General Election 06/06/2010

Rusevelt

Anybody else see the BNP broadcast and think it was a pile of wank?

Yeah, I watched the speech by the depute and found it amusing the muppet features himself, Nick Griffin, turned up with the fat bald monkey in front of him and after about 5 minutes I was having urges to destroy the television so I had to turn it off... He make me physically angry....

He is a disgrace to our country and I feel ashamed at the prospect of someone from outside the UK seeing that, most of us know what he is about... We know just to ignore him.

Oh dear, Gordon Brown, may have just turned this election campaign on its head. He was heard live on air (his mic was still recording as he entered his car) about 40-50mins ago calling a labour voter Gillian Duffy a bigoted woman when she questioned him about immigration. No doubt he will apologize now as the news is spreading fast, but the damage is pretty much done.

Oh dear, Gordon Brown, may have just turned this election campaign on its head. He was heard live on air (his mic was still recording as he entered his car) about 40-50mins ago calling a labour voter Gillian Duffy a bigoted woman when she questioned him about immigration. No doubt he will apologize now as the news is spreading fast, but the damage is pretty much done.

That was hilarious.

They played it on the radio but the shit mic quality, coupled with the racket created by our machine meant I couldn't hear it very well. Wondered what it was but knew it would be that bumbling willy.

Definitely screwed up there Mr Brown

Are you real? Or some sort of RSS feed?

Doesn't anyone else see this as a complete irrelevance? So what if he called a woman a "bigot"? He lost his temper and said something he ideally shouldn't but that's exactly like anybody else in this world. That doesn't mean it should mark a definining point in voting for or against Labour. Similarly with all these other unsubstantial points such as spelling mistakes in a letter and so on. Surely what matters is what political difference, in a broad sense, that Labour would make if in power. Questions like, "what of the environment?", "what of education?", "what of foreign policy?", "what of social equality?", "what of poverty?" etc. and related policy should be much more important than, "he called a woman a 'bigot'". As much as soap opera appeals, it's still an irrelevance to what actually matters most to us from the position of being humans on a planet, with certain fundamental needs. Argh.

Doesn't anyone else see this as a complete irrelevance? So what if he called a woman a "bigot"? He lost his temper and said something he ideally shouldn't but that's exactly like anybody else in this world. That doesn't mean it should mark a definining point in voting for or against Labour. Similarly with all these other unsubstantial points such as spelling mistakes in a letter and so on. Surely what matters is what political difference, in a broad sense, that Labour would make if in power. Questions like, "what of the environment?", "what of education?", "what of foreign policy?", "what of social equality?", "what of poverty?" etc. and related policy should be much more important than, "he called a woman a 'bigot'". As much as soap opera appeals, it's still an irrelevance to what actually matters most to us from the position of being humans on a planet, with certain fundamental needs. Argh.

But Ben, the soon to be ex prime minister called an elderly bigoted woman bigoted... That's, like, bigger news than a volcano grounding UK flights for a week. Can't you see the bigger picture?! :P

It shows the very nature of his character when under pressure, or not in this case, as there was no cause for voicing his concerns to his aide in the car. And now that thousands of uk citizens have read this mornings headlines, this will probably have an even further knock on effect for tonights tv debate which should be interesting to see if either Cameron, or Clegg, use this as verbal ammunition to their advantage.

By next week, most of us won't give a damn about what happened yesterday in Rochdale, but there will be a percentage of people/voters (less clued up people) who will be thinking about the mindset of Gordon Brown, and will cast their vote on that. You've got to remember that there are a percentage of people who simply don't like Gordon Brown simply because they don't like him regardless of his experience as former chancellor of the exchequer.

Edited by Rusevelt

But Ben, the soon to be ex prime minister called an elderly bigoted woman bigoted... That's, like, bigger news than a volcano grounding UK flights for a week. Can't you see the bigger picture?! :P

Alas, your irony is apt. :(

It shows the very nature of his character when under pressure, or not in this case, as there was no cause for voicing his concerns to his aide in the car. And now that thousands of uk citizens have read this mornings headlines, this will probably have an even further knock on effect for tonights tv debate which should be interesting to see if either Cameron, or Clegg, use this as verbal ammunition to their advantage.

