Citreon Saxo

Ashes

Hi all ..... I hope this is ok to post in the chit chat thread of the forum.

As I am nearly 17 im about to buy myelf a car, I want to know about citroen saxo's are they good/bad. Would any of you recomend them or have any of you guys ever had one thank you.

Ashes.

For the record i am not anything near a chav :L ...... secondly why did you hate it so much. ?

Thanks

Ashes.

did I say you were?

it was just god awful to drive, the clutch was a bag of piss and the steering just didn't really feel like it was connected to the road, It was more like driving a cloud than a car

For the record i am not anything near a chav :L ...... secondly why did you hate it so much. ?

Thanks

Ashes.

He wasn't saying you're a chav, he' saying its a fact that lots of young drivers like to use them. Young drivers = higher risk which = higher insurance.

Have some photos of why you dont get one some where. But they arent the best cars out there. Shit handling on them.

Here's why.

The boot was in the bacl seat. That was only doing about 50.

I'm not defending the strength of saxo's in a crash, they are been tins. But 'only 50' is a pretty savage impact. Euro NCAP tests are conducted at 40 and some of the results are pretty savage. It just depends what you hit.

Like others have said, they're not the greatest things, but for a first car they'd be fine as long as the price and condition's rite. If you're just interested in cars as transport, and one comes up for a decent price, and looks solid and a good buy, go for it.

If you're more interested in cars, and want something to fiddle with, I wouldn't bother with them. They're fun and very upgradable in VTR and VTS form, but starting with anything you can insure as a first car will will be false economy. If you want to do up a saxo, wait till you can insure a decent model, and just get a run around for the time being.

If you want a fun car from the start, get something old. There really is something more fun about older cars. Be prepared to need to work on it from time to time, but this doesn't mean they aren't reliable, just that they need a little more regular maintenance.

If you're looking for a reliable but cheap car, you might consider something like a Honda Logo.

1998_Honda_Logo_01.jpg

One trick to getting cheap insurance is to pick a car few young people drive, that isn't powerful. This is a perfect example.

Of course, you might value how cool you look more than money, so in that case, don't do this.

For the record, my first car that I actually drove, was a 1994 clio 1.4, but I had the bonus of being 20.

edit: sorry about the massive picture :( I can't find a smaller one.

Edited by Revolver

I used to own a 106 and i loved it, never let me down and it was quite nippy (1.6). I know their basically the same as a Saxo but I'd rather have a 106. Kind of like choosing between Zoo and Echo really. If you do get a Saxo just service it properly and don't drive like a dick, that go's for any car really. Yeah the roof may cave in if you roll it at 90mph but i'm sure that will happen to any car ?

Rather than a saxo I'd check out fiat puntos. Puntos are fairly decent first cars... Fairly anyway. If you can find one that's been serviced well it will be a good starter car. Just got to be aware of the dreaded head gasket problem that happens with the 1.2 8v often. The good thing about that engine is that it uses the FIRE engine which means if the cambelt snaps, the internals won't be damaged like your valves won't be bent and that. Very economical too if again serviced well.

They don't handle well though however when rolled they're fairly sturdy in comparison to a saxo where the roof caves in!

Have some photos of why you dont get one some where. But they arent the best cars out there. Shit handling on them.

Here's why.

The boot was in the bacl seat. That was only doing about 50.

I'd say that stood up reasonably well. At 50 there's a massive amount of energy involved and cars are designed to absorb that energy as well as possible- making the cars look like they disintegrated. I'd rather be in a Saxo having an accident at 50 than a Smart car...

Somebody I know rolled a saxo at like 90. The roof was pretty much touching the top of the head rests.

Wow, really? Man that thing must be so weak and poorly made. I sure wouldn't ever buy one because of that.[/sarcasm]

I'd say that stood up reasonably well. At 50 there's a massive amount of energy involved and cars are designed to absorb that energy as well as possible- makingthe cars look like they disintegrated. I'd rather be in a Saxo having an accident at 50 than a Smart car...

Just to clear it up i was doing 50 when it started to slide. I hit a small tree and a fence which spun me round and then went backwords into the tree. So i would of slowed down by the time the main impacted happened.