Would You Like A New Orange Zero?

Ali C

any Orange with a folded downtube was made in the UK, they get some of the cheaper xc frames made in the east though.

I kinda agree about the 04 pure idea, that was one of the best frames I have had!

..ahh, that will be why they were expensive then. :)

Not a fan of the idea honestly.

I want a Fiat punto, with ferrari racing spec, fezza 6l engine, everything zipped up, and then i want it to look like a ferrari, and i want it to cost the same, or maybe more...

If you want the orange zero with the geo of a zoo pitbull short, buy a zoo pitbull short.

It shouldn't have "up to date geo" the geo is what makes it a zero, sort the tyre clearance out & it's fine.

People who want a long low silver thing already have hundreds of frames to choose from, people like me who want a short proper street bike have about none to choose from, pretty much forced to find old zebdis or get a custom frame built.

So let's keep the wheelbase at 1025 :)

Plus how stupid would that downtube look with 60+mm inches added to it.

I'd buy it if it rode the same, but stretching it to 1080 is just stupid, i'd rather it stay a legend than get made into some tgs thing (N)

Leon

Edited by LEON

Hehe, im sure there is plenty of people that do want them, just seems like its going to be alot of money for a frame that at the end of the day has outdated geometry.

it seems the cool street guys are going 24 inch, and with it being a UK made frame the cost will be high, would be nice to see a big name like orange back in the sport though, could bring more interest to urban riding

Good luck man :)

I think they should make it long and low and UCI style then sponsor a top UK comp rider (savage, andrei, Ali) and raise the profile of the frame so its actually a success for orange, rather than making it a short street bike that 10 people willl buy. It has to have that downtube though

I've never, ever seen any trials bike made to the same level as an Orange Zero. The downtubes were stunning, but I don't think they ever really had someone who engaged with them to sort of geometry, engineering, and positioning of the bike in the range. It's almost like they had something great, and weren't quite sure what to do with it (or handle consumers who emailed them photos of dropping off a phone box, then complained to their parents their expensive bike had broken riding off a kerb, who then rang Orange to complain...)

And they were made in the UK. I had a new chainstay fitted to mine after some dumb chain suck clearage went horribly wrong...

Ali, you're the man for the job!

orange-zero.jpg

explain the fuss about the downtube? a decent disc mount. or floating dropout set up would be awesome!

The downtube on a bike is one of the most important parts when it comes to stiffness. Orange use folded sheets of alloy to make a VERY stiff, strong and light downtube. It makes the whole bike mega stiff and is hard to dent as well.

Orange have advanced their downtube design now too (lighter and stiff with more folds) So if they combined that with other modern design features as well as up-to-date geo, it would be an amazing frame.

I am going to try and organize a meeting asap.

Nice idea Ali.

Surely if they were going to do it again, I think the idea of sponsering a top british rider to publisise the frame would be good and why would they only make one geo? They did two sizes originally (13" and 15" if I remember correctly). Then get one top rider for each frame style.

They could do one street version (04 pure or 26" version of the ET Ashton) and one comp version (1090, 72deg, 380cs, +30bb) - both would look lovely with that downtube.

They did two sizes originally (13" and 15" if I remember correctly).

The two sizes weren't an 'option' though, they were effectively different versions of the frame. The 15" was initially released and this was reduced on the later model to 13" due to trials frames getting smaller and more trials specific.

Don't want to be negative but I think you'll have your work cut out Ali. I have tried to put this idea into our reps. head a few times and we've chatted about the possibility of a remake. I tried to make a big deal of how the market has matured and how there is definately a gap for a well made modern British comp frame. I think they would take a lot of convincing, but if we stir enough interest anything is possible.

got an email address and blasted one through, I am not holding my breath, but lets see what happens.

I did work experience at Orange years ago and met Steve Wade (one of the owners). I showed him some of my (BAD) drawings, he was really kind and showed me some top secrete CAD designs of the prototype Zero and even did a CAD design of one of my drawings (still got the print off now). This was about 9-10 years ago now! I hope he remembers me :rolleyes:

I know you said don`t get excited but come on it would be amazing, thinking Ashton geo would be sweet i like the fact that in Britain when most companies like Ashton, Pashley, Lesson and Orange make bikes people get so passionate about them they nearly always become cult bikes, cant think of many older riders who haven't had at least on of these brands of bike.

It was a great old frame... but i am sure it wasn't british made. Think Orange did the design work and they were made in the far east somewhere, like almost all of the stuff we ride.

If they made it over here the cost of it would be far too high.

I would love to see Orange do a revamped version of this bike. Thinking 1080;+30;380. If you want the original have a look on ebay, they are always on there.