiple universes (possibly an infinite number beyond our own) but to me they must exist in their own right and the thought of them being 'aware' of us and our actions seems a bit, well sci-fi. However, having said that there are already many things in our own universe that make effectively no sense whatsoever to our human minds- quantum theory being one of them. Also, I only found out the other day in Bill Bryson that electrons don't actually orbit a nucleus in nice discreet circles like the school books tell but but are in fact everywhere in the electron cloud at once, and at the same time nowhere. Or something like that. Now there's a mindf*#k!

This always happens, someone starts a topic on here and people just go off on one about some stupid (just like I'm doing here) thing no one cares about, topic starter gets angry, topic locked. If some twat didnt say anything, I wouldnt have thought there was much wrong with that post as I didnt have much trouble reading it. Just looks like the rest of this forum to me, so why bring it up.

:D

I always thought there were infinate parallel universes where every scenario is played out, from little things like, finishing your drink or not finishing it, to big things like deciding what you're gonna do with your life. But both can have an equally large impact. Like the film, sliding doors.... And the butterfly effect, although they were quite life changing points in that film anyway.

In-fact now I think about it, there are loads of films like this.. Back to the future?

All those times someone says, "eee what if I'd never have done that, I'd not be here today pet.."... Yeah well, you did, In a parallel universe, deal with it.

I may/may not have completely missed the point in this topic..

I've heard this theory before - every time someone/something has a choice in life, the universe can go in separate directions and that there's a parallel universe somewhere with the other choice. But is there actually a reason to think that might be the case? Or is it just a mindf**k thought up by some crazy dude with no real basis in science?

OK, topic cleaned up, Jebend warned for flaming. Back on topic please

This always happens, someone starts a topic on here and people just go off on one about some stupid (just like I'm doing here) thing no one cares about, topic starter gets angry, topic locked. If some twat didnt say anything, I wouldnt have thought there was much wrong with that post as I didnt have much trouble reading it. Just looks like the rest of this forum to me, so why bring it up.

:D

I pretty much agree with that. But a lot of the time when people nit-pick it's because of other posts by the same person which might have wound them up in the past... But yeah, back on topic now please :)

<snip>

electrons don't actually orbit a nucleus in nice discreet circles like the school books tell but but are in fact everywhere in the electron cloud at once, and at the same time nowhere. Or something like that. Now there's a mindf*#k!

try doing exams on that shit..oh my god...oh no...really really really bad time to have got a new bike :S

i..just..want..to..try..my..new...frame..outside!!!

IF I hadn't moved to Nottingham and stayed in Keighley:

would I be a chav?

would I take up trials?

would I like rock music?

would I play guitar?

would I have been killed?

what would the girls situation be like?

would I even ride a bike properly?

I've heard this theory before - every time someone/something has a choice in life, the universe can go in separate directions and that there's a parallel universe somewhere with the other choice. But is there actually a reason to think that might be the case? Or is it just a mindf**k thought up by some crazy dude with no real basis in science?

I'm fairly sure the idea is based on quantum mechanics and specifically Shrodinger's wave theory, epitomised by the amusing "Schrodinger's Cat" dilemma. I don't think the idea of parallel worlds is given too much credence these days though. I may be totally off but I think the idea is that the sub-atomic 'world' works in terms of probabilities (is that just how we understand it or how it is though?) and to the extent that one thing is possible it occurs in some semi-state only to collapse through being viewed by consciousness. I guess we are asking if the collapse is total or just removed from our awareness, thus a parallel world exists somewhere? I suspect that this just relates to our including ourselves within our calculations. After all, it makes sense to do so when we are integral to all experience. All very interesting stuff though!

Edited by rowly

i think i do believe this parallel universe stuff, for something to get recognition between the scientists must be quite revolutionary.

ive also read that the reason gravity is so many times weaker than the other 3 forces is because its leaking into other dimensions/universes etc.

i dont actually know if it was a reputable source this, but since its all speculation then anything goes ..

