To All Those Who Ride Trials!

Tim Stedman

What about duel trials (as opposed to speed trials) - two people riding on the same course and the faster person would get the advantage as they can pick the easier line - could get a bit dodgy and observing again probably wouldn't be that simple.

Duel trials would lead to a lot of 'trackstand offs' as both riders get to the entrance to a line they both want at about the same time... There'd have to be judges calls on who should give way and stuff - could be a bit of a nightmare...

Alternating races and standard sections could work though - definitely looks class in indoor mototrials - but then trials motorbikes have a selection of gears, while trials bike racing would still be pretty slow unless you just point everyone down a hill, and I'm pretty sure racing bike down hills is covered in other disciplines...

Edited by psycholist

I don't know about anyone else (maybe i'm just getting old) but I used to love going to comps its just I rarely find the time to get out on the bike let alone organise comps. Seems that the average age at comps is probably what 18-19? If that. Kinda college-uni years. For me full time employment has zapped my time to practice - therefore making me more apprehensive about my level of riding/competing.

I remember when I was doing the Southwest series in '04 i was still one of the more 'senior' riders there and I was only 21!

So maybe its an age trend thing? - back when trials was taking off (i'm talking when the Martin's were first in MBUK/chainspotting etc.) Trials was this new exciting thing, as riders of that generation progressed it was natural for them to progress into comps. Maybe trials is just in a natural 'lull' (i think that moutain biking in general is in decline compared to the late 90's early 00's), many of the jump spots near me that used to be rammed in the summer with college/school kids don't seem to be used half as much anymore. Im sure it will pick up again in the next generation of riders though.

Thats my 10p's worth, apologies if it sounds like the ramblings of a bitter old man!

Rob

Edited by rathergoodpie

Trials to me is going to competitions. Its how ive been brought up, doing them since i was 6. You look for information about the comp, enter it, drive 4-5 hours there ride on terrain thats different to what your used to, some days get a trophy, some days not, then drive home.

I fortunate enough to have parents who are into trials, so there for its a family thing,we travel to loads of diffent places together, ive got there help with travel etc

Not everyones parents support their riding habit. In fact I'm sure it would be pretty impossible for some people to say "Dad, can you drive me 8 hours up to Scotland so I can compete in this competition, please".

I started doing stunts on a trek 220 24" when i was 12, i didnt know what i was doing but i thoroughly enjoyed it. Then I bumped into Barry Deeks (old skool) in my local park hopping up some steps and was hooked, in fact i am still totally hooked.

I ride trials for fun its something to channel my strengths and frustrations into and it turns out i have got resonably good at it.

But these days the most fun i can have on my bike is pushing myself physically and mentally in big competitions......practicing between comps is always a great laugh with my mates but at the end of the day i practice to become a better rider and therefore get better results.

I love street, i love natural, i love comps.............. i hate politics within the trials scene hence my absence from the BIU Nationals.

Trials rules and makes lots of people happy!

Tom

xxxx

Not everyones parents support their riding habit. In fact I'm sure it would be pretty impossible for some people to say "Dad, can you drive me 8 hours up to Scotland so I can compete in this competition, please".

Hence the reason i said im very fortunate.

I didnt mean everyone has to ride a comp 4-5 hours away lol (Well i do, yay for living in the middle of nowhere!)

I think if i said that to my dad, he would tell me where to go!

Hence the reason i said im very fortunate.

I didnt mean everyone has to ride a comp 4-5 hours away lol (Well i do, yay for living in the middle of nowhere!)

I think if i said that to my dad, he would tell me where to go!

Yeah, you're one of the lucky ones. I know what you mean, I dunno where the closest national round is to me, I'm pretty sure it's Hook Woods, which is about 2.5 hours.

I think if I asked nicely enough my dad would take me to a few comps, I would like to enter more but I ride with people who dislike natural, and I myself don't drive, so the chances of me riding a comp ever are slim to none.

First of all... what the hell? Are you even reading what i wrote? I don't remember mentioning that it put me off at all, let alone forever. Why should you have to be persistent with them? Effectively your paying to do something you enjoy... why should it be hard?

I also don't know why your trying to reason with my statements. You made a thread asking for what people want. I told you, yet rather than take them on-board your trying to defend the competitions. Is it really so hard to get an extra person to help out who is going to man a bbq with some cheap £2 for 20 burgers from the local supermarket? Especially if your going to the trouble to getting an squad of observers. Sod nutritional needs, i wantz burgerzz!!!1!11one

Ok, Im sorry, I did rush a little when reading your post, and for that im sorry! You are right, that it would be ideal for a BBQ, and maybe that is possible. With a bit of planning on the part of the organisers, and aslong as there are people that come forward willing to do it, then it would be great!