By next week, most of us won't give a damn about what happened yesterday in Rochdale, but there will be a percentage of people/voters (less clued up people) who will thinking about the mindset of Gordon Brown, and will cast their vote on that.

Okay, but who hasn't actually done something like that in their history? If we say "everyone has" then we clearly have to see how unimportant this act is. Otherwise, this type of judgement outrules any and all politicians from good governance. At least, for once, a politician expressed how they actually felt, regardless of justification, rather than acting the perfect candidate which, as we all know, is fraudulent.

Anyway, I wasn't aiming that at you, it was just a general jibe about the meaningless factors which clearly influence voting. It's like choosing between different brands of car purely because one has a leather steering wheel cover, ignoring all the variables that constitute a good car for your needs. It misses what's substantial and meaningful in the decision process. It's a love of the shiney.

Edited by Ben Rowlands

If people are stupid enough to think that Clegg and Cameron haven't done exactly the same thing, just without leaving they're mics on and being exposed, then they shouldn't be allowed to vote. It's an every day thing. People in shops for example, won't like some customers, who can be very unhelpful, but they still act courteous in front of them.

Check this video out for a brief introduction on UK foreign policy that informs us what we will receive most certainly from a Labour or Conservative government but also probably from a Liberal Democrat government.

It's amazing to consider what really happens in our name across the world. Additionally though, knowing about foreign policy and its underlying motivations is greatly suggestive of the nature of broader mainstream goverment policy (education, poverty, business and so on). Is the general motivation of mainstream politicians a compassionate concern and appreciation of human beings or does it follow from other negative motivations such as greed and a desire for power? The video certainly suggests the latter and if so we shouldn't expect policies aside from foreign policy to have a different motivation and consequent structure. Clearly policy can't be explicit and all out in this sense but it will definitely play a substantial and/or hidden role within it where it can be gotten away with.

edit: I just want to note how meaningful I would personally find it if somebody actually manages to watch the video and comment an opinion about it. I struggle to understand why anybody would not find this a very essential kind of information.

Edited by Ben Rowlands

I don't really have that much opinion on the election, but the policy to repeal the awful Digital Economy Act is why I'll be voting Lib Dem. Plus it would be nice to see some real political change, and this is clearly the best opportunity to get it that we've had as long as I can remember.

If you want to learn more about the digital economy act, this is worth reading IMHO:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/apr/16/digital-economy-act-cory-doctorow

The day when nations of people stood up and be counted against the war on Afghanistan, and Iraq, and failed, was the day we woke up and finally realized that there was nothing we could as a nation do against those we elect into power. So it doesn't matter how informed we are as a nation about past and present scandals, corruption, loopholes, and propaganda within the political/governmental system to help us make an informed choice, you have to ask yourself, are we really making a contributing difference about the choices we make, or are we just a nation of participant puppets behind a choice that has already been made.

Life is hectic enough without being bombarded with information about this that and the other, not everybody cares to know about the bigger picture.

The day when nations of people stood up and be counted against the war on Afghanistan, and Iraq, and failed, was the day we woke up and finally realized that there was nothing we could as a nation do against those we elect into power. So it doesn't matter how informed we are as a nation about past and present scandals, corruption, loopholes, and propaganda within the political/governmental system to help us make an informed choice, you have to ask yourself, are we really making a contributing difference about the choices we make, or are we just a nation of participant puppets behind a choice that has already been made.

Life is hectic enough without being bombarded with information about this that and the other, not everybody cares to know about the bigger picture.

Well, I can see why you might resign yourself to that view but that idea that we can do nothing, I am very confident, is an incorrect one. The history of positive change is frequently based on popular movement against powerful elites that want to maintain a status quo. The issue that blocks change at present is a lack of effort and organisation of people to make change through various forms of activism. Mostly we would prefer to ignore unpleasant information and distract ourselves with minor pleasurable activities. Ultimately, as a population, we are an almost absolute majority over politicians and big business elites and in that sense we hold the most power. Millions of people flooding the streets of London in protest would be very scary for any politician or elite. An important factor that inhibits this process is a general ignorance of what is actually going on behind the obvious fraudulence of mainstream political discourse. Having the right information is the first step, organisation and action follow that.

