Dslr Hd Video Vs Camcorder Hd Video

Rusevelt

There seems to be a growing new trend of todays DSLR cams being used to shoot HD video, i am just wondering out of curiousity if this because the convenience of having a do-it-all cam that shoots great pictures and records HD video, or are there significantly greater performance advantages of using DSLR video over HD camcorder video due to way better optics and lens?

Edited by Rusevelt

the DSLRs with video funciton seem to be so ridiculously priced. can someone point me in the direction of a reasonably priced one that has a decent video function too?

TRA's recent videos seem to be the pinnicle of media filming for trials just now. twinned with his decent riding its always going to be a good video. however i am with you...why is it the sudden trend?

They're not 'ridiculously priced' when you consider the price of buying a HD video camera with that kind of lens interchangeability (clip-on cheap shitty fisheyes don't count) and features, plus buying yourself a mid-range dSLR to boot? They're literally two-in-one, so you have to bear that in mind, really. There aren't really any cheaper ones simply because there aren't that many cheaper dSLRs, and certainly not ones that could handle video too.

The actual quality and control you have over how you film is miles better on a dSLR, but you do trade that off for sheer usability. You've got to be a lot more controlled with how you compose and film shots simply because you have to think of it more like taking a photo rather than just slamming a point-and-shoot videocamera in the way of a rider.

• Like 1

Digital SLR HD films are good but pretty over-rated to be honest, A guy on my course used one for his last film and yeah it looked good but everyone in his group that used it's reaction was generally a bit meh. The price of a decent SLR with Video is nothing compared to the price of a decent HD video camera though.

Edited by mr ailsbury

That's sort of what I was saying about usability though. You can't just pick one up and expect it to be as functional as a standard videocamera just because they take a lot more getting used to. A background in photography would probably help out too in that you're tweaking aperture, ISO and so on...

There are plenty of amazing videos around on Youtube and Vimeo that show how good they can be though. This is the first video Adam made with his 7D, and the quality and filming's pretty sweet throughout:

HD DSLRS will destroy the picture quality, low light shooting and lens choice of Video cameras many times the price - simples.

the trade off is useability, rolling shutter/filter issues, a lack of decent sound (but then again if you were serious with video you would probably record separately anyway)

Its simple really. The DSLR has a huge sensor so therefore it kicks ass at lower light (less noise/grain) and it allows shallow DOF which film makers like as it gives a more professional look. The quality from them is pretty immense and better than a camcorder of same price.

Camcorders though have fast autofocus though... and thats bout the only advantage

HD DSLRS will destroy the picture quality, low light shooting and lens choice of Video cameras many times the price - simples.

the trade off is useability, rolling shutter/filter issues, a lack of decent sound (but then again if you were serious with video you would probably record separately anyway)

True - having said that, Adam's 7D seems to have pretty reasonable sound on it compared to a lot of other video dSLRs I've seen footage from.

Funny this thread pops up today, just seen a JVC Everio HD camcorder reduced from £499 to £200 in currys so picked one up. I was very tied up between DSLR body and camcorder and for what i'm using it for (holiday vids, family things, riding videos uploaded to the web) I couldn't really justify spending in excess of £1000 on a camera body just so riding vids look a bit nicer. I'm still needing an SD card before i can use full HD on it as my current ones are too slow so i'll have to update with how good the image is from a budget pick me up and press go jobby as soon as play.com have it posted to me.

• Like 1

you can spend waaaaaaaay less than 1000 and get the same basic video performance as a 7d... with kit 18-55 lens (which is pretty shite)

My old 18-55mm was pretty awesome to be fair sharp and good CA, just abit of distortion at wide end. The advantages speak for themself. look at TRAs video, you cannot get that DOF for anywhere near the price of a 7d (or new 550d) and when light levels get low the DSLR leaves a digital video camera for dust

My old 18-55mm was pretty awesome to be fair sharp and good CA, just abit of distortion at wide end. The advantages speak for themself. look at TRAs video, you cannot get that DOF for anywhere near the price of a 7d (or new 550d) and when light levels get low the DSLR leaves a digital video camera for dust

yeah, Ive not really tested mine out but the focus is pretty nasty to use manually (and noisy too!!) same with the zoom, and its pretty slow too. I cant really comment on picture quality yet as I havent taken many on it !!

I think for video its use is limited but for an extra 30-40 quid over the body only - its definitely worth going for still (especially as I have no other lenses to use atm)

Its a weird situation right now in the camera world, at the moment it makes pretty much zero sense to be buying a video camera unless you are the kind of person who will never ever edit the footage recorded - just play it straight off the camera onto a telly. DSLR is killing it right now - but does have some serious limitations. I cant see camcorder manufacturers putting massive sensors in and interchangeable lens options anytime in the near future at the same price as current DSLRs - all I can see is the tech in DSLR getting better and better, and more useable while consumer camcorders stay pretty much static. How long before a 5dmkX with proper filtering/sampling and true autofocussing for video ?

Would love to see playback footage of how DSLR handles all types of extremely low light video without the use of additional lighting ie; static images, moving images, the ambience of space and depth.

Edited by Rusevelt

Clip uploading, will edit when done...

Edit: ready shortly:

Pretty good considering it was 100% dark at this point, only light is that one orange street light. Could have made it a bit less grainy and lighter by changing the frame rate to 30 as well.