Police Stop And Search

sideburns(dnt ask)

easy guys

I got stopped the other night and searched by four police officers.

I'm wondering weather the search they carried out was legal 'cause i never got a name and number off any of them,

or a stop and search form, even though they went through all my pockets and my bag,

they threatened to confiscate some paint i had on me but they never did but the copper was a bit of a willy so i wanted his number.

Any information/ideas would be greatly appreciated

Peace

I don't know the legalities of it all, but policeman all have their numbers on their lapels (unless it's the G20 summit, apparently).

So, you should have got their numbers from there. Failing that, all policeman must identify themselves by giving you their number and I'm pretty certain they must give you their surname.

If they took your pot, sorry, you've been stitched.

Usually cops are only dicks if you have something to hide or get all arsey about it. If you didn't do anything wrong and didn't have anything illegal on you, what's the problem?

You're entitled to a copy of the Stop and Search form and that should have the officers number written on it at least. Go to your local station as sometimes if they can't give you a copy of the Stop and Search form there and then, then you can pick it up from the local station within a period of 12 months. But that could just be a MET thing?

When they stop you I beleive they have to tell you why they are stopping you. If they don't have any grounds for a search then you can refuse it. (but they almost always come up with a reason so not much chance of you stopping them)

As others have said they HAVE to give you a stop and search form which outlines when, where and by whom you were stopped/searched.

Have a quick google search on stop and search rights, you'll get loads of info. They shouldn't have even searched your pockets/bag themselves, but asked you to empty the contents of them.

I'd make a complaint at your local police station, they should know who was in what area at what times

Frooty

I've been stopped and searched a couple of times and as far as I know they have to have reasonable grounds for suspicion and they don't have to give you a form, but they're meant to offer you the chance to have one. First time I didn't ask for one, second time I took them up on the offer :D

By the way, did you actually ask for his number or was you aiming to get it from the Stop and Search form? I've had my number taken a few times just because people are being really petty and in a bad mood so it's just case of pass over my number and nothing else as that's all they'd need to identify me. Go to your local station if it happened near to where you live or just the local station for the area where you was stopped and ask at the front desk. In all honesty though if they haven't made a record of the stop and search then there's not really much you can do in terms of tracing the officers as there'll be no record of the stop and no way of tracing who was in what area at what time... Try the local station and if there's no trace of it then next time remember to ask for a copy of the stop if you didn't this time as that'll give you all the information you require and it's also your legal right...

When they stop you I beleive they have to tell you why they are stopping you. If they don't have any grounds for a search then you can refuse it. (but they almost always come up with a reason so not much chance of you stopping them)

Every time for me, the reason was "Anti Terrorism". Apparently, taking photos of Mike Singleton could lead to me being a terrorist, or a terrorist hiding in our group, taking photos of important buildings. That were hidden behind other buildings. That were hidden behind other buildings too. At night.

What.

I don't know the legalities of it all, but policeman all have their numbers on their lapels (unless it's the G20 summit, apparently).

So, you should have got their numbers from there. Failing that, all policeman must identify themselves by giving you their number and I'm pretty certain they must give you their surname.

yeah thats all right. they need to identify all that in ANY situation though.

also pcso's cant search you and they also cant give you a fine without a fully qualified police officer.

so remember that next time they try and do you for riding :)

(also they cant give chase :P )

They're allowed to detain you for 30mins though, so if there's 2 of them that's an hour of you life slowly slipping away...

Just for the record, seeing one of them having a total sense of despair at the fact that even within an hour they couldn't get a 'real' policeman to come and tell us off for riding (On a Friday night, in central London...) was priceless.

They're allowed to detain you for 30mins though, so if there's 2 of them that's an hour of you life slowly slipping away...

Just for the record, seeing one of them having a total sense of despair at the fact that even within an hour they couldn't get a 'real' policeman to come and tell us off for riding (On a Friday night, in central London...) was priceless.

Only one of them will be able to detain you... Can't have one do 30 minutes and the other do the next 30 minutes...

And it depends what force they're with as well... BTP issue handcuffs to their PCSO's which allows them to detain with force if needed. So yeah not every force has the same rules as say the next county...

Ah, they led us to believe the could do it like that. I didn't fully believe them, and to be honest, if they'd been planning on making us just sit around for an hour I probably would've waited for an opportune moment then got the f**k out of there...