That we do hold that ultimate power is evidenced by the fact that politicians and big business HAS to lie about what the situation is, knowing full well that their activities would not be possible if most of us knew what was being done to us and others. If we lacked the power to change the situation then the activities of politicians and big business could be completely in the open - explicit in the mainstream rather than requiring alternative sources of media.

Just remember that resigning yourself to the idea that you can do nothing is exactly the attitude that is wanted by those in power. In fact, it plays a part of their propoganda in the way that all alternative options to mainstream politics are held as not possible, crazy, etc. In so much as we all believe that positive change is not possible then it won't happen. The moment we realise differently it becomes possible.

Normally I try to hold this opinion to myself but I'm having one of my more frustrated days. I mostly feel that our culture and most other western cultures, in general, are quite insane. It's like we've discovered a lump, which is in actual fact a tumour, but we won't go to the doctor because we don't want to face upto to the reality of it and the process of getting rid of it despite the fact it'll kill us if we don't. But as long as we can distract ourselves with making money and status, and owning this or that, doing a sport, etc., etc. we can just about forget that tumour, almost as though it changes the fact of its existence. Distracting yourself from it won't stop it harming you though.

You have my respect though Rusevelt for actually taking the time to find out something that was potentially new to you and to form a view on it, even if I disagree with that view (Y)

• Like 1

I've never bothered about politics at all just cos I dislike every politician I've ever had the displeasure of meeting and think that whatever policies are said to win elections etc never truly happen and they're all as bad as each other. Not to mention I doubt my views and what I hold important is really gonna help this world.

This year though I do feel a bit bad seeing all my mates getting involved haha, is..this...maturity? :( Ah well it's too late to get to grips with shit now I'll leave it till next year haha.

I've never bothered about politics at all just cos I dislike every politician I've ever had the displeasure of meeting and think that whatever policies are said to win elections etc never truly happen and they're all as bad as each other. Not to mention I doubt my views and what I hold important is really gonna help this world.

This year though I do feel a bit bad seeing all my mates getting involved haha, is..this...maturity? :( Ah well it's too late to get to grips with shit now I'll leave it till next year haha.

Any movement or influence for change requires individuals otherwise it can't exist/work. I pretty much despise politics because it actually affects my mental health. Reading about how western governments and big business are screwing the rest of the world over is not much fun. Being informed though is fairly essential if you want change because you care about what happens to the world. That's always the motivator for me although it's not fool proof and I'm often very selfish. The question is, how much do you want to make your life about being selfish and how much about contributing to the well-being of others? Sorry to be blunt but the question does also apply to me, so I'm not saying it with some self perception of greatness. I'm nowhere near where I want to be in terms of contributing. It's not an easy process though when mostly people are very apathetic.

It sounds like you do care though (Y) Use it :)

In direct response to Ben's most recent post. Try telling that to people in certain parts of China, who live in fear when it comes to speaking about rights, fairness, choice..........chances are, you'll be in prison or dead. Don't get me wrong ben, i really do wanna see change in our government, i just won't live long enough to see it happen, though i would be pretty chuffed to be proven wrong because i like surprises.

Edited by Rusevelt

In direct response to Ben's most recent post. Try telling that to people in certain parts of China, who live in fear when it comes to speaking about rights, fairness, choice..........chances are, you'll be in prison or dead. Don't get me wrong ben, i really do wanna see change in our government, i just won't live long enough to see it happen, though i would be pretty chuffed to be proven wrong because i like surprises.

The thing is, I'm not saying it to those people. My statements are basically with regards to the UK although they are equally applicable to other Western countries. Here we are in a situation where we do have freedom of speech, demonstration, activism, etc.

Unfortunately, your attitude is self fulfilling and it's a real shame. You find it unlikely so you aren't interested in trying, thus, it doesn't happen. Many people share your view and this leads to an obvious consequence. This seems like an unfortunate blind spot about the potential that exists. You words seem to suggest as well that any change that could happen, would happen with you being the passive recipient. You talk of it happening to you, rather than you making it happen.

Literally, if we organised, it could happen within a matter of days. The struggle is not in finding the power, it's with realising that we already have it.

The problem with me and thousands of others, is that i was an optimist in my youth, and now im a realist in my middle age. But hey, we can all but hope for the greater good to come (Y) im hoping its gonna be sunny tomorrow and not rain as predicted.