Tartybikes Project Bike

AdamR28

That's quite an impressive feat. Still can't quite understand why it's so light. It's almost 1kg less than my bike and I can't imagine where that missing kilogram is.

You've probably got more interesting things to do but I'd love to see a spreadsheet with the weight of the wheels (inc & exc. tyres and tubes), stem+bar, frame+fork+drive. That would give an idea about where the most weight has been saved.

By the way, those TR brake mounts are marvellous. Not only stupidly light but they make the brake work so much better. Shame that they only work with rims that have parallel sidewalls.

edit: you might get an order from me for those bars and bb soon... : damn this thread and the hole it might to create in my pocket!

Edited by Inur

I just wonder how strong is this frame...I mean it's pretty light but we've seen riders such as ross gardner and adam bessel riding it...they goes quite big and the frame keeps strong (I think)

just curious how strong is it...strong as a french frame or strong as a deng frame

the full bike is really cool...I m sure it's a strange feeling to riding it

Whats the downside to the Echo SL forks? Are they as flexy as the 07 Controls? (Maybe I mean Urbans.... The ones I've got with the curved blade).

I don't find mine too bad, althought I would prefer something stiff really, but my bike already feels heavy towards the front to me. :(

I just wonder how strong is this frame...I mean it's pretty light but we've seen riders such as ross gardner and adam bessel riding it...they goes quite big and the frame keeps strong (I think)

just curious how strong is it...strong as a french frame or strong as a deng frame

the full bike is really cool...I m sure it's a strange feeling to riding it

Mine has cracked on the weld by the right hand drop out - pritty deep as well. It put up with 4 months of riding :giggle:

The 26" disc forks are really flexy, on a maggie they're fine. The 20" forks are surprisingly stiff even with a disc brake.

cheers for that

i should be ordering sum 20" versions on friday (Y)

but how are they soooo light :S

surely theyve saved weight sum ware else apart from the drilled bits?

cheers for that

i should be ordering sum 20" versions on friday (Y)

but how are they soooo light :S

surely theyve saved weight sum ware else apart from the drilled bits?

the tubing is thinner, the 4bolt mounts have a lower profile so closer the fork...

yea all the drillings etc... thats all theyve done and to be honest that havnt lost a huuuge amount of weight off the controls...

iv got some sl on the way for the london ride... ill be suprised if they last the weekend from what iv heard

the tubing is thinner, the 4bolt mounts have a lower profile so closer the fork...

yea all the drillings etc... thats all theyve done and to be honest that havnt lost a huuuge amount of weight off the controls...

iv got some sl on the way for the london ride... ill be suprised if they last the weekend from what iv heard

so they arnt a good choice then?

atleast if they do snap ill have my old forks to fit :lol:

That's quite an impressive feat. Still can't quite understand why it's so light. It's almost 1kg less than my bike and I can't imagine where that missing kilogram is.

You've probably got more interesting things to do but I'd love to see a spreadsheet with the weight of the wheels (inc & exc. tyres and tubes), stem+bar, frame+fork+drive. That would give an idea about where the most weight has been saved.

I was thinking the same thing :)

That rear tyre is 300g lighter than a rubber queen and the bars are 100g lighter than trialtechs, thats best part of half a kilo already, add to that the 95g front tube and skinny rear tube and it all quickly mounts up.

I think we can both relax safe in the knowledge that our lightweight titanium bikes (ok mines 1.1kg heaver than this! :( ) arent going to snap in 4 months riding :D

Still an awesome weight - put those components on my triton frame and you have the same geometry, same weight (maybe 50g heavier because you need to run a tensioner) but a nice strong frame that wont fail so quick :)

I was thinking the same thing :)

That rear tyre is 300g lighter than a rubber queen and the bars are 100g lighter than trialtechs, thats best part of half a kilo already, add to that the 95g front tube and skinny rear tube and it all quickly mounts up.

I think we can both relax safe in the knowledge that our lightweight titanium bikes (ok mines 1.1kg heaver than this! :( ) arent going to snap in 4 months riding :D

Still an awesome weight - put those components on my triton frame and you have the same geometry, same weight (maybe 50g heavier because you need to run a tensioner) but a nice strong frame that wont fail so quick :)

Well after posting that I pulled my bike apart and weighed every smallest little bit. The frame is 1,85kg <_<

Anyway, with a few minor changes I can get it down to 8,2kg which unfortunately means changing the frame to a Control. But they have a great geometry so it should be a nice thing to ride.

Didn't notice the light rear tyre in that Tarty bike, it kinda explains everything and disqualifies the result. Such a tyre can't be part of a "no compromise" bike unless Harry Potter cast a protective spell on it.

But yeah, our frames will last so long that they'll be ridden by our grandsons!

Triton is pretty much dead now isn't it? Haven't heard from Dimitri for a good year or so.

Well after posting that I pulled my bike apart and weighed every smallest little bit. The frame is 1,85kg <_<

Anyway, with a few minor changes I can get it down to 8,2kg which unfortunately means changing the frame to a Control. But they have a great geometry so it should be a nice thing to ride.

Didn't notice the light rear tyre in that Tarty bike, it kinda explains everything and disqualifies the result. Such a tyre can't be part of a "no compromise" bike unless Harry Potter cast a protective spell on it.

But yeah, our frames will last so long that they'll be ridden by our grandsons!

Triton is pretty much dead now isn't it? Haven't heard from Dimitri for a good year or so.

I believe that triton is no more, shame really :(

My frame is 1585g, so lighter than the control to start with, I think it is a fair bit flexier than yours though, I need to run a rear 2bolt booster really. Ive topped 9kg so Im relatively happy, might put the BT forks back on to drop it down to 8.8 though :D

Im not sure if you could get away with a supersonic mountain king without a heavy tube, I think its got lighter sidewalls than a single ply maxxis :o

I've been running a Rubber Queen with a Maxxis Welterweight tube for about 4/5 months now, the tubes f**ked, I must have pinched it about 6/7 times, it's covered in patches now. :lol:

So I doubt it, I don't like the look of the tread pattern on the mountain kings either, I reckon the rubber queen would hook up on edges much better.

The Rubber Queens really are amazing. Mine is just about the grippiest tyre I've ever used, and looks like it's hardly worn at all, and I got it second hand. It's hardly even torn at the edges of the knobbles in the middle!