When You Think Old School What Do You Think ?

BenLeacock™

Ditto all the above!

Didnt see any mention of replaying the 30 second clips of Ed Tongue and Peter Kraus in Sprung 3 and 4, or Veedub on his Ellsworth, or the Cresent trials bikes(£700 a frame back then :o ). The powerpro's and ring thing, with v8 pedals were the best part of old school, powerpro's were like disposable lol.

Bikes used to have negative BB rise, 500mm back ends and 12" seat tube was the lowest stand over height available. I remember taking an angle grinder to my frame to get rid of the seat tube lol. Old school was before Deng came along lol.

Best part about old school was that trials wasnt about side hops and measuring each move to the nearest 1/4 inch.

Riders used to use what they had, not moan about what they didnt have. We used to appreciate each and every new trialskings clip, not bitch that the rider/video isnt as good as the last.

Trials as a sport is alot better than what it used to be; with lots of parts readily available and more riders etc. But the attitude of riders as a whole is shit (myself probably included), i find myself biting my lip on group rides when all i can hear is people talking sidehops and inches and who's broke what frame etc.

fletch

Cant go without mention of Dave Marshall's win on the channel 5 TV show Under Pressure lol

Edited by thefletch

1994 or 1995 Monty Catalogue. Check out the adjustable height seat on the 221!

The front cover

Anyone remember Ibex's??

'96 Worlds programme

Inside the back cover

Cheers

Nice scans there! I was getting a bit of deja-vu seeing the old catalogues and worlds programme as I have all those in a box somewhere too. I assume you attended the '96 worlds - did you ride?

I've no idea how many Ibex bikes were made, but I only ever saw two - a 26" one ridden by Ian Cooper at one of the NEMBA series in 95 and the Brentwood village 20" bike originally owned by Stuart Matthews and ridden by pretty much every up and coming Essex club rider. It's probably still going round the white/blue route even now!

Ah, good memories!

Nice scans there! I was getting a bit of deja-vu seeing the old catalogues and worlds programme as I have all those in a box somewhere too. I assume you attended the '96 worlds - did you ride?

I've no idea how many Ibex bikes were made, but I only ever saw two - a 26" one ridden by Ian Cooper at one of the NEMBA series in 95 and the Brentwood village 20" bike originally owned by Stuart Matthews and ridden by pretty much every up and coming Essex club rider. It's probably still going round the white/blue route even now!

Ah, good memories!

No, didn't go to the worlds sadly, my mate picked them up for me.

The lad in the Ibex leaflet on the left got me my Monty, they were hard to come by back in '96.

It's a classic now...

gallery_13726_7_18488.jpg

Dmr sidekick , Power pros, azonic double wall riser, with some stem...

Out of intrest did you buy that built like that or build it yourself mate..?

I ask cos my mate had one almost exactly the same that I think he traded in at Leisure Lakes.

Radical Highs

Watched that every day for about half a year, gawping at everything Akrigg and Tongue did. Anyone got any way of uploading it?!

Hehe, was that the one where Chris was hitting that massive rock in the woods about 15 times and finally made it at the end?...

Cant go without mention of Dave Marshall's win on the channel 5 TV show Under Pressure lol

That was only 2001 :P.

Radical Highs

Watched that every day for about half a year, gawping at everything Akrigg and Tongue did. Anyone got any way of uploading it?!

I have it on vhs, but no way of getting it too my pc or on dvd.

Those tyres are abit cool lol :P

I got one of them tires on the front, because Ashton had one. :D

• 2 weeks later...
I've still got my spooky. i love it to bits. Its upstairs and in mint condition cos i quit dirt not long after i bought loads of new bits and had it painted.

Can anyone remember chainspotting, tricks and stunts, mud cows?

Got them all, as well as dirt magazine how to dirtjump, dig (bmx video).

Also got a blue Ging chain tensioner too!

first memories of cyclo-trials, riding a 'yorkshire tykes' competition at addingham moorside june 1998, turned up with no bike expecting it to be a motorbike comp, rushing home to collect my GT Tequesta 21" with judy TT's, raceline magura HS33's(£199.99!! :0 ), FSA power Pro's painted iluminous yellow to match my new brakes, D521 rims with XT hubs, IRC El Gato 2.35!!!. had so much fun that day, finished soaking wet through on 69 dabs in novice,

when punch cars were first introduced??? i remember having a number taped onto my handlebars/helmet and having to queue properly for every section and getting score recorded on a clip board then waiting 2 weeks for the results to be posted out and taking them to school and comparing them with everyone.

Ali C riding a blue pashley with those huge disc brake adaptors that came from the regular brake bosses.

football shin pads........ then saving up to buy lizard skins shin guards...........

My (very fond) memories of the old school are:

receiving letters from my dad when he was inside with drawings on how we could chop up my steel frame and make it much better for trials. The resulting sketch looked basically like todays GU and yet we never got round to it. I was about 12 then and it was mental to imagine how defined the sport would become. Back then it was just showing off on a bike!

Danny Holroyd was my hero, any mention of him in any magazines would be read over and over again.

Evolve was the only thing I ever watched on TV, except for tricks and stunts every now and again (That intro will never fade from my memory!)

System of a Down became one of my favourite bands for many many years because of the Trialskings - Toxicity vid. Still a classic and full of lines that people dont bother with these days.

Take me back!