Age 8 And Wanting A Sex Change.

Danny

When he hits 12 and gets a boner, he's so gonna think "this things awesome!" and change his mind.

hahahahaHAHA :lol:

That bird that Adam posted seems like my ideal woman, she'd understand the 2 hour toilet trip on a Sunday morning to read the paper, and would probably not complain about the amount of bicycle and motorbike parts littered around our house! (Just me and Daddy now, so there's engines and stuff literally everywhere. :lol:).

That's because the program is about 8 year old transexuals. She's not 8 years old, and she's not a transexual, she's a hermaphrodite.

lol i watched some of it.. but i left my mum to watch the rest with my younger bro, hope my bro doesnt get any ideas lmao

sure he'l be fine.. hes a skater dudee...

haaha

i thaught firstly was a bit unconsiderably discusting, but so what, live your own life i say...

What happens if they get the sex change and then later on in life realise that they made a mistake and want to be a boy again.

Kids at that age should not be worried about being a boy or a girl.

The world record is like 52 sex changes or something, so it shouldnt be a problem!

I missed the programme, but I saw it advertised. In my opinion gender 'choice' (if you can call it that) is a mental thing. It's not like a "Oh, I think I'll be a girl" decision.

I know a lot of girls who are pretty much lads - they sit around, drink, fart, burp and thats normal to them. Of course they're not going to go and cut there hair short and get some funky operations. There personality is more of that of a male - some females find this concept unnerving because they don't sit at home looking in the mirror and worrying about their hair.

These people geniunely believe they are the opposite sex, which is an important factor; it has little to do with age. Sure, the parents could be blamed in that they encourage beyond what is healthy, and maybe some do just that to grab the headlines.

I know if I went home and started wearing dresses and makeup my Dad would have some rather serious words with me - sure, he may well respect my choices in life, but generally gender change is not welcomed in everyday society - for example a particular Big Brother contestant was a transexual, she was outcasted and received some rather insulting newspaper headlines.

Is that justified? Does gender change personally insult anyone when strictly speaking, it's a mental condition. Some people firmly believe they are someone else; isn't that a similar thing?

Sure, with kids it's a little bit creepy, a little bit odd and I have to agree that they may, perhaps, be a little too young to understand. Although no matter what their parents do, say or try to change, that kid is still going to believe he/she is a she/he...and nothing will really change that.

Certainly, this could only be a phrase in their life that they'll grow out of, I'm sure most people featured on the documentary will at some point in there teenage lives look back and think "f**king hell, what was I thinking?"

Then theres the whole other aspect where these kids are going to be a bullies dream throughout their entire childhood and teenage years; I can also predict this will have some unfortunate consequence.

Its a weird ol' topic, Male or Female, something we cannot determine or choose to be.

Think about it, everyone in this thread could have easily been a girl at birth.

I think about it in the same respect that people would change themselves to be a different style or culture, and for most the people in the documentary it is a massive step or change, so kudos to them for having the balls (yea bit of pun I suppose) to come out do what they feel is right.

Wanted to see this, I'll have to find it online at some point.

Though it's all abit wrong I think it's better to do it early as possible rather than get older and be completely unhappy with yourself.

There was a manager when I worked at Asda, he was mid-late 30's, married, with 2 kids (boys) he's 6ft something, well built, proper manly looking man who decided he wanted a sex change. Apparently he'd been deeply unhappy being male since he was in his teens but never dared do anything about it. Before the doctors would do anything with him (even as much as give him the hormones) he had to live as a woman for 2 years - pretty odd seeing a tall tonk bloke come into work in a blouse and skirt, with a wig, calling himself Tammy... Anyway the point I'm getting at is this guy's kids will likely face the consequences at school for having a butch woman for a dad, and god knows what's going on with his wife, pretty messed up, so maybe it's better to make the decision at 8 than 38?

Political correctess gone mad!! f**king sick bastards. Really pisses me off to be honest, especially when i walk round uni and see signs that say 'this uni doesn't tolerate transphobia'. Its like f**k off, it's wrong in every sense of the word, its like, why should we not discriminate against them??? If they have the right to walk around being/acting/doing the things someone of the opposite sex does, surely I should have the right to at least discriminate then, surely I should have the right to f**king shoot them if i wanted, still morally wrong in my eyes....

Can't the world just wake the f**k up, and stop letting these unnatural things just 'be acceptable'?? So much shit is wrong in this world..... :(

Political correctess gone mad!! f**king sick bastards. Really pisses me off to be honest, especially when i walk round uni and see signs that say 'this uni doesn't tolerate transphobia'. Its like f**k off, it's wrong in every sense of the word, its like, why should we not discriminate against them??? If they have the right to walk around being/acting/doing the things someone of the opposite sex does, surely I should have the right to at least discriminate then, surely I should have the right to f**king shoot them if i wanted, still morally wrong in my eyes....

