Does Dot 5 Work Good In Maggies?

J Trials 31

Bled it with what little blood I had. Works amazing! Best it has ever worked. Got my own special grind ( mechanical engraver on every square inch of sidewall) and 44 Tango pads = absolutely sick! But I didn't make it to my demo. Oh well, I guess that's what I get.

Edited by J Trials 31

Nah, don't have any pics, but I might think about taking some updated pics and putting them in the Bike pics section.

How the crap do you have the name John Bonham? Famous Led Zeppelin drummer if you didn't know.

I always knew he was still alive!! :giggle:

Edited by J Trials 31

DOT 3 and 4 are glycogen based. DOT 5 is silicone based. They are completely different. They use DOT 5 in Hope brakes, so why wouldn't it work in Maguras? Seals should be no problem with the silicone base.

Fish can breath underwater so I should be able to.

steel doesn't dissolve in costic soda, so neither will my face, think I'll go apple bobbing with a twist.

Because they're not the same maybe?

Hope breaks use dot 4 or dot 5.1 fluid. They're bled with dot 4 as standard though, and dot 5.1 is Glycogen based just like dot 3 and 4.

Put dot 3/4/5.1 fluid in a break designed for mineral oil, and it'll eat the seals, put mineral oil in a break designed for Dot and the seals will swell.

I wouldn't be able to say if dot 5 would work, I know it works in systems designed for other dot fluids however, so I would take an educated guess that it wouldn't. (This is not to say Dot 5 is compatible with the other Dot fluids, the system would need completely flushing before hand and all the previous fluid replacing with dot 5)

So yeah, Hopes can be used with dot 5, but I dunno about maggies.

This is not to say Dot 5 is compatible with the other Dot fluids, the system would need completely flushing before hand and all the previous fluid replacing with dot 5

IIRC Dot5 is silicone based and much more susceptible to water absorption, it has a much higher boiling point though so is used more on the race track :)

Waters useless itll corrode it use magura oil.

No. No, it doesn't. Even using a strong antifreeze and water solution doesn't 'corrode' 'it', whatever the 'it' is that you're refering to. Piston? Seals? Springs? Either way, it's bollocks and it doesn't.