Echo Tr Pads

mods

My friend bought a new wheel yesterday. The neon full build front from tarty, he also bought a set of TR pads to go on the front as he hates the screech of stoping with a front grind!

To the shock of us both he literally road down the road put the brake on and the pads melted leaving hard rubber all over his new rim, making it unusable as any other pad will now stick to the melted brake pad (we did try) and of course rinsing the pads to an unusable state.

He is going to ring tarty tomorrow and explain.

That aside i think this is pretty bad. Anyone else had any problems with these?

Maybe the fact the rim is white had something to do with it?

08062010034.jpg

08062010036.jpg

08062010039.jpg

Sorry about the poor photo but its dark eh.

Edited by mods

About as fast as a run. So probably 12 /15 mph. The compound seemed very sticky. Not right to me. Pads are normally very hard to the touch.

Nothing was on the rim. It was brand new

I'm sure the lads at tarty bikes will understand, he is going to ring them tomorrow. It might be worth them stating they cannot be used on fluro rims?

I can't really see how the colour will make a difference, the finishing yes, but not because it's white. Even then, i've not seen a pad do this before aside from when i pressed it onto a spinning metal disc. Like JT said, if he was travelling at a good speed then jammed the front brake on as hard as he could i'm not surprised really. It's not ideal, but at the same time stopping at high speed might not have been what these trials specific pads were designed for.

Maybe your friend should think about getting a front disc?

I can't really see how the colour will make a difference, the finishing yes, but not because it's white. Even then, i've not seen a pad do this before aside from when i pressed it onto a spinning metal disc. Like JT said, if he was travelling at a good speed then jammed the front brake on as hard as he could i'm not surprised really. It's not ideal, but at the same time stopping at high speed might not have been what these trials specific pads were designed for.

Maybe your friend should think about getting a front disc?

I meant the flouro finnish.

He wasn't travelling at a high speed. Even if he was they should not do that the very moment you used them. He said they feel like they stick before we rode off. Then went down the hill and they were like that at the bottom. He hadnt even dragged his brake because i could hear him using his back one. He they felt odd then we looked and they were like this.

We've entirely sold out of these pads, which means there are quite a few out there being used. This is the first pair I've seen have this happen to them, so I wouldn't necessarily say that all the new pads are 'crap' in that out of a lot of pairs that have been sold only one have had an issue.

To the shock of us both he literally road down the road put the brake on and the pads melted leaving hard rubber all over his new rim

Well isn't that to be expected? The last thing you want to do with a trials bike is apply continuous braking force while riding fast. I gave these pads a try on a customers bike the other day and was amazed at their performance. They literally stuck to the rim as if it was coated with tar.

So, I wouldn't blame the pads. Your friend ruined them by heating the brakes up. These pads aren't designed to stop you from speed.

I meant the flouro finnish.

He wasn't travelling at a high speed. Even if he was they should not do that the very moment you used them. He said they feel like they stick before we rode off. Then went down the hill and they were like that at the bottom. He hadnt even dragged his brake because i could hear him using his back one. He they felt odd then we looked and they were like this.

There's some right old inconsistencies there. You say the very moment he used them yet at the same time you say you travelled down a hill. Then he didn't use them because you could 'hear' him using the back one. Why couldn't he have used both brakes at the same time and dragged them down the hill?

Why do you think downhill bikes use discs?

I mean, look at the edge of the pad. The material is melted and has dried in a sort of drip along the side of the pad surface. That's a lot of heat!

Well isn't that to be expected? The last thing you want to do with a trials bike is apply continuous braking force while riding fast. I gave these pads a try on a customers bike the other day and was amazed at their performance. They literally stuck to the rim as if it was coated with tar.

So, I wouldn't blame the pads. Your friend ruined them by heating the brakes up. These pads aren't designed to stop you from speed.

Well not really i would like to think they last longer than going down one hill. He wasn't even going very fast.

As for sticking to the rim like tar.. This was the problem, after he put them on he pulled the brake and the pistons didnt even return as the pads stuck onto the the rim.

This i know for sure is not right.

There's some right old inconsistencies there. You say the very moment he used them yet at the same time you say you travelled down a hill. Then he didn't use them because you could 'hear' him using the back one. Why couldn't he have used both brakes at the same time and dragged them down the hill?

Why do you think downhill bikes use discs?

I mean, look at the edge of the pad. The material is melted and has dried in a sort of drip along the side of the pad surface. That's a lot of heat!

Yea..he the moment he had used them. Then we looked at the bottom of the slope.