On the subject of where the competitions are held, and the natural/non natural thing... Some of the nationals this year have actually had man made sections to ride on. Even at some really great natural spots. The competitions are where they are bacause the venues have the best range of stuff to ride to test the rider's capabilities. It would be great for some comps to be organised somewhere more accessible, but if you think about it, for a national level competition, which is what I was talking about in the first place, the riders are going to have to travel from all over the place anyway. So more accessible for you is not necessarily more accessible for someone else. It would be ideal to hold comps in the middle of large towns/cities. But I suspect there are many reasons why its not happening as yet, which may or may not be possible to overcome. I wonder If maybe Fred or somebody with similar organisational experience could shed come light on this?

I think the event that Jamie mentioned in swansea was pretty awesome. Maybe if more councils were approached, then some more like that could happen, and potentially lead to some urban trials comps.

The idea about having some different styles of trials competition is a really good one. How about running a speed trial alongside a normal one? Kinda mixing one style up with another to make a it that much more of an event. There is always the possibility of these kinds of competition being run in an urban setting. If lots of people really wanted to get a series going, I guess theres no reason why it couldnt be worked out and organised.

Tim,

Great thought provoking post and fine replies……….

It appears that some have commented without ever having been to a comp and have built up a negative view of what they may find there! For me this post has raised so many issues that I may have to reply in stages. I have had a great deal of experience in laying out comps, from club to World level – you won’t find many people who have been responsible for the sections at both a BIU and a UCI World championship.

I and the team I work with always have the interests of the competitors at heart – we want you to have a good time, I hope most do. New comers are never a focus for ridicule, if you wish to attend one of our competitions for the 1st time let us know, we can put you with fellow riders that can help you out. If they can’t I will – I’ve done a bit of minding.

If you enter and can’t make it on the day, your cheque is not cashed.

With regard to comp location Ref. open land or city based, it comes down to a number of considerations, mainly;

COST – ADMIN – RED TAPE.

You would not believe how much more time consuming and expensive it is to run our comp at Blackpool compared to one held on a green field site. Earlier in 08 Tykes ran an indoor charity event in Skipton, the building rental alone cost £1500, and it’s a lot of money to find.

If anyone out there has access to a novel venue and can arrange for obstacles to be delivered on site but needs an organisation to administer to entries and proved insurance – contact the Biketrial Federation and we will do the rest.

All that said entries are suffering, the YMSA has gone and some organisations comps struggle to attract more than 20 entries. We are constantly looking at ways to make economies, improve communication and at the same time provide better events, it’s not easy. We are all faced with increased travel expenses. To help in the future we plan to build an area into our web site where prospective riders may team up to share costs, this could double as a place where newcomers or those without transport could network with fellow riders.

Our final national event in Shipley has good transport links and offers two days riding. If you have not competed before, make contact and ask for whatever advice you may need. You can be assured that those involved in the organisation will have done their best to provide with an enjoyable weekend.

More points covered soon………………

Fred Savage

road trip? duh? Thats probably what I personally enjoy more than the comp. Fort William, Blackpool and Hook woods are so far where Ive stayed over, and Ive had SUCH an immense laugh/good time with other riders :)

If anyone is still convinced comps dont provide a good time, please come to shipley glen and ride with me and welsh guys + the worcester guys + the others too. Its so fun :)

Just a quick note before I bugger off on holiday and then to OZ.

If you are worried about being the laughing stock then fear not as that is my job, I provide the laughs at no extra cost.

You will not be laughed at unless you choose to be laughed at.

Come and try it, you WILL enjoy it and feel a sense of real achievement.

John

Also, don't worry about the falling off side of things, I did a fine job of falling off enough at Hook Woods to save anyone else having to bother for the rest of the series.

As well known sites go, how about Porthcawl? Plenty of rocks and didn't the Marty/ins organise one there a few years ago or have Bridgend CBC got a bit more picky?

It would also give a Welsh round and its not too far from Bristol/Brum. It could also be another show case like Blackpool, nice and easy for spectators.

I would suggest Swansea/the Gower but its probably a bit far west (although very handy for me).

I was thinking of Ogwen but I'm guessing that getting the National Trust to agree would be interesting.

Jamie

To help in the future we plan to build an area into our web site where prospective riders may team up to share costs, this could double as a place where newcomers or those without transport could network with fellow riders.

Our final national event in Shipley has good transport links and offers two days riding.

As I said above ^^^^

The events are out there, why not help each other to attend?

Fred.

have some in cardiff portcawl area, for me to travel to there is at least 2 hours, and the ones up in england are probs around 8 hours. and being 15 and not being able to drive/aloud :P expecting my dad to drive me a fair few hours is really not going to happen. portcawl cardidd for the win :)