Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

Brand new laptop, will actually do it if left lying on the bed for an few minutes... SOMETIMES, sometimes it wont...

Laptop touchpad, 40% sensitivity.

No shortcuts set to any applications yet..

Malware bytes found nothing, same with mcafee

I dont think its a problem as such, because its obviously ment to do it.. I just dont like it :P

Could just be the laptop's got a fault? Mine's got a fairly sketchy graphics card (Same model as you), and my friend's had some fault with the network card. Good times. When I use the touchpad I also unintentionally zoom in to webpages, and I have no idea how...

EDIT: Just worked it out. Didn't realise the very left hand edge of the touchpad controls it. Unmarked and unmentioned. How convenient...

If you find the way, let me know how! I'd like to get that zoom in/out thing to f**k right off.

D'you find your's also gets super hot under where you right hand/wrist sits below the keyboard? Could probably fry up a pretty mean full english on mine most of the time. Fortunately, I've got a bitchin' sticker covering it up so it's not too bad any more...

Trying to get used to vista, how the hell do i see my other computers on the network? :S

JT, change the workgroup name to match all the other computers you idiot!

How do i find out the spec of my computer? like on the back of game box's it has minimum requirements etc, how do I find out if mine are up to them?

Cheers

Control Panel>System and there will appear all sorts of info about your machine (i.e. OS, Ram, CPU speed).

Control Panel>System and there will appear all sorts of info about your machine (i.e. OS, Ram, CPU speed).

Alternatively, you can press the windows key and the pause/break key or right click on My Computer>Properties.

Ok, I'm having strange interweb related issues and am wondering if anyone has any ideas... Basically my computer regularly stops being able to see the vast majority of the internet. Nothing happens or pops up but I just find that I can no longer get onto any sites. What's very weird is that things like MSN still work and I can still access my Uni Outlook Web Access email account but nothing else. The only way I've found to fix it is to restart which is a bit annoying. I'm running Vista on a newish Vaio laptop and using IE8. I've tried downloading Firefox before but it does the same.

Happens when both plugged in to my uni connection and wireless at home so it's not a connection problem, seems to be an odd software/computer issue. Any thoughts?

First of all I'd try disabling the Windows firewall - its useless and can cause a lot of problems, especially if you have a third party antivirus with a firewall built in.

Secondly, if that doesn't work try clearing your cookies, temporary internet files and browsing history.

If that doesn't work, post back in here :)

Anzo to the rescue! :P

;) I'm on it!

First of all I'd try disabling the Windows firewall - its useless and can cause a lot of problems, especially if you have a third party antivirus with a firewall built in.

Secondly, if that doesn't work try clearing your cookies, temporary internet files and browsing history.

Check; Windows firewalls been off for ages as I use AVG and ZoneAlarm.

Regularly run CCleaner to get rid of all that rubbish but my problem still happens. :(

Regularly run CCleaner to get rid of all that rubbish but my problem still happens. :(

Tried disabling ZoneAlarm? Sounds to me like a security issue rather than anything else :S

Have you got a network? Mines still being a pain in the arse, it often only loads youtube videos part way and other streaming/flash videos not at all.

Delete temporary internet files, I had this problem in the past and that solved it.

Do I have a network?

Nah I was asking Dave, I'm pretty sure you'll have a network. :P

My firefox is set to delete all tempory internet files when I close it anyway. :(

I reckon I've got something set up wrong on my Sonicwall, like I've got a DNS thingy entered wrong or something.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't really technical support, but PC related. A girl I work with is after a laptop that looks nice :S. She wants something in pink or red, but I can't find something that's a reasonable spec for the price where the colour is customisable other than the Vaio VGN-CS21S.

This isn't really technical support, but PC related. A girl I work with is after a laptop that looks nice :S. She wants something in pink or red, but I can't find something that's a reasonable spec for the price where the colour is customisable other than the Vaio VGN-CS21S.

Masking tape. Newspaper. Spray can.

Sorted.

Try Dell *shudders* Link Plenty of colors there

I haven't used Zonealarm for a while so I can't remember exactly where it is. But, in the settings somewhere there's a vertical bar you can slide up and down to set the option to high, medium or low. I can't remember exactly what the option was called but if you have one or two set to high/highest, try sliding them down to medium. Sorry I can't be anymore precise!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings people.

I have an Acer laptop (Aspire 5920G not that it matters) which I dropped a while ago. The impact f**ked the hdd but I'm not sure whether there's anything else wrong with it. I've popped the hdd out as I'm planning on replacing it, but when I start the thing up, it gets to the 'operating system not found' screen and it just makes loads of mad f**king bleeps. It's as if there's a key stuck down or something. I've gone into the set up screen and messed about with the boot order and things like that and it doesn't do it at that particular stage. My question really is just whether this noise could be indicative of something else major being wrong. Oh yeah, sometimes the 'operating system not found' starts repeating down the page too.

Thanks for reading my terribly worded post.