I asked if he had used the front brake all the way down and he said no.

Granted they were not set up perfect. It was the best he could do with what he has.

I'd say the melting temperature is extremely low in these pads. They didnt melt due to going down a hill for 15 mins at 40mph with the brake on.

Some of you have some fair points. I cant belive you are trying to defend these pads. They are surely not ment to do that going down a small hill for about 10 seconds.

Thats like saying you can only feather your brake going to front wheel a hand full of times before the pads are shot.

Well not really i would like to think they last longer than going down one hill. He wasn't even going very fast.

As for sticking to the rim like tar.. This was the problem, after he put them on he pulled the brake and the pistons didnt even return as the pads stuck onto the the rim.

This i know for sure is not right.

Two things - a grippy compount will stick to the rim. It's true that the Echo pads stick rather more than other ones but that's not a bad thing. It's bound to wear off when the pads bed in anyway.

As for "i would like to think they last longer than going down one hill" - these pads (and generally trials pads) are not desgined for going down hills, even small ones. 10 second braking is a lot. I'm surprised that the pads didn't wear down right to the backings during that period of time. I doubt anyone in here is defending the pads, they're just pointing out that what your friend did has f**ked them. It'd have been the same case with most other trials pads.

What you're saying is similar to saying that you'd expect a road bike with those 18 spoke wheels to last at least one 6ft drop.

Edited by Greetings

Aye thats him.

So the general thing is that you cant use your brake to stop on a trials bike going down a hill? So why has no-one else had this problem then?

Also he has just told me that he did no feather the brake at all he simply pulled it to stop.. Are they meant to melt away when you do that as well?

Edited by mods

Aye thats him.

So the general thing is that you cant use your brake to stop on a trials bike going down a hill? So why has no-one else had this problem then?

Also he has just told me that he did no feather the brake at all he simply pulled it to stop.. Are they meant to melt away when you do that as well?

No need to get shirty sir, he was suggesting something.

Actually i take that back please dont validate me. ill just add it on here and im sure someone will be as helpful enough to copy it over with me.

So here goes.

First pull of the brake they stopped this was at almost not moving but they slipped at first then stuck to the rim, i had to pull them off. Next use was upon going down a hill no more then 30 meters long, just at the top i thought before i go faster i will try them, to which they did not stop me. So i try pulling a little harder now along with my back brake as i am on a hill and starting to gain speed even when trying to stop. Again this did nothing at all which is when i had to revert completly to the back brake which has a harsh grind on and jamming my foot on the tyre.

The pictures you see is the result, they were set up pretty good and as im sure you all know a hs 33 pad can move and does not stay ridgid straight so once it has dragged on the rim it will stay dragging like that.

Now this morning i spoke to tarty bikes and as usual were very helpful not asking for my money back or anything they had seen the thread and asked me to send them back. Which I am happy to do so for them to have a look for themselves he even apologized to me to which i replied that he had nothing to be sorry for! I understand a smooth rim pad is likley to be sticky but not to stop you in the first place thats a bit of an issue. I also understand that they will not be very good in feathering down a hill situation and agree that a disc would be much better in this situation.

I hope this clears some things up for you I very much respect every one has their own opinions and decisions on everything. The attitude that the thread has taken I find a little odd as at no point I have said these pads are shit im more curious to know if its a defect or that it was purley bad luck/ignorance. So no need for any claws!

Thanks

Jamie

Thats what actually happened for those interested.

No need to get shirty sir, he was suggesting something.

That's hardly getting shirty? Merely questioning peoples response with some pretty genuine questions?

to be honest dude it does sound like in this case your friend had a dodgy set of pads. If you have described what happened correctly then in my eyes there is no way they should melt like that from some gentle dragging.

On the other hand, it is very easy to disintegrate pads but it usually takes a very steep descent and some hard braking!

Perhaps they have had this problem. I did and learned my lesson, accepting that it was my fault and not going off blaming the pads on a forum. Now I just don't brake when going downhill or if I do need to slow down, I lock and release the rear wheel quickly. When the hills are too long or too steep, I walk down. Prolonged braking will not only damage the pads but also wear down a grind. It's just a waste of both pads and rims.

Perhaps there is something wrong with these pads, perhaps they shouldn't have worn that much but the fact of the matter is that massive wear is not unusual in such circumstances.

Edited by Greetings

I've gone like a bazzilion miles an hour on my bike before downhill and had to brake sharpish and my pads haven't been affected at all..

I think it just depends on the compund of the pad, clearly these are of the soft type!