Carrier Bag Crisis Of 2008?

JT!

I work in a small shop with maybe a dozen employees. I'm starting to become aware of people absolutely freaking out when I put a 2 liter bottle of milk in a carrier bag, sometimes nearly shouting at me that they don't want a bag as if as soon as the item goes in the bag they're fused together somehow and I'm unable to remove the item from the bag and use it for the next customer. Anyway, they think by using their cotton 'green' bags that smell like pond water and yeast that they're "saving the planet".

However, after thinking about how much a carrier bag actually weighs after reading something on here about it, the amount of bags used by one average person per year surely wouldn't be anymore than the weight of a laptop? Compare that to the amount of plastic or any oil based plastic / polymer that we throw out every day, plastic carrier bags must be on the bottom rung of the ladder when it comes to waste. Look at all the plastic that's on an average fridge, washing machine or milk bottle.

Am I missing the point? Or are people actually thinking they're making a difference by not taking a carrier bag when they buy a 2 liter bottle of milk, even though the carrier is only a fraction of the weight of the plastic packaging for the milk.

Will banning carrier bags make any difference what so ever?

IMO using your own carrier bags or not using any at all by the few people who actually do it will make bugger all difference anyway, theres so much more stuff that is worse in the world that if people thought the same way about as they do there precious carrier bags they may make a difference.

I work in tescos and i get the same when i cant be assed to wait for customers to slowly put there shopping on the belt and pack it themselves so i start packing it and they then freak out and start going oh no dont use those, i want my own bags, im trying to do my bit to save the planet (although most people are kind of sarcastic when they say it) but you still get the few who think they are actually making a difference.

I think its just people jumping on the bandwagon due to the mass of media attention global warming is getting and they seem to think we are evil people if we arent doing our bit.

And another thing to rant about is people using there own carrier bags and then getting there stupid 'green points' for doing so, if you ever forget to put there points on for them then really freak out, its quite amusing, it seems the only reason they use the things is to get some kind of reward (even though how miniscule it is) out of it, which shows for there true intentions of using the bags anyway.

Edited by Bondy

Hehe

My old tactic at the checkouts was to look to see if they had their own bags, and not help pack if they did.

Sometimes I'd get it wrong and they'd say, 'I've got my own bags.' Very rarely would they give them to me to pack for them.

Anyway, it's bad customer service to not ask to help pack, so I've got to ask now.

Perhaps if less carrier bags were used, petrol would be cheaper?

Crazy talk, plastic is refined from oil at a different temperature to petrol, so there would be no change.

It may not have an immediate effect on the environment, but if people are willing to do it for their own satisfaction then I've got no problem if they do so.

The irony being they hop straight into the Chelsea tractors to pick up Barnaby and Jonah from school...

The implication that it might cheapen petrol is silly, petrol makes the world go round, it will have the f**k taxed out of it whatever you do (see other thread for petrol debate).

but if everyone stops using them, I think it will have a bigger impact. so don't write it off, it can only help in the long run.

If I don't need a bag (only buying milk or something, or on rides when I'm about to eat all the food anyway) I usually won't grab one. It's not a superhero notion, I just can't be bothered with faffing around putting things in and out of a bag instantaneously if there's no need

post-5137-1212236028_thumb.jpg

It can be annoying when people come in where I work and say "I don't awnt a bag, i'm saving the planet" or whatever, thinking that if they don't use that bag they're actually making a difference. The bag has already been made! It will be used by other people so there's no point. What's the harm in using the bag then bringing it in to the shop next time they come in? Foo's!

EDIT- Just read some more posts and saw that I basically wrote the same as Rob P... :-

Edited by James-M

the first plastic bag ever made still won't have roted away...

If everyone did a bit then nothing will be fixed, but the speed at which we have been destroying the earth over the last 100 years could slow. Very very small amount maybe, but something is better than nothing, no matter how small.

exactly every little helps. even if it's more hassle than its worth for most.

people who think they'll save the planet on there own by using their own bags are just being naive. But if you think about what would happen if everyone did it thousands of tons of plastic would be saved every year. which means less waste and less for the eco-mentalists to moan about.

I feel really sorry for the people who make carrier bags... Think of the children. Won't somebody please think of the children?

I tend to not feel sorry for machines as they can't think 'oh i wish i wasn't stuck in this job'

Its only because the plastic takes ages to decompose. The ammount of plastic that I chuck away at work is shocking, we could probably make a small island out of it... Plus, the fact that oil is on its way out isnt really helping, and the fumes given off during the manufacturing of the plastic. We have resorted at work to buying recycled plastic to make all of our products out of now, mainly vending cups and CD/ tape cases.

Buy one of the cloth type bags for the £1 or whatever it is, last you a lifetime.

I tend to not feel sorry for machines as they can't think 'oh i wish i wasn't stuck in this job'

Yeah, but if the figures are correct that we use 13 billion bags a year, I bet there are a surprising number of industries and associated people who will be adversely effected by everyone going anti-bag. Just pointing out that there's always another side to all this 'green' propaganda.

It annoys me when all I buy is a sandwich and the checkout people put it in a bag straight away.

I mean, I managed to pick it up, carry it to the queue, wait for 10mins holding it, and then put it on the desk. You'd probably think I could manage taking it outside to eat it? :turned:

Bit more to add...

If people start using their own bags instead of the plastic ones, then there'd be a lot of plastic ones left over. Which'd soon stop them being made, as there's still loads in shops, etc?

Mum uses her own bags, because they're bigger and a bit stronger... and she gets more clubcard points. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dan6061

If they really want everyone to use the reusable bags then why ban the making of bags wouldnt that stop anymore from being made, then once there gone their gone. But then wouldn't that put people out of business? Impacting somewhere else in the business community .

If they really want everyone to use the reusable bags then why ban the making of bags wouldnt that stop anymore from being made, then once there gone their gone. But then wouldn't that put people out of business? Impacting somewhere else in the business community .

No, instead they're encouraging bag for life schemes. Where you don't throw the bag away because you paid for it. Hence reducing the amount of waste because your not going to throw something away you paid for an can use again. Companies that produce plastic carrier bags will instead produce bag for lifes, so nobodys going out of business (if anything they'll make more money because you have to pay for bags now) companies just have to adjust to accomodate the law.

Well yeah, its gonna impact on some people, but there is always going to be a negative effect on someone somewhere no matter what you do.

Lowering petrol taxes is for the good of the nation, but it has a negative effect on certain people. Just as a topical example.