French Cars

tipsy Jock

Ah i see, this doesn't relate to the idleing etc but a few times (since i put the new engine in, about 10,000 miles ago), the "SERVICE" light and air bag light have came on, then when i've turned the ignition off and back on, they've went off..... is this anything to worry about, and does anyone know what could be causing it?

Cheers for the help :)

What makes people get a 106 Rallye over a GTI?

I realize the issue with the stereotypical views on 106 GTIs being a little chavtastic, and its bloody hard to find a half decent used one (that hasn't been kitted 'n' shitted and/or done about 125k), but the quoted 0-60 time on a rallye being just under three and a half seconds slower that that of a GTI, and the quoted BHP for a rallye is 90 as compared with the GTI's 120... I realize, standard, its 55kgs lighter, but surely the extra umph makes up for the slight weight gain? Not to mention an average rallye costing more than an average GTI...

I also realize, that hands down the Rallye's are cooler just because they aren't chav central but I'm just curious as to what makes you Rallye owners tick?

Ah i see, this doesn't relate to the idleing etc but a few times (since i put the new engine in, about 10,000 miles ago), the "SERVICE" light and air bag light have came on, then when i've turned the ignition off and back on, they've went off..... is this anything to worry about, and does anyone know what could be causing it?

Cheers for the help :)

I would worry about it, it could be allot of things, air bags, ABS, anything ! If you take it into a dealer/mate with a tech 2 and get them to check the ECU for fault codes they'll tell you exactly whats up (Y)

My money's on the "exclusivity" of them. They look pimp in white too :P

French hot hatches have a certain feel about them, and with all the extra toys and shit in the GTI they just feel heavier and dull.

dunno where you got 90brake from. S1 has 100bhp, S2 has 103 and a good bit more torque s2 does 60 in 8.5sec while gti is 8.4. So difference aint too much. I think the popularity of the rallye is just its general coolness and its a bit different

so would i!

I wouldn't...

dunno where you got 90brake from. S1 has 100bhp, S2 has 103 and a good bit more torque s2 does 60 in 8.5sec while gti is 8.4. So difference aint too much. I think the popularity of the rallye is just its general coolness and its a bit different

Parkers matey... Don't think its going to be that far off. Where did you get the 8.5 secs figure from? I can't believe thats right.

Edit: I take that back...

A high power to weight ratio of 119bhp/tonne helps give a top speed of 121mph, 8.5 sec 0-60mph, and fantastic mid range figures.
Edited by Quackers

I realize the issue with the stereotypical views on 106 GTIs being a little chavtastic, and its bloody hard to find a half decent used one (that hasn't been kitted 'n' shitted and/or done about 125k), but the quoted 0-60 time on a rallye being just under three and a half seconds slower that that of a GTI, and the quoted BHP for a rallye is 90 as compared with the GTI's 120... I realize, standard, its 55kgs lighter, but surely the extra umph makes up for the slight weight gain? Not to mention an average rallye costing more than an average GTI...

I also realize, that hands down the Rallye's are cooler just because they aren't chav central but I'm just curious as to what makes you Rallye owners tick?

To me the Rallye's are special, very few imported and very distinctive compared to the Gti's. They also attract enthusiast owners and put off chavs because on paper they don't compare to the gtis. In reality though, there's not much in it!

Oh and nice work Mr Scott! What's next on the to do list? :P

Edited by tipsy Jock

Is that your project 309 Will? Whats the engine, Mi16?

I saw a Dimma 205 today, sounded amazing. Any idea what engine they had or what mods they had done? I don't know anything about them. :$

yeah thats the 309 which bit the dust.

i think the original dimmas have 1.9 8v engines, but with a different exhaust as standard. so probarbly around the 135 bhp mark? although that dimma could have had one of many engines in there!

yeah thats the 309 which bit the dust.

i think the original dimmas have 1.9 8v engines, but with a different exhaust as standard. so probarbly around the 135 bhp mark? although that dimma could have had one of many engines in there!

They came as standard with larger Image split rims which upped the TS a fair bit too....