Ah, they led us to believe the could do it like that. I didn't fully believe them, and to be honest, if they'd been planning on making us just sit around for an hour I probably would've waited for an opportune moment then got the f**k out of there...

I take it to be that this happened in London and was the MET? When I was with the MET I used to get around the 30 minute rule by merely talking to the person and keeping them occupied and only if I got desperate would I use the 30 minute detention so more often than not, I could have kept them there for an hour if needs be and it would all be perfectly legal but I always had an officer with me within 10 minutes but that was an outer London borough. So yeah they can't take it in turns to detain you and in all honesty I would have thought they would have used a bit of common sense what with it being a Friday night in London. I think it comes down to who you get on the day though. I've worked with people that are complete idiots and have no idea how to talk to people which doesn't help the situation.

Anyhow next time if they both detain you then I'd recommend taking their numbers and asking for the stop slip and would put in a complaint... (But make sure you're 100% sure they've told you that you're being detained and to get them to note it down in their pocketbooks...)

Also in answer to Robs bit... It depends what force. In the MET I used to be able to fine people for riding and no where did it say it had to be in the company of a PC and more often than not they're allowed to chase and detain you using force if required and just to make it more interesting, BTP also allow their PCSO's to search persons once they've detained them as they're allowed to search for articles used to effect an escape.

Going off topic a bit really but just to sum up... Request a copy of the Stop slips and if they're unable to provide one then at least take their Collar numbers so you can go into the station at a later date to request a copy.

Dont see what the huge deal is, Me and my mates get searched nearly every Friday and saturday we're out.

Because getting stopped and searched sucks when it's for no reason? Plus the whole civil liberties thing, etc...

:o . You're a bad, bad man. Don't listen to him kids; respect the filth police (Y) .

Not really - if someone's being a complete twat and trying to suggest we were trying to break into cars when we obviously weren't, and their colleague has said we obviously weren't, I can't really be bothered waiting for a policeman who's never going to come. They even said that when they got there we weren't going to get fined or anything like that, so I didn't really see the point. It would've been my civic duty to free up some valuable police time on a Friday night by not getting a talking to for getting lost...

I take it to be that this happened in London and was the MET? When I was with the MET I used to get around the 30 minute rule by merely talking to the person and keeping them occupied and only if I got desperate would I use the 30 minute detention so more often than not, I could have kept them there for an hour if needs be and it would all be perfectly legal but I always had an officer with me within 10 minutes but that was an outer London borough. So yeah they can't take it in turns to detain you and in all honesty I would have thought they would have used a bit of common sense what with it being a Friday night in London. I think it comes down to who you get on the day though. I've worked with people that are complete idiots and have no idea how to talk to people which doesn't help the situation.

Yeah, that's largely the problem I've had with virtually every PCSO I've met in Central London. Apparently people skills aren't high on the list of training requirements. I've had experiences ranging from a PCSO threatening to have a fight with a friend of mine who was sitting outside his house in his own garden for 'looking at him funny' (no, really...), one who turned his back on us and whistled when we tried talking to him, one who tried telling us that we were wasting our lives and should get a 'real hobby' - the vast majority have been fairly negative experiences, whereas strangely almost all of my encounters with the 'real' police have been fine, which is weird considering they're the ones who have more ability to make your day shitty.

Yea same with OBM and Mr. Plod, PCSO's are a total waste of space and will try to fine / rape you for any minor riding offence because they don't have powers to actually do anything about people doing real crimes! I will confess that I *alledgedly* ran from a PCSO who was trying to give me a £40 fine for riding down Basildon high street when it was a "no riding zone" I politley pointed out to her that there were so signs or road markings which would have let me know, then she started getting really really shitty with me, so considering she was 18+ stone, alone, and being a dick I decided to take advantage.

*i did write out a load of shit about always the people who don't cause trouble getting punished, but ill just link you to loads of arguments about middle class, working people who are the most discriminated against www.dailymail.co.uk*

Easy guys thanks for all the replys,

I just needed to know the information cause there was a lot of spray paint in my bag (for fully legal purposes)

and they said they were forwarding on my name and address to the department that handles things to to with graffiti,

ad i don't particularly want my details being passed on while I've not done anything wrong.

Peace

I've only had one encounter with these pretend bobbies, one came towards us and called out, "you're not supposed to be here are you lads", so we just shouted nope, "oh, sorry", and rode off before she could get any closer. :lol: