Is The Uk Driving Test Too Hard?

Boswell

its hard to learn to drive with someone sat next to you telling you how to hold the steering wheel. people learn to drive after theyve passed their test.

people should be assesed 5 years after passing their test but not on how they hold steering wheel or if they cross their arms etc etc, but on how safe observant and considerate they are.

Although its annoying, its the safest way to drive. The whole point of the driving test is to see if you are 'safe, observant and considerate'.

If the 5 year re test was introduced then I think I'd be screwed, A modern car I'd be lost with all the controls and handling totally different. but on the safe subject, I think I'm actually safer in my car than a modern, because everything is worse and less responsive which makes you have to think upon whats ahead and what Ive gotta to to be able to control the car before I get to whats ahead. My top speed being about 40ish I'm also worried about faster cars and idiots in faster cars. I dont mind if they over take me just dont kill me in the process, if they wana kill themselves then i say thats your own risk. For example the other day I was doing about 45ish and this idiot from behind was virtually up ass any closer and he would have knocked me. The he over took me like almost pushing me off the road. Its like if you want to pass me then do safely. Or just slow down.

Like it's been said, you don't get taught how to drive, only how to pass. THAT'S what's wrong, as not everyone realises this and goes out thinking they are Lewis Hamilton, and end up being Ayrton Senna.

Thats exactly whats wrong with it that your taught just to pass. Im learning at the moment and managed to get a instructor my mate used. And first thing he said was your my last student before i quit im not arsed about robbing you of money just doing this as your thingies mate. Im not going to teach you how to pass but how to drive. sadly he had to stop because of a job he got and i was gutted as he was a proper mint instructor. He was even going to teach me stuff like useing palm of hand to steer as alot of people do after they passed. My new instructor you can just tell that they hold back on things to get your money and just teach you to get through the test.

I think the biggest problem these days though isnt the test not being hard enough but drivers attitude.

Like it's been said, you don't get taught how to drive, only how to pass. THAT'S what's wrong, as not everyone realises this and goes out thinking they are Lewis Hamilton, and end up being Ayrton Senna.

arguably the best driver the world has seen?

or victim of catastrophic mechanical failure?

on topic, i think the test is too easy. I've passed twice now, and the second time I got no minors at all - that doesn't seem too difficult really. If the pass rate is that low then it's either fixed or there's a lot of people with no hand to eye coordination out there..

What do you think i meant...

I'm not completely sure. If you meant dead then surely a better option would have been to use someone who wasn't a driving god because your point was about people not being as skilled as they think as far as I can see. Don't mean to cause any offence so dont take it that way, I just thought your point made no sense.

ok in plain english, people die because they pass and think they're good. I'm sure most other people who aren't so pedantic knew what point was being made. Hamilton is alive, senna is dead, point made. Why would i make a point that basically translates as "goes out thinking they're lewis hamilton (a great driver) and ends up as ayrton senna (a greater driver)"! It's clearly not what was implied and you know it, yet you want to pull it up as not clear and that you think it doesn't make sense! Are you bored today?!

it would have been dfficult to find a famous dead driver who wasn't a great driver. Why would a shit driver be famous as a driver?!

ok in plain english, people die because they pass and think they're good. I'm sure most other people who aren't so pedantic knew what point was being made. Hamilton is alive, senna is dead, point made. Why would i make a point that basically translates as "goes out thinking they're lewis hamilton (a great driver) and ends up as ayrton senna (a greater driver)"! It's clearly not what was implied and you know it, yet you want to pull it up as not clear and that you think it doesn't make sense! Are you bored today?!

it would have been dfficult to find a famous dead driver who wasn't a great driver. Why would a shit driver be famous as a driver?!

christ, don't get so touchy about it. I just made the point that the way you put it didnt come across as clearly as you thought. I also noted that I didn't want to cause offence. Why did you need to use a famous driver? illustrated:

goes out thinking they are Lewis Hamilton, and end up being like this person

But hey, what do I know?

I wouldn't bother arguing about it because it's pathetic, but the tone in your reply was the tone of someone being a fanny, and I dont think it was deserved.

people knew what i meant, and so did you, yet you still commented saying you didn't understand what i meant!

