Heatsink's 26" Bike - '04 Echo Control

Heatsink

Hi,

A new build on this old frame! I was going to paint the frame first, but the compulsion to get out riding was too strong. I thought I'd build it up and then see what needs tweaking, followed by a new paint job once I've got hooked back into riding this bike!

Current Spec:

• 2004 Echo Control frame, stripped and partially sanded (start on painting prep.)
  • Steel Onza Tuff Guy forks with 2001 Feebal sticker
  • 18t HSB Cloud9 Bashkit on square taper Middleburn RS7s (18 : 16 gearing), DMR V12 pedals
  • Wheel set: Ground walled Mavic D521 Rear on Deore LX hub (wow!) / Smooth walled Alex DM24 on unbranded hub
  • Brakes: Magura 04 with HSB Yellow pads Rear / Deore Vee & Avid Speed5 lever with HSB Red CNC Vees Front
  • Echo straight bars + Polished & Gold anodised Echo Supa stem + Raleigh Foam grips
  • Tyres: Intense Comp 60 DH 2.40" Rear / Kenda 1.95" Front
  • Shimano Exage 300EX Rear mech (short cage road mech) locked with a cut down spoke and cages spaced out for the chain
  • KMC 1/8" Kool chain
  • Shimano LX UN53 Square taper bottom bracket
  • Hope single speed alu spacers + 16t sprocket

To do:

• Bars too long: Cut 1 inch off each end.
  • Fit the polished & gold anodised HSB booster
  • Fit the polished & gold anodised HSB Vee backings
  • Fit the "Double Magura backing" bodge to rear pads (D521 too narrow for the frame!)
  • Raise bars higher: Change the fork to my other black steel one (curved not straight blade) with a longer steerer so the stem can be spaced up higher.
  • Secure the grips onto the bars with hair spay
  • Dismantle bike, paint the frame Satin black, rebuild
  • Add stickers

controlapril09no1.jpg

controlapril09no2.jpg

controlapril09no3.jpg

controlapril09no4.jpg

controlapril09no5.jpg

controlapril09no6.jpg

controlapril09no7.jpg

controlapril09no8.jpg

controlapril09no9.jpg

controlapril09no10.jpg

controlapril09no11.jpg

controlapril09no12.jpg

I really enjoyed riding in the glorious lunchtime sun today :)

Comments from my work mates when I got the bike out of my car at the start of lunch:

"Where's the seat?"

"Where's the seat?"

"Where's the seat?"

"Where's the seat?"

Needed: a witty reply to replace the long winded explanation!

Comments from the public:

"That's very good balancing"

I'll take any nice comments about my riding I can get!

Updates coming soon,

Steve

looks really nice! whats the wheelbase on it?

Stop licking arse it looks shit lol

Shimano LX rear hub? :sick:

Yack indeed.

That stem nearly made me throw up.

Sorry well I'm not really but that bike looks terrible lol. It looks like someone has stuck all the spares they have collected over the years together to make a trials bike up.

It looks like someone has stuck all the spares they have collected over the years together to make a trials bike up.

To be fair, that's probably what it is! Other than the gold stem it doesn't look so bad, though the rear hub sounds like death

Steve, you'd get far more manpoints if it was the '04 short, but good to see you back on the scene again (Y)

DON'T SPRAY IT BLACK, COLOURFUL BIKES ALL THE WAY!

It looks like someone has stuck all the spares they have collected over the years together to make a trials bike up.

A fair comment Alan! Trials on a shoestring, and enjoying every minute :) The gold stem has been patiently waiting to be used for a few years now. I took pity on it and finally gave it a chance.

I'm easily persuaded on the colour Luke! Ive been swaying between burgundy and black. Burgundy and gold through the build (booster/stem/pad backings) will no doubt jarr a few teeth. A bit of experimentation let's call it.

Steve

A fair comment Alan! Trials on a shoestring, and enjoying every minute :)

Steve

I love you man you're too nice. The main thing is that you are enjoying yourself riding it ignore bike snobs like me ha ha. Happy riding.

Yack indeed.

That stem nearly made me throw up.

Sorry well I'm not really but that bike looks terrible lol. It looks like someone has stuck all the spares they have collected over the years together to make a trials bike up.

my bad lol

i dont have a clue on bike history, but they look very old parts but what i gather top notch stuff, the bikes looks amazing.

That's very generous of you! The only new parts are the Cloud9 bashkit and Vee pads. Everything else has sort of been frozen in time from around 2004. That's when real life intervened on my riding aspirations!

Nevertheless, I really like how it rides and I'm looking forward to further improving the set-up:

1. Better relative hand/foot placement to suit me

2. Different colour to breathe some life in the frame

3. More coloured components as "bike jewelery"

If I keep up the riding regularity of the last few days then I could get much fitter this summer :)

Steve

I love you man you're too nice. The main thing is that you are enjoying yourself riding it ignore bike snobs like me ha ha. Happy riding.

now whos doing the arse licking....

Some trialtech riser bars + a new stem with rise would give the bike a better overall look. But overall I really like the bike. Has a nice old school feel. How do you ride with a 16pt engagement hub?

Popping an alternative stem + riser bars on tonight :) I may treat myself to a new hub in the near future. Well, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 2nd hand one anyway!

Steve

I love my 04 control. Mines a long and measures in at 1100. Im running some old Zoo! bars (again from 2004) and a Pazzaz stem and its so comfortable on the back wheel.

Yours looks Fab though.