How Long Will It Take ?

'LEWIS'

Hey, i've only been riding for a couple of days now and have begun to realise how hard riding trials actually is, nowhere near as easy as it looks. :mellow:

So, I was just wondering how long did it take you to learn the basics and what was the first thing you learnt ? But not just learning basics, being able to perform skills at a good standard/level, by that I mean trackstanding, wheelie/manual, bunnyhop etc.

I've heard it can take years. >_<

Thankyou people.

Lewis. :)

You sorta heard correctly. Some people are just good at it from the word go, but for most it takes years to get to get good enough to leave an impression on casual observers.

Matt

Yeah okay mate, I see, but i'm sure it's worth it. ^_^

Lewis.

Hey, i've only been riding for a couple of days now and have begun to realise how hard riding trials actually is, nowhere near as easy as it looks. :mellow:

So, I was just wondering how long did it take you to learn the basics and what was the first thing you learnt ? But not just learning basics, being able to perform skills at a good standard/level, by that I mean trackstanding, wheelie/manual, bunnyhop etc.

I've heard it can take years. >_<

Thankyou people.

Lewis. :)

This part is not true.

Anyone, and I mean anyone! can do it if they put there mind to it.

Just get out there and practise your balance every day.

Don't learn to manual on it straight away, that's possibly one of the hardest things to master.

Take a look here: http://www.trashzen.com,

and learn how to; Backhop and kickhop.

What bike are you riding by the way?

It may take some time from the start. But once you learn to hop on the back wheel and things, then you can start doing drop and so on. Just get out everyday or most days and practice practice practice. If you put the time in it you can progress. Learn by watching other riders videos, or even other riders in your area, and if your unsure, ask them to teach you ( if there nice enough ) As Horndean Trials said. Visit www.trashzen.com you can learn how to do some basic moves to get you started. Remember you cant run before you can walk so just start out simple and you will be on your way. Just practice and you should have it in no time. Im from Southend too..well close. I don't ride anymore but if i come out to take photos and things. I would kindly lend a hand helping you.

Ben :)

Edited by mrBENN

AGES. JUST GIVE UP.

Edit: I'm sorry.

Sort of depends on age I think. If you start at ~10, everything takes longer because you aren't as strong/developed. Older you get the faster it is up to about 35 when you'll just be too old and complaining about back pains and shit.

Edited by The Duck

For younger riders, they seem to pick it up pretty quick. Honestly, from the very beginning trials may look 'impossible' and 'unnatural'... but really, it's not at all. Once you learn how to lift the rear and front wheels up independently, that'll open up a whole new door of bike control... 'rocking' from front to rear wheel is basic, as is the trackstand, both of which will make backhops seem a lot more manageable. Once you break that barrier and get backhops, you're pretty much set. Gapping isn't that hard to grasp after learning how to hop about.

Trials is made up of a very short and limited list of relatively similar skills, so there's not much 'new' stuff to constantly learn. It's all just more an adaptation and manipulation of old/current skills... which is what all these good riders are doing.

Take a sport like Flatland BMX... and man, you've got a lot more to worry about! ;). There's a ton of tricks, variations, and so on... each one a bloody pain to master. It's like learning manuals and nose manuals constantly from scratch... now that is a bitch. Trials riders have got it gooood :P

The main thing to do is get a reasonable track stand, both with and without brakes and learn to lift and place the front and rear wheels. After that (Or better yet while you're learning that) go straight to trying to ride your bike over things. Have a look for the kerb competition videos on here to get an idea of how much can be done on even simple stuff. Getting on the back and front wheels will happen as you need it to get across things...

When I was starting, one of the main things I spent time on was riding up steps (Mostly because they were convenient). Start by walking the bike sideways up the steps wheel by wheel, then move to hopping the bike up sideways or forwards two wheels at a time, then sidehopping using a pedal kick, then sidehopping on the back wheel, then pedal kicking forwards on the back wheel, then hopping multiple steps at a time, then hopping up the steps sideways alternating front and back wheels but only having one wheel on the ground at any time, then hopping forwards up the steps on the back wheel without using pedal kicks etc.

Once you've got all that you just need to worry about doing the same things only bigger. Try and ride on as many different obstacles as possible too. Even if you don't have a lot around thinking of new ways to ride old obstacles is still rewarding... I'd also recommend wearing some shin guards :P...

Edited by psycholist

AGES. JUST GIVE UP.

Edit: I'm sorry.

Sort of depends on age I think. If you start at ~10, everything takes longer because you aren't as strong/developed. Older you get the faster it is up to about 35 when you'll just be too old and complaining about back pains and shit.

LMFAO :lol:

Thats me f**ked on Friday then!