I suspect that this just relates to our including ourselves within our calculations.

That's the thing though, with parts of quantum physics you can say that while being observed a particle is neither A nor B and only when the observer looks away will it 'decide' to be either. The inclusion of the conscious observer (i.e. us) just throws in something which seems to make no logical sense! Quantum physics is a strange kettle of fish.

What the hell do fish have to do with it?!

b2239_125.gif

The whole concept of having infinite 'parallel' (though if they all overlap only at certain points then surely they're not) universes is far beyond my head at this time in the day. I'm off for breakfast, maybe a bit of brain food will help, but I can see this becoming "The Relativity Thread" or similar pretty sharpish at this rate!

I'm fairly sure the idea is based on quantum mechanics and specifically Shrodinger's wave theory, epitomised by the amusing "Schrodinger's Cat" dilemma. I don't think the idea of parallel worlds is given too much credence these days though. I may be totally off but I think the idea is that the sub-atomic 'world' works in terms of probabilities (is that just how we understand it or how it is though?) and to the extent that one thing is possible it occurs in some semi-state only to collapse through being viewed by consciousness. I guess we are asking if the collapse is total or just removed from our awareness, thus a parallel world exists somewhere? I suspect that this just relates to our including ourselves within our calculations. After all, it makes sense to do so when we are integral to all experience. All very interesting stuff though!

you're nearly there...! you can only know certain things at certain times, like the location of electrons, spin etc...it all gets rather confusing... the whole probability thing is a strange concept at first. There's places where electrons should be, like..really really..should be, but might not, and others that they just cannot be at all...these theories don't apply on a bigger scale, and i think thats where alot of confusion starts...the microscopic world and the macroscopic are soo different. Atoms don't behave the same way if they're arranged in different ways- surface textures, electronic properties just completely change!

ive also read that the reason gravity is so many times weaker than the other 3 forces is because its leaking into other dimensions/universes etc.

i dont actually know if it was a reputable source this, but since its all speculation then anything goes ..

you probably saw that on Hawking's master of the universe...10 dimensions mate..10 freaking dimensions!! get your head around that...:P

found this on wikipedia- sums it up quite well:

Materials reduced to the nanoscale can show different properties compared to what they exhibit on a macroscale, enabling unique applications. For instance, opaque substances become transparent (copper); inert materials become catalysts (platinum); stable materials turn combustible (aluminum); solids turn into liquids at room temperature (gold); insulators become conductors (silicon). A material such as gold, which is chemically inert at normal scales, can serve as a potent chemical catalyst at nanoscales. Much of the fascination with nanotechnology stems from these quantum and surface phenomena that matter exhibits at the nanoscale.

adam

that sounds well interesting! Completely messes up everything we've learnt about material properties. Interesting to hear that aluminium can combust lol, seeing as though most of our frames are made out of it! Course, I doubt the frames will ever set alight.

On the subject of choices had anyone thought how one choice in life could change everything (in the same universe).

For example, if I decided to go to the toilet before I left my house, and then I get told off by a PCSO (which wouldn't have happened had I not done a number 2), I would get to later and consequently miss the attempt that a crazy axe murderer killed everyone about.

I'm just thinking of all the small choices I have made throughout my life, and I could be a completely different person because of it.

Another example was when I fell off a quarterpipe which put me out of school for a few months due to the damages it caused, as I was at the beginning of secondary school by the time I came back pretty much everyone had made their new friendshp groups and as a result I was pretty much forced to find a new group of people to make friends with, which then directly afffected my lifestyle, when I went out and what I did etc.

In fact, its almost like saying had I not fallen off my bike up a skatepark, I would not be doing trials today as I would not be friends with the people who got me into it.

Edited by Fugley

In fact, its almost like saying had I not fallen off my bike up a skatepark, I would not be doing trials today as I would not be friends with the people who got me into it.

Possibly, but maybe you would have become friends with them anyway after an argument with others or something?

I think things are destined to happen - like Final Destination but no so over the top American lol