Where Do I Stand With A Sale

bollo you ball-bag

basically i reeived this email earlier on today

The forks on the zoo we swapped have just snapped, and it looks as if they were held on with silicon.

they snapped on the bottom of the steerer tube(And looked as if it had cracked before) so get back to me when you get this .

Josh

i sent the bike last weekend and he received it on the tuesday just gone. i'd rode the bike 2 or 3 times since receiving it myself. this is due to serious injury.

does anyone have any idea where i stand?

cheers for te advice in advance.

loz.

Aluminum forks with aluminum steerers do have a silicon looking seal, I'm not sure what it is, some kind of glue I'd imagine. basically its hard luck on his part, try getting him to send back to the distributor to see if it is a manufacturing fault?

Also ....

There's no way in hell a set of snapped forks would hold together with any manner of silicon!

Edited by Swindon rider

A lot of trials forks use some kind of resin for the bonding, and this is where they tend to break. The break looks very thin, and the surrounding plastic could look (to an idiot) like it's been glued. To be honest, if this guy thinks that the forks have been snapped before and then glued up, he's either a blagger or a complete spastic. I'd say tell him to stop being so bloody stupid.

Technically, it's tough titties on his part. Like said above most forks are glued together like the wings on a plane.

What I'd personally do is offer some kind of money back, say about half. It was a sawp so there was no money, but send him say £20.

Sounds fair to me.

He should have checked it for cracks as soon as he received it. If he's had it for a couple of weeks and the forks have snapped today, he doesn't really have a leg to stand on. Mind you, if you had an inkling that the forks were cracked, I'd say you should probably throw some money his way. That's probably a choice for your conscience ;)

If you have the money send him a score, half of the price of a 2nd hand set of replacments if you want to be a good seller and respected, (i know i would) but if your hard nosed, pissed off about how he sent the bike etc. then dont bother. He was buying a 2nd hand bike so was technically sold a seen, posted whatever if he broke it riding its his fault.

But as a guesture of goodwill offer him 20 quid so hes halfway towards some new forks

Will he want you to send him new brake pads when they wear out?

The fact is he's rode this bike for a couple of weeks and he could have been doing anything. Its not your fault. I'd just say to him unlucky about the forks mate but shit happens.

As long as he has had the bike a week or two it's just tough luck to be honest. He knew he was buying second hand parts, and he knew that they have been previously used. You should not be held accountable for forks snapping, he knew the risks and was aware that parts will be nearer the end of their life span than new ones.

If you sold someone a car and siad there was petrol in the tank, would you give the buyer money because he had to fill up on the way home?

Haven't been in Chit-Chat for a while but every time i do it's either, "my parts haven't come" or "anyone have Joe Blogg's number?"

Bloody kids!

I say give him nothing. If you feel you've received the bike in worse condition than described (even due to transport) then your even.