General Election 06/06/2010

Rusevelt

No-one has really said how they'll make life easier for me, so I'm not bothered who gets in. Conservatives will anyway I reckon.

EDIT: I got a -6 on Conservative on that test, and -10 Labour, so therefore, I can't be arsed voting. No-one else is within a chance anyway.

Edited by Muel

He may not genuinely know about anything about the BNP and what they really stand. And he probably missed that epic performance of BNP leader Nick Griffin, make an absolute fool of himself on national tv when he controversially appeared on BBC2 Question Time programme 22/10/2009.

He may not genuinely know about anything about the BNP and what they really stand. And he probably missed that epic performance of BNP leader Nick Griffin, make an absolute fool of himself on national tv when he controversially appeared on BBC2 Question Time programme 22/10/2009.

Are you an android? Your posts sound like they're copied and pasted from wikipedia or something half the time! :P

I would be very interested to know how many people here are voting Lib Dem "just because" and who are actually voting because they believe in Lib Dem policies. Afterall, liberal democrats were the forerunners to Labour/Newlabour etc. Their natural enemy therefore is Conservatives.

I don't want to sound like I'm personally attacking anyone's reasoning here..however during my time as a student and even now it has seemed to be the "in" "cool" "different" thing to say you are going to be voting Lib Dem. I really noticed this when I was at university and some of my friends would always go on about voting for the 3rd option because the other 2 are all the same and the whole "britain sticks by the underdog" who is always going to be the Lib Dems. I don't want to generalise but even on this forum you can see a wave of Lib Dem voters who have the same attitude, a couple of die hard voters sure, but in my opinion it is far easier for the Lib Dems to sit back and say "yea but labour/conservatives have f**ked up every time they have been in" without actually having anything substantial they can claim they have done themselves.

Lib Dems have always come off as being the fence sitters, the party that people vote for because there aren't many other alternatives (or people are bitter towards the other 2 main parties) and a party that only has to sit back and take shots at the other 2 MAIN parties to score brownie points with voters. I didn't watch the debate, I did however look at the front pages of 6 newspapers at the petrol station before I went in to pay. Newspapers are typically swayed to a political side, however to be honest bar the Mirror (which seemed to think labour had trounced everyone in the debate?!) every paper did say good performance by Lib Dem with a close second to Conservatives. After having some motorway driving to think and hearing a bit of radio chatter regarding the debate, did Lib Dems actually put out a plan? How will they be putting their balls on the chopping board to ensure that the country comes out of the recession better off?

It all just seems like there is no concrete proof behind any of the thinking behind Lib Dem chat and I have to say, the media arent making it any easier and I really dont think a "who should I vote for" site will give you any real indication. All in all I can say, why vote lib dem? if I wanted to take a more realistic standpoint on that comment: If you vote Lib Dem and we end up with a "hung government", which polls have shown is 100% possible. Then what do you think the consequences are? As I stated earlier Lib Dem are swayed towards labour due to having the natural conservative enemy. So chances are a Labour side will get in, However much worse than this is Britain is an Island, we rely heavily on European contact. A hung government does nothing for our credibility especially when working within UN. If a country can not pick WHO they want to run it, then what does that say to every other country who is going to be influenced by our actions? "They cant even decide on their own policies so why should we have to listen to them?" .. I think the situation is a lot worse than people realise and like I said I dont want to knock anyone back for voting Lib Dem, I'd just like to understand if they know their entire reasonings behind it.

Edited by munkee

The thing is, I think the vast quantity of conservative and labour voters are equally as ignorant of the respective party policies in any comprehensive sense. Voting choice is typically dependent on fashion/following the group you perceive yourself to be a part of, finding appealing a single or few minor, emotive and selfish policies or a superficial interest in a party through liking the personality of its leader. This type of motivation and understanding really lacks a good foundation for healthy and sane political choice and it's a great shame.

We lack the motivation to properly understand politics, and the media system which should make it more accesible is massively biased. The range of important information we are exposed to is narrow, supporting the political status quo within which the media system is enmeshed. It seems to me that our democracy is only a potential at present. It's fulfilment will follow only and if we achieve a properly informed, motivated and interested voting population.

The democracy potential of our country exists on the back of great conflict and suffering. We all take for granted our freedom and relatively easy living in many senses but none of it is guaranteed. We're especially prone to this when ignorant and apathetic.

Edited by Ben Rowlands

The problem isn't politics or policy, its the people behind the politics.

I'm not sure how they are seprable, except in the sense of politicians going against their stated public policy. I'm also wary of the idea of reducing our political problems simply to politicians or any one thing for that matter. No doubt they play a role but so do the population who effectively allows them to govern. We are all involved in the political process in the sense of being allowed to vote. How much we choose to learn about and act towards politics contributes to the political condition we find ourselves in - i.e. what type of people become the politicians that govern us. The media also relates to problems in the political process. They are supposed to be the source from which we gain important information that helps us choose how to vote but the mainstream media is a form of big business and as such has vested interests which leads to forms of censorship and bias . Altnernative forms of media with less bias or, at least, alternative viewpoints and information are available but most people aren't really aware or motivated to learn about them.

The situation is complex but it involves everyone, whether we are a politician, a voter, a non-voter, journalist, etc. although being that the population actually wields the greatest potential power and that good understanding is possible (regardless of difficulties getting it), those of us who are apathetic and ignorant may actually need to take the brunt of the blame.

Edited by Ben Rowlands

Just watched this morning lib dem press conference, i reckon that lib dem leader Nick Clegg, has done a secret deal with Flash Gordon in the event of a hung parliament which is looking more and more likely. He certainly looked anxious when answering questions about the banks, and David Cameron's political attack that lib dems are siding with labour.

So now its a two horse political party race with Lib-labour vs Tories :lol:

Just watched this morning lib dem press conference, i reckon that lib dem leader Nick Clegg, has done a secret deal with Flash Gordon in the event of a hung parliament which is looking more and more likely. He certainly looked anxious when answering questions about the banks, and David Cameron's political attack that lib dems are siding with labour.

So now its a two horse political party race with Lib-labour vs Tories :lol:

As I said earlier in the threard, Lib Dems were the natural enemy of the conservatives before the labour party came about. They will side against the conservatives regardless.

Another Lib Dem press conference scheduled around 07:30 :sleeping:

07:50 edit Nick Clegg, just basically talking about Political Reform and their Pupil Premium in helping lower class puplis in schools :sleeping: hardly worth the expense of tax payers money for another live press conference unless that money is coming from labour.

Edited by Rusevelt

I know this thread is getting stale, but last night's tv debate in Bristol was a real unrehearsed slagging match between the three party leaders on the issues on joining europe, immigration, and defense.

Regardless of what todays papers will say or the polls, i think Gordon Brown pipped it because overall, he was the most calm, composed, and less animated of the three and i think will go in his favor with mature, and elderly voters. Of course, most of us don't want to support him, but when you watch his performance, you just can't help feeling that Gordon Brown had the most self-assured pr when comes to speaking about policy.