Road Cycling

davey1991

dreading work tomorrow as basically, we had to move days off around, cos the deputy hasnt been in the last 2 days, offf ill, so weve booked in 2 peoples worth of servicing which is shit.

lol your store is failing. MEGA. And that a completely unbiased statement 'cuz them woollies managers said exactly the same. Out of interest, have you sold one of the £3.3k Boardmans?

lol your store is failing. MEGA. And that a completely unbiased statement 'cuz them woollies managers said exactly the same. Out of interest, have you sold one of the £3.3k Boardmans?

Yeah, failing. We did twice our forecast last week. and nearly twice for the last few months really...

We've sold 2/3 i think.

Yeah, failing. We did twice our forecast last week. and nearly twice for the last few months really...

That would be good, except targets mean shit when the person setting them used to sell tins of beans. Fact it, st pauls evans> st pauls bikehut. Failing.

Hey guys, me and a freind are going to be doing a sponsered ride to south wales from the south coast (portsmouth area). I am trying to plan a particularly good route that will make the trip more interesting? We are going to Abergavenny as i have family there and will be leaving ourselves a week to complete as a round trip, two day there, two days rest/fun/pubs :P, two days back, one day for any unforseen circumstances. Basically is there any info you coudl add to help :)

Cheers guys.

# If you dont have a route planned out yet, either get to work with a shit load of maps from each region and plan your route to a tee. Dont want to find yourself plodding along a dual carage way for 17miles in the dark. Maybe invest in a Garmin Edge 605, excellent piece of kit.

# Make sure your bikes are apt enough/buy bike that are apt enough. You'll be needing panniers at the very least.

# Stick to simple components, forget drum brakes and internal gear hubs, you want something that you can bodge untill you can get to the nearest bikeshop.

# Dont think that going lightweight is the issue. I had a heated debate with a customer who wanted to buy a full carbon roadbike to ride over the pirinees? (sp), all well and good if you have a support car, but he was wanting to toe a trailer... Its not worth compromising a slight bit of weight for what could cause you to have to end the trip early.

# Start to build up a good relationship with your LBS, you'll find they'll be more than helpful and my even offer you discount on parts/kit needed.

# Clothing is a very important aspect to look into, i'd suggest looking at some reviews of kit and deciding which is going to be best for you, start reading cycling weekly, always some good articles in there.

# Brush up on your mechanical skills with a bike. The Haynes manual is a life saver so it may be worth investing in a copy of that.

I'll try and think of some more things but give me a shout if you've got any more questions.

How do you know what evans do a week?

Why does that matter? That shop is pristine, bikes are clearly laid out and there is a sense of organization in the shop. No offense, and i know alot of your problems are down to management, but your shops a shithole.

*Cheers for that Rob, i am aware of componenets and details like that and i am a fully trained bike mechanic so no problems there :) Should of said sorry.

So far it seems the route is looking like a 2 day stint there stopping overnight at a travel inn, then going across to south wales. Does anyone know if you can cross the severn bridge by bike????

Cheers Tom

*Cheers for that Rob, i am aware of componenets and details like that and i am a fully trained bike mechanic so no problems there :) Should of said sorry.

So far it seems the route is looking like a 2 day stint there stopping overnight at a travel inn, then going across to south wales. Does anyone know if you can cross the severn bridge by bike????

Cheers Tom

Ah, well the best of luck then! What bikes/components you riding on? As far as I'm aware the Severn bridge is a motorway, so no. Try ferry's as an alternative. Keep us posted i'd like to know how it all goes.

Well i will be personally riding a Road Boardman bike with a few adapted parts in order to cover my bases on the hill climbs :) My freind will be using his mums hybrid i beleive but we have done alot of trips before so this is a simple trip for us :) I will do, when i get the plan sorted i'll post it up :) We will be doing it to raise money for cnacer so soem sponsorship would be greta once we have sorted all the plans out :)

Tom

P.s Yeah you can ride over the old bridge adding about 20-30k to the ride :( haha

Edited by The Stig