Can't the world just wake the f**k up, and stop letting these unnatural things just 'be acceptable'?? So much shit is wrong in this world..... :(

Out of curiousity, why do you feel it wrong?

What if we considered this in terms of brain physiology and imagine a male being born with, in part, a 'female' brain meaning that they felt female despite having a male body. We might empathise with this situation by considering how we might feel if suddenly we 'inhabited' a female body yet held onto our current male self-identification. It might be a bit uncomfortable living with male desires in a female body. Of course, it would probably be fun for a short while given some male desires :P

Regardless of cause these people feel that in some way that they are of the opposite gender to the body they possess. If the best and perhaps only means of them finding some kind of happiness is by aligning their body image with their emotional/self identity would you not want these individuals do that in order to feel happy? Isn't that the most important thing rather than fulfilling some random idea of what 'natural' is. And in fact it's probably 'nature', especially if they were born with the condition, that has caused such a situation. Of course, it really depends on how we want to define the word, 'nature'.

Often people define that which is natural in terms of what they think they understand and doesn't scare them because of that understanding. Conversly, often people are scared of what they don't understand and class it as unnatural. When we call something natural or otherwise, I think it's a label that it worth reflecting upon regarding our motivations for using it.

Edited by Ben Rowlands

What if we considered this in terms of brain physiology and imagine a male being born with, in part, a 'female' brain meaning that they felt female despite having a male body. We might empathise with this situation by considering how we might feel if suddenly we 'inhabited' a female body yet held onto our current male self-identification. It might be a bit uncomfortable living with male desires in a female body. Of course, it would probably be fun for a short while given some male desires :P

Regardless of cause these people feel that in some way that they are of the opposite gender to the body they possess. If the best and perhaps only means of them finding some kind of happiness is by aligning their body image with their emotional/self identity would you not want these individuals do that in order to feel happy? Isn't that the most important thing rather than fulfilling some random idea of what 'natural' is. And in fact it's probably 'nature', especially if they were born with the condition, that has caused such a situation. Of course, it really depends on how we want to define the word, 'nature'.

Often people define that which is natural in terms of what they think they understand and doesn't scare them because of that understanding. Conversly, often people are scared of what they don't understand and class it as unnatural. When we call something natural or otherwise, I think it's a label that it worth reflecting upon regarding our motivations for using it.

That's all well and good, but this isn't really about whether you believe transexuality is normal/whatever - that's a different debate. This is about whether you can you make these decisions aged 8? I doubt it...

I can see it form 'their' point of view, but I don't think letting them live how they think they should is necessarily the right way about going about it. Surely it's something wrong in their head, mental problem kind of thing, because you don't have a 'female' brain in a male body or whatever, you have the right brain, your just thinking wrong. Maybe its the same with (some) gays because I doubt (most) gays/trannys want to be how they are because they get discrimnated against, but they just feel different mentally, so i do sympathise.

I doubt that the majority of people think that allowing people to change sexes is 'what should be done', it might turn out to appear like that because people are scared of expressing their own feelings because they may be described as 'transphobic' or whatever.

I don't really know what 'should' be done, everything leads to positives and negatives, but wouldn't you feel a bit f**ked over if years later down the line you found out that you'd actually screwed a man or whatever??! its just not right, surely??!!

Whats anyone elses thoughts? Solutions??

That's all well and good, but this isn't really about whether you believe transexuality is normal/whatever - that's a different debate. This is about whether you can you make these decisions aged 8? I doubt it...

No you can't. Your mum and dad should try and keep you on the straight and narrow. Doing what is right...

Surely the more trannys and gays that arise, the more 'normal' it will get, which will inturn lead to the whole system getting f**ked up and there being even more gays and trannys as when children growing up being gay/tranny would be percieved as normal

Surely the more trannys and gays that arise, the more 'normal' it will get, which will inturn lead to the whole system getting f**ked up and there being even more gays and trannys as when children growing up being gay/tranny would be percieved as normal

What an utterly disgusting scenario. That would make loads of difference to my life. Urgh*

* I'm joking, btw.

Yeah fair enough, but tris began the tangent and I just continued it. Sorry but I'm not very good at being strict to the threads defined direction and I don't think it's particularly important either. I simply responded to what interested me the most.