Matt

I'd say all the basic can sort of be learned on steps as well. They're pretty easy to find. I spent a lot of time playing on them and other smallish ledges before I was brave enough for... the bench!!! Yea. It's all down to practise really and getting used to moving the bike around.

This part is not true.

Anyone, and I mean anyone! can do it if they put there mind to it.

Just get out there and practise your balance every day.

Don't learn to manual on it straight away, that's possibly one of the hardest things to master.

Take a look here: http://www.trashzen.com,

and learn how to; Backhop and kickhop.

What bike are you riding by the way?

Hey, thanks for the tips, i'll take a look at the site.

I'm riding a saracen at the moment, as unfortunately my house had been robbed so i'm on a tight budget at the moment, but when things are hopefully sorted I can just add and change parts as I go. It still has the 'essentials'like a magura hs33 on the back and stuff.

Cheers.

Lewis.

It may take some time from the start. But once you learn to hop on the back wheel and things, then you can start doing drop and so on. Just get out everyday or most days and practice practice practice. If you put the time in it you can progress. Learn by watching other riders videos, or even other riders in your area, and if your unsure, ask them to teach you ( if there nice enough ) As Horndean Trials said. Visit www.trashzen.com you can learn how to do some basic moves to get you started. Remember you cant run before you can walk so just start out simple and you will be on your way. Just practice and you should have it in no time. Im from Southend too..well close. I don't ride anymore but if i come out to take photos and things. I would kindly lend a hand helping you.

Ben :)

Oh nice one thanks mate, much appreciated. :)

I may do as and when I progress, cheers.

Lewis.

For younger riders, they seem to pick it up pretty quick. Honestly, from the very beginning trials may look 'impossible' and 'unnatural'... but really, it's not at all. Once you learn how to lift the rear and front wheels up independently, that'll open up a whole new door of bike control... 'rocking' from front to rear wheel is basic, as is the trackstand, both of which will make backhops seem a lot more manageable. Once you break that barrier and get backhops, you're pretty much set. Gapping isn't that hard to grasp after learning how to hop about.

Trials is made up of a very short and limited list of relatively similar skills, so there's not much 'new' stuff to constantly learn. It's all just more an adaptation and manipulation of old/current skills... which is what all these good riders are doing.

Take a sport like Flatland BMX... and man, you've got a lot more to worry about! ;). There's a ton of tricks, variations, and so on... each one a bloody pain to master. It's like learning manuals and nose manuals constantly from scratch... now that is a bitch. Trials riders have got it gooood :P

Yeah, I see, sounds pretty good then. ^_^

From what I can tell, all it takes is just practice, practice and more practice.

The main thing to do is get a reasonable track stand, both with and without brakes and learn to lift and place the front and rear wheels. After that (Or better yet while you're learning that) go straight to trying to ride your bike over things. Have a look for the kerb competition videos on here to get an idea of how much can be done on even simple stuff. Getting on the back and front wheels will happen as you need it to get across things...

When I was starting, one of the main things I spent time on was riding up steps (Mostly because they were convenient). Start by walking the bike sideways up the steps wheel by wheel, then move to hopping the bike up sideways or forwards two wheels at a time, then sidehopping using a pedal kick, then sidehopping on the back wheel, then pedal kicking forwards on the back wheel, then hopping multiple steps at a time, then hopping up the steps sideways alternating front and back wheels but only having one wheel on the ground at any time, then hopping forwards up the steps on the back wheel without using pedal kicks etc.

Once you've got all that you just need to worry about doing the same things only bigger. Try and ride on as many different obstacles as possible too. Even if you don't have a lot around thinking of new ways to ride old obstacles is still rewarding... I'd also recommend wearing some shin guards :P...

I think i'll give that a go then, thankyou mate. :)

Yeah I might consider the shinguards, i've had a few slips already not good.

Lewis.

Took me two month to learn how to pedal hop. Been riding a year now. :)

In-fact it's a year to this day i got my first trials bike. :)

Nice one man.

Keep riding and one day........when I have better ability, I may go civic or something ride with some locals. :ermm:

Lewis.

when I have better ability, I may go civic or something ride with some locals. :ermm:

Lewis.

You don't need to have ability to come along.

In-fact if you come with zero ability you will learn tips and so on to get better on rides.

You will find it easier to learn by watching people in person and asking questions and answers rather than just watching vids.

So I shall be meeting you soon. Or hunting you down and dragging you to civic :D

You don't need to have ability to come along.

In-fact if you come with zero ability you will learn tips and so on to get better on rides.

You will find it easier to learn by watching people in person and asking questions and answers rather than just watching vids.

So I shall be meeting you soon. Or hunting you down and dragging you to civic :D

I see how it is, will do mate, I have been told by others best way to learn is from others.

What's like your style of riding ? Is it like TGS or streety ?