On a similar note, but in biking, if you're into your racing you may know that Craig Jones had a terrible crash yesterday at Brands Hatch in WSB. Unfortunately this morning he passed away. RIP.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sp...us-head-injury/

Pashley26 "If you want to drive fast; Wait until your old enough to Insure a real car. Not some pikey'd up un-declared saxo"

Do you have a f**king brain? How is it better if someones driving a more powerfull car more stupidly? The concequences are a lot higher stakes when your driving faster... f**king hell i do wonder about some peoples mentality sometimes, like with Bongo's little pun turning into a Senna mechanical error debate... wtf

Then your wrote off your mums car didnt you simps ^_^

I learnt how to look a zillion different ways to check behind me when reversing arround a corner.

Not what to do when you get a front blow out round and round about when your driving like a nobber.... my Dad was sooo much more usefull than any instructor, he taught me apex's and gear changes and taught me smooth driving and awareness... to pass your test all you need is a few monevours and a clean drive for less than half an hour.

Edited by Simps

The test isnt too hard or easy, its just generally irrelevant. Its easy to pass and easy to fail at the same time, a safe driver can fail easily doing something that isnt dangerous but fails them jsut due to nerves. Problem is no discretion is used on part of the examiner, they dont use theyre brain to get a general idea of what the driver is like just tick boxes.

As for the age thing upping the age limit aint gonna help, i know 16 year olds who are mature and would drive sensibly and 21year olds who drive like dick heads and visa versa. Obviously its pretty impossible but you need some sort of dick head test

I rekon instructors should have more say in weather people pass as they spend alot more time with the pupil than an examiner and probably have a better judgment of the type of person they are

It's all a matter of Confidence, Common Sense & Not being a boy racer.

If you want to drive fast; Wait until your old enough to Insure a real car. Not some pikey'd up un-declared saxo.

That's a moronic thing to say. If you want to drive fast, piss off to a track where you can't pose a risk to my family and friends.

f**king hell i do wonder about some peoples mentality sometimes, like with Bongo's little pun turning into a Senna mechanical error debate... wtf

I'm not sure what that means, but it was never a debate. I was saying that people who pass and think they're really good drivers all too often end up dead, because they don't realise they haven't learnt to drive, only how to pass their test...

Listen... :)

The test isn't too hard right now, it's about right. The thing is that what the test doesn't do is test you in loads of situations. It is about to get harder, but I don't know how.

The only reason they're making it harder is people are killing themselves, plain and simple. A minority of people don't know how to control a car these days, and per usual - have now ruined it for the rest of us.

Just my opinion. As I've said before, I'd be more than happy to have to re-test every 7/10 years.

Again - just my opinion, so please don't have a freak out at me. :)

I think the test is too easy. In my mind i should have failed mine for driving over a double mini roundabout without stopping but for some reason i passed. Plus it's pretty easy to drve well for 30mins or however long the test is. Maybe it would be better having 3 30 minute test over a few days? Looking back i was stupid driver when i passed, just thrashed it everywhere and raced mates all the time. I was lucky i never hit anything or anyone. Giving a 17 year old something as dangerous as a car is pretty crazy really.

Pashley26 "If you want to drive fast; Wait until your old enough to Insure a real car. Not some pikey'd up un-declared saxo"

Do you have a f**king brain? How is it better if someones driving a more powerfull car more stupidly? The concequences are a lot higher stakes when your driving faster... f**king hell i do wonder about some peoples mentality sometimes, like with Bongo's little pun turning into a Senna mechanical error debate... wtf

You obviously didn't read, or understand my point.

If you read your quote you will hopefully read; "If you want to drive fast; Wait until your old enough to Insure a real car. Not some pikey'd up un-declared saxo"

Ironically you missed a rather large point in that (i hope?) wich says "Wait until your old enough".

I like driving fast, and luckily i have a few year experience and have done many forms of racing both on tarmac and rally style stages. I competed in Banger racing at a challenge level for a year, And have completed many advanced driving courses, probably 2 a year for the last 3 years.

And i feel that my few years of experience let me make the concious decision of when it's safe/O.K to turn it up a bit, and when it is necessiary to drive in a safe, and controlled manner in accordance to the UK law.

So, due to my experience i drive fast when i feel it's safe. And i feel i can control my car.

You drive to YOUR limits, and YOUR CARS limits. And if you havnt' driven long enough or had experinces to learn the limits, you DO NOT try.

Done.