Youtube Copyright

manuel

Basically Ive noticed and talked to a lot of people that have had the soundtracks on their youtube videos muted for copyright infringement - fairly I might add ... (just today Dreams of glass got nailed down by WarnerMusicGroup for the blondie track after 19000 hits (seems an odd thing to complain about - an old track !!))

I was wondering if anyone knew how the system worked - as it appears to be automated ?!?! (seems crazy)

whether someone at WMGs etc job is to trawl youtube looking for videos with their music in ?

who knows ?

This is how it works, or did work when I was working for a major.

1. Video gets uploaded, assuming it contains no adult/illegal material it's allowed to be shown.

2. You begin to get hits.

3. People from selected major search through youtube looking for copyright infringement material.

4. If found, automatic email is sent to youtube containing what actions are to be taken.

Usually with something that has many hits and is popular, you would see something by the info saying "Contains material from selected major"

If it's small time, the audio is muted. I wouldn't have though they would have muted something with 19,000 hits! :unsure:

The main thing is that the companies have people scouring the internet looking for things they can take more income for. It is almost impossible to get permission from them, so no matter what you're likely to get a tug.

Hope that was of some help :)

Edited by Hendrix

If it's small time, the audio is muted. I wouldn't have though they would have muted something with 19,000 hits! :unsure:

It does have brands plastered all over the video though...

EDIT: It does seem funny to me though,

Surely the record companies must realise that a massive amount of marketing is just exposure? If they stop everyone using their songs on videos that have no commercial interest (your video is an exception I guess Rowan, due to all the advertising) then people will hear those songs less and therefore will be less aware and buy them less?

Edited by Shaun H

I always assumed that it wouldn't have human input till the end... Like a bot trawls through the videos running them through a system similar to that phone service where you phone it, play a song down the phone and it texts the song name back to you. Then all the ones it recognises get put through a list of songs the record companies want banned and actioned accordingly? If not, isn't that how it should be done?

This is how it works, or did work when I was working for a major.

1. Video gets uploaded, assuming it contains no adult/illegal material it's allowed to be shown.

2. You begin to get hits.

3. People from selected major search through youtube looking for copyright infringement material.

4. If found, automatic email is sent to youtube containing what actions are to be taken.

Usually with something that has many hits and is popular, you would see something by the info saying "Contains material from selected major"

The main thing is that the companies have people scouring the internet looking for things they can take more income for. It is almost impossible to get permission from them, so no matter what you're likely to get a tug.

Hope that was of some help :)

Negative.

It's automated. A video is uploaded, audio scanned and if it matches any songs that are on the list provided by record labels then it gets escalated. Not sure if the software itself decides to mute/remove the video, but i'm assuming it's just flagged then a team of people go through and check to see the severity of the case.

The software was under development for ages and was delayed for a considerable amount of time, much to the displeasure of labels.

Negative.

It's automated. A video is uploaded, audio scanned and if it matches any songs that are on the list provided by record labels then it gets escalated. Not sure if the software itself decides to mute/remove the video, but i'm assuming it's just flagged then a team of people go through and check to see the severity of the case.

The software was under development for ages and was delayed for a considerable amount of time, much to the displeasure of labels.

ifb its part of the uploader then how come mines beeing muted after 2 years ? surely the amount of videos posted in the last 2 years means a rescan of old videos would be virtually impossible ?

quite an impressive system.

Real men use vimeo

haha true - but - a lot of people can only watch youtube ... I hate youtube (actually the HD is better than vimeo but..) I only put things on there to make them accessable to all.

Negative.

Isn't it possible to just leave a little blank in the middle then? or another sound.

Eg our brakes. :P

ifb its part of the uploader then how come mines beeing muted after 2 years ? surely the amount of videos posted in the last 2 years means a rescan of old videos would be virtually impossible ?

quite an impressive system.

The software has actually, as far as my research tells me been around for a long time now so maybe it's just taken this long to get to your video. Or they've just made a change and it works a lot better and has picked up your video from that far ago when before it would of skipped it before.

There is of course people randomly searching too so might of been one of them.

As for getting around it, it only needs 10-20 seconds to match the song.

You can dispute the claim. I did it for a video recentley that they had muted, a month later I got the audio back. Considering I paid for the album the track was on and the fact that I obviously wasn't making money from it I was quite pissed off that they were able to remove the audio with a fingers click but took a whole month to put it back again.

Sorry about the horrible post, that last sentence dragged on a bit :P

I reckon a couple of us should email youtube and tell them to have some f**king respect, all the video's of Beau i've tryed to watch have been removed completely! Only one that I can see is his bail!

And they'll tell you to f**k off and take it up with the law I imagine...

Youtube may be automated as to checking if the video can be uploaded, but it can't check if a song in it is copyrighted exactly because so many songs share many of the same wave-types throughout. The only thing it could do is put it on a list to be checked by human ear, and then report from then.

Unless you know people who personally work for youtube and selected majors.. in which case you would then be right (Simon)

Edited by Hendrix

Just to try it out I've uploaded a whole bunch of my videos to youtube to see what would happen.

Street Training 1,2 and 3 uploaded fine. ST4 was immediately censored for audio reasons citing copyright ownership by WMG. The audio is by Spineshank, a relatively unknown group signed under Road Runner Records (of which WMG is parent). However the Prodigy's "You'll be under my wheels" I used in the first vid, also owned by WMG, got through fine :S

'Tis a funny old place

Rich

Just to try it out I've uploaded a whole bunch of my videos to youtube to see what would happen.

Street Training 1,2 and 3 uploaded fine. ST4 was immediately censored for audio reasons citing copyright ownership by WMG. The audio is by Spineshank, a relatively unknown group signed under Road Runner Records (of which WMG is parent). However the Prodigy's "You'll be under my wheels" I used in the first vid, also owned by WMG, got through fine :S

'Tis a funny old place

Rich

This is one of those situations where any exposure will help raise awareness of the artist and therefore sales! It's crazy...

I wonder if by giving the song the appropriate credits in the video, they'll let you get away with it?

It's a bit confusing, you know: You watch a trials video, and you decide you like the track in the background (with screeching brakes over it), so you go out and buy it... You'd never listen to the video instead of get the song...

:ermm:

I think WMG are aiming for fairly blanket ban of use ? anyways I just contacted a label about using music in my next vid (from a fairly well known band) and they said yes to showing it everywhere. I would only need to contact them if it was to go on sale ...

EDIT - I agree with above... but i would guess even with a credit they would kill it.

Edited by manuel