Riding Bmx And Trials At The Same Time

bikeperson45

After spending a few hours at my local skatepark and riding my friends BMX I'm getting pretty tempted to buy and cheap one and see how I get on. But I found it hard not to loop out when bunnyhopping and manuals since I've become used to lifting hard and found it hard to get the balance. Is this something I'd get used to so I'd be able to change bikes easily?

If anyone else rides both how do you get on with them?

Thanks

I found it far easier to swap between the trials bike and BMX than between my 20" trials and 24" trials. Because the styles of riding, geometry and feel of the bikes are so different it's much easier to differentiate. It will take you a little time to get used to each when you go out but only 20 minutes or so if that.

'cos I rode my trials bike for 6 years before riding BMX, it seemed like it kinda reverted my default bike riding setting to trials. It just meant that even though I basically only rode BMX for 3 years, if I rode a trials bike it took me about half an hour to get used to my own bike again. I found it quite hard swapping between them just because I only really rode street so it was just bunnyhops, manuals and stuff like that. I think if you were riding street on your trials bike and park on a BMX the change would be easier because it's sort of using different skills almost, whereas by doing two relatively similar sides of two types of riding it kinda throws you a bit more. I haven't really tried going from my Echo 24 to my BMX and back yet, but I'm hoping it shouldn't be too bad 'cos they both feel very similar due to my setup on each.

I find the "common tricks" the hardest, i.e. to manual my BMX I just lean back into it more relaxed legs etc, where to manual my lynx you have to pull up a lot harder and manual with a lot straighter leg positioning, also for tricks like 180's on my lynx I have to heave the bike around in a "american hop" style, where I can efortlessly flick with bike arround on my WTP.

But I dont find it too difficult switching in between the 2

its great fun. go out for a blast on bmx, session trials when you feel the need.

its completely different in the way that you dig a jump back 3 foot instead of getting 1" on a sidehop, really see the difference.

the trouble with its just such high speeds which are hard to get used to with a trials background, but alot of fun when you get fast enough.

my advice is do it. its great fun, but you might end up taking a couple summers off trials...

Used to ride bmx for several years, then I quit. Now I ride stock and when I try to ride my old bmx bike now I feel like I can't even do a simple bunnyhop anymore... so I think switching back and forth between trials and bmx is very challenging.

i find it easy but i guess the best way for you to find out is to go out with you mate for a while and ride for a bit on your trials bike then hop on his bmx and see how you get on and then get back onto your trials bike, if you find it hard to adaped you might be able to change the set up on one of your bikes or boh by changing the bar height like lower the bars on your bmx a bit and raise them a little on you trials bike so then they wont be as different and as hard to get straight onto and ride like you didnt get off it. i dj bike, 24" trials and bmx and i can hop onto my dj then straight onto my bmx or trials bike, i spose you get use to it after a while. Hope i helped.

chris

Thanks for replys. I think I'm going to wait a bit and see if I can get a really cheap £30 second hand BMX and see how I get on with the both of them.

If you're spending that little on a BMX, there's not really much point in 'seeing if you get on with them'. It's exactly the same as a trials bike - would you be happy riding a £30 trials bike? Cheap almost always means bad, so you're not really going to get a good idea of what it'd really be like.

If you're spending that little on a BMX, there's not really much point in 'seeing if you get on with them'. It's exactly the same as a trials bike - would you be happy riding a £30 trials bike? Cheap almost always means bad, so you're not really going to get a good idea of what it'd really be like.

you, I suppose what I mean is just a good deal on a decent second hand one. If it's only £30 the better for me :P