Regarding 8 year olds knowing what is best for them, to be honest, I don't know. I would assume that transgender treatment is more effective the earlier it occurs? Puberty is the point where certain physical differences between males and females becomes more prominent and differentiated. Choir boys at one time in history were castrated (affecting hormone levels) to avoid a deepened voice. So I'm assuming that certain methods (hormone treatment?) could inhibit other more masculine traits from developing which would probably be difficult or even impossible to alter (bone structure?) later in life. It may also be possible that with the same confidence that we can self identify with being male, transgenders or transexuals (which is the right term?) even at age 8 can identify themselves as female in the way we are considering. I don't know. I guess we could go some way of establishing this likelihood by knowing how older transgendered people felt at that age? Presumably trained psychologists are involved who would have some reference to the likelihoods involved? Seems like it would be a balancing act though. Personally I need more evidence to form any strong opinion on the matter.

I can see it form 'their' point of view, but I don't think letting them live how they think they should is necessarily the right way about going about it. Surely it's something wrong in their head, mental problem kind of thing, because you don't have a 'female' brain in a male body or whatever, you have the right brain, your just thinking wrong. Maybe its the same with (some) gays because I doubt (most) gays/trannys want to be how they are because they get discrimnated against, but they just feel different mentally, so i do sympathise.

I doubt that the majority of people think that allowing people to change sexes is 'what should be done', it might turn out to appear like that because people are scared of expressing their own feelings because they may be described as 'transphobic' or whatever.

I don't really know what 'should' be done, everything leads to positives and negatives, but wouldn't you feel a bit f**ked over if years later down the line you found out that you'd actually screwed a man or whatever??! its just not right, surely??!!

Whats anyone elses thoughts? Solutions??

No you can't. Your mum and dad should try and keep you on the straight and narrow. Doing what is right...

Is it nature or nurture? Something that has a genetic basis or is thought up/learnt in development? It could even be a mixture of both. I guess the point is, like you seem to recognise, it's very real for the person going through it regardless of the underlying cause.

It sounds as though you're blatantly homophobic though? To be honest, I'm not sure how much I would care if the transexual was perceivable as a woman - if I saw her as I do a natural women, so to speak. The girl on the first page was very convincing as a female. And if I enjoyed the experience at the time with the false impression that this person was born female, would it matter if later I found out that the situation was otherwise? I think this would only be an issue if my self image felt threatened with the suggestion that it meant I was gay or something. I don't feel that such a label matters but if I know myself otherwise and aren't really too bothered about what others 'might' think, then obviously I wouldn't care. Why do we have to care about such things? We worry over so many things that we simply don't have to and would make for a much more pleasant world if we were to stop.

I feel that people feeling differing ways about their gender or sexuality is normal. Existence has caused this. These individuals cause no inescapable harm such as physical violence onto others. The problem is with others and the way they choose to react.

Of course you're also entitled to feel how you do :)

edit: Just watched it. Very interesting but leaves some very difficult questions regarding what is appropriate :S

Edited by Ben Rowlands

So you're saying everyone should give up their sexual preference because you're too narrow minded to accept anything that isn't normal. Normal...what the f**k is normal anyway? And who are you to claim whats right and wrong with other people?

You seem to hold quite strong opinions on gender change - have you accidently slept with one or something?

People can do whatever the hell they want with their bodies, its their choice and I'm glad we live in a country were this is openly acceptable. Sure, they do get a lot of shit for it...do they care? I doubt it.

I don't know what century you're living in, but being gay is perfectly acceptable these days - if you found out someone you speak to on a daily basis was gay, would you stop talking to them? If you found out a close friend wanted a sex change, would you cast them out or support it?

Sure, I might crack a joke about gender change, but regards 'my f**kin' right to shoot them'? Hmmmm.

It sounds as though you're blatantly homophobic though? To be honest, I'm not sure how much I would care if the transexual was perceivable as a woman - if I saw her as I do a natural woman, so to speak. The girl on the first page was very convincing as a female. And if I enjoyed the experience at the time with the false impression that this person was born female, would it matter if later I found out that the situation was otherwise? I think this would only be an issue if my self image felt threatened with the suggestion that it meant I was gay or something. I don't feel that such a label matters but if I know myself otherwise and aren't really too bothered about what others 'might' think, then obviously I wouldn't care. Why do we have to care about such things? We worry over so many things that we simply don't have to and would make for a much more pleasant world if we were to stop.

I've thought about this in the past and I'm totally with you there. If you enjoy it who gives a shit? so to speak...

Didn't watch it but - f**ked up parents.

Put yourself in their shoes. Your 8 year old kid comes up to you and says 'I want a sex change'.

Do you say;

A - Yeah ok we'll look in to that or

B - Shut up and watch some Thomas the Tank Engine

?

B- Shut up and watch some Thomas the Tank Engine.

The kid doesn't know enough to make the decision. The kid would also lack the attention span to be told what they need to know.

Edited by Revolver