How Old Is "old Skool"

idlehans

• 1 month later...
Cheers dude,but that doesn't really answer my question. My pashley is 2002 (i think ?) and people always say it's old skool and that's what got me thinking about it How old is old skool ?

I ride, have ridden a Cannondale Ashton, every where i go pepole call it old skool cool, which i guess it is as it came out 10 years ago i think? (if im wrong im sorry), but I still think they are an amzing bike, along with the Pashley, I guess im just soooo used to riding the 'old skool' frame as opposed to the new geometry (for me).

I would concider old skool trials bikes/ frames to include (but not limited to):

Cannondale 'Martyn Ashton' Beast of the East,

Giant 'Martin Hawyes' Team Trials,

Orange 'Petr Kraus' Zero,

Pace 'Chris Akrigg' RC250,

Pashley 'Matt Tongue' 26Mhz,

GT 'Hans Rey' Zaskar,

and there will be more. Basically to me, it is a time when bike manufacturers made mountain bikes that were just on the edge of trials bike geometry. A time when seemingly super human riders would take 'normal' bikes and ride accross lunar like terrain. It was a time when Trials was about riding awesome natural terrain rather than TGS in a town centre. It was a time that used to stir my emotions for trials riding in a way that has never been matched since.

You can't draw a line in the sand really, some things went out of style quicker than others.

I think frames like the t-lite and the t-mag and master that were out when the t-lite was out are just about approaching old school but aren't quite there yet.

I recently got beaten in a comp by a guy who was riding a bike that was a year younger than me, it was new in 1987!

Edited by JT!

i ride a 99/00 saracen xile i would say that was just about old skool, but yeah the old cannondale's, giant's, megamo's, brisa's, orange zero's, pashley 26mhz's, saracen mad x-tort's, cresent illonois's, vario tibo's they are proper old skool.

no, no, no, no, NO NO NO...

All those apostrophes that don't belong there. Christ, I was nearly sick. At least warn me before you do that, dude.

hi

i think old skool for me is my 1st ever trials bike was a azonic ds1, with the really exspensive italian seat. with cannondale fatty forks.

then i had the 1st planet x jack flash.

also i rode with a few guys who had martin hayens giant

was anyone elso in this era???

i am 25 now coming on 26.

i think it was when tricks and stunts 1st came out.

Dean.

I'm 30 years old, therefore, for me old school is very old.

I've got 15 years on you there... so here's some VERY old school. The Bike is a Cunningham -- the only trials example ever made (from about 190 total bikes). The rider is Jim Trigonis -- who competed at the top level in the US in the late 1980's. Loads of old school details here: Toe clips/straps? Those pants!?

web.jpg

Edited by halaburt