Stop "it's Da Police"

j-bonham@hotmail.com

Hi, found this very funny today....

So, basic story: Riding down to the village as you would normally do on any bike...... not leaping up an down kurbs! nothing other than the ordinary riding "on the road" not pavement!

From behind me a cop in his little 4*4 shouts "Stop, Get off your bike imediatly"...... my immediat reaction was to say "WHY?" he then arritcly pulls in front of me, gets out and comes up and says "Get off your bike, you don't have a seat!" :blink: " You Don't have proper controll of you vehicle, and your bike doesn't compy with some regulations of some sort...." can't rember exactly what regulation he said. (could have been road traffic act??)

After a couple of mins argueing and confused, he tells me if i don't get off and walk he'll be forced to nick me! :giggle:

Me being me, i get off then quickly get back on and hoss away :shifty:

but if anyone can shed some light on me, i'd be interested if any of the bull he said was true ??

cheers, john

Thats a different one. Obviously a trials rider with 2 powerful brakes but no seat, has far less control than a bmx with a seat and no brakes.

As said though, you just smile, nod away then when they've gone, carry on with your usual business. Its easier than getting into an argument and portraying a bad image, and you will get far more respect in return

Does that mean that if you're cycling a normal bike standing up you're not in control of it or does the saddle have mystical powers...

Sounds like you've fallen victim to the general ignorance of the public - only problem being this was someone in a position of power who didn't know better. Were you swerving all over the road at the time :P...

I'll echo most other people's comments though. Just agree with the cops, make sure they see you're not out for an argument and continue as you were once they're gone - same as most of the criminals do really :D...

oh mystical powerfull seat! where art they now ?

yes office, yes, ok. wont do it agen! is the usual case :giggle:

**Were you swerving all over the road at the time :flowers:... ** no, but my brother was behind me swerving up an down the kerbs <_< (on a bmx with no brakes)

and he didn't say jack to him.....

cheers for quick replys people.

p.s funny though, he drove past me house slowly as i was hoping around, about 2 hours before the incident??? :shifty:

Edited by j-bonham@hotmail.com

oh my god thats a new one,

Most cops i talk to, witch is very few, are nice chatty and generally think trials is cool, one even tried to ride my bike lol.

This is the thing right, They nick people for riding with no seat and not others with guns, knifes, ect (evidence form the bill so is probably true).

Thats a different one. Obviously a trials rider with 2 powerful brakes but no seat, has far less control than a bmx with a seat and no brakes.

ill add to that other dangerous forms of transport.

- Blades, rollerskates - No brakes and no seat.

- scooters no brakes and no seat.

- Skateboards, longboards no brake and no seat.

- old granny’s on there buggys god knows how they get to go on the pavement.

- all bikes when standing up, must be dangerous.

- they rolly shoes, no seat nor brakes.

- brakeless bikes

- a bike with a puncture.

- a bike with v brakes lol.

- a terrorist on a bike.

- and old person on a bike

- a stupid person on a bike

- snake boards

- mums with 4x4s

- old people with cars.

And its not like your going to crash onto people, your going to crash into the car bullying people in safe metal cages, with ego problems.

You’ve been had by a bobby that’s had a bad day, lol.

But would he really arrest you it would look quite silly in the paper, "Bobby busts boy with no seat on bike, to get he’s arrest figurs up".

Not to mention all there so called paper work, lol

These the law, and these the spirit of the law, why cant people let silly things go and find some druggy’s to bust, its all a bit petty to me, (Y)

lol, no control, thats hilarious, should have jumped on the car, then claimed it was a coincidence as you were so out of control

nice one kennard, lol

- Blades, rollerskates - No brakes and no seat.

- scooters no brakes and no seat.

- Skateboards, longboards no brake and no seat.

- they rolly shoes, no seat nor brakes.

What a crap argument. The average blades/scooter/ sketeboard/ "rolly shoes" don't have brakes or a seat, where as the average bike does thats why his bike looked out of place and is possible braking the law. If you made blades/scooter/ sketeboard/ "rolly shoes" have breaks and seats it would just be ridiculous and you very rarely see them one the road.

- a bike with v brakes lol.
V-Brakes are good :S

Some cops really are cock slaps aren't they. Reminds me of a while ago when a Police woman told me she didn't give a shit my car had been vandalised (windscreen smashed by a thrown beer bottle) because it was parked badly. Makes loads of sense :S Reeallly wish I'd got her badge number, I would have put in one hell of a complaint about her.

yer aparently any bike without a seat is illegal and should only be used for its purpose

Its purpose being riding stood up.

Its like the fact its illegal to drive barefoot, erm... Why?

But as people said, just be polite and do what they say, the majority of them are nice people and are pretty reasonable, you just get the odd asswhole who blatantly just gets a buzz out of the power.

SOME of them really are pigs...... Alway's trying to have an arguement with some innocent soul......

Some police are decent guys though.

That really is low, stopping you for not have a seat :blink: pffff

Agreed. The best thing to do is pasify them and then ride when you are out of harms way.

How old are you?

If your not classed as or look like an adult, I can tell you that is partly the reason why they pulled you, some PCSO's round my way are just pedantic and only go for kids as it is an easy target.

Almost related to the subject, few of my mates who can barely ride trials got done for riding on the path, and then this happens.

Youtube Video ->
">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> Edited by Albino Slig

That is quite a ridiculous situation. People should learn to use common sense a bit more rather than stick to the rulebook. Over here we get none of this, in fact the police find trials very interesting and even encourage us to show them some moves. They only react when they can see that other people are not happy with us riding. Even then it's usually the same old story - move along, we have nothing against you riding but somebody made a complaint.

What a crap argument. The average blades/scooter/ sketeboard/ "rolly shoes" don't have brakes or a seat, where as the average bike does thats why his bike looked out of place and is possible braking the law. If you made blades/scooter/ sketeboard/ "rolly shoes" have breaks and seats it would just be ridiculous and you very rarely see them one the road.

was a joke, lol.

It's happened to me before, first time I was riding down the proper side of the road, in the cycle lane and I got stopped and made to walk for

1. having no seat.

and

2. my tyres were 'flat' and therefore dangerous.

Apparently trials bikes aren't 'road legal' because they don't have a seat, reflectors or a bell.

Second time was at night. I got my name taken for riding through town on the pavement. They had a choice between telling me off or telling the drunk guy that was having a wee up the front doors of Woolworths about 10 foot away and they chose me :S

It's happened to me before, first time I was riding down the proper side of the road, in the cycle lane and I got stopped and made to walk for

1. having no seat.

and

2. my tyres were 'flat' and therefore dangerous.

Apparently trials bikes aren't 'road legal' because they don't have a seat, reflectors or a bell.

Second time was at night. I got my name taken for riding through town on the pavement. They had a choice between telling me off or telling the drunk guy that was having a wee up the front doors of Woolworths about 10 foot away and they chose me :S

Thats because they figured you would be a safer target and less likely to kick off and get aggressive compared to the drunk person

Its like the fact its illegal to drive barefoot, erm... Why?

really ? I do that all the time - I actually feel more in control. ...

on the subject of the police - I don't really have a problem with them doing their jobs properly - end o day its illegal to go bashing about the streets on a trials bike. But what I do have a problem with is the fact there is no standard - some will stand and watch ask how our day has been and if we have had any trouble - and others ask for names and addresses. usually the ones asking for the names and numbers are yes doing their job correctly in theory - but lack any form of common sense and are riding the wave of power trip glory.

Best tactic when dealing with the police is not being a dick. Don't argue, don't try and be clever - "yes officer" and "sorry officer" are pretty much the only things to say.

A trials bike is technically safer than a road bike -

More tyre contact area with the ground - less likely to slip

Low gear ratio - maximum speed of maybe 15mph

Two powerful brakes - almost instant stopping power

as opposed to -

Skinny, slick tyres - offer no grip on the wet, and have less contact area than even a trials tyre with all its bumps

High gear ratio - potentially take you up to 40mph and beyond

Two poor brakes - when I rode my road bike, when I had it, its brakes were utter wank.