Citreon Saxo

Ashes

I'd look at what you can afford with your budget rather than limiting your choices with manufactures.

This man speaketh the truth. You need to sort out what you can afford to buy and run (including how much you can afford for insurance as that's likely to be the biggest outlay at your age), then start looking .

Buy a volvo.

My dad was in the back of a laguna in a crash which began at ~65 mph. After they came to rest the roof had crushed the front headrests and was touching the main body of the seat, yet the car had got no shorter or deformed other then the obvious head room deficeincy. all three people walked away (well my dad was on a spinal board but fine apart from sprains and bruising)

Does it really matter? ^

No, which is why I never said anything till now. I understand it's not a big thing and I'm nitpicking, and it's up to him whether he does it or not, but if people don't know that it's irritating to some people then they can't make an informed decision on whether to do it.

It's like people calling me out on being a nitpicking, annoying arsehole. I take that information on board then ignore it.

No, which is why I never said anything till now. I understand it's not a big thing and I'm nitpicking, and it's up to him whether he does it or not, but if people don't know that it's irritating to some people then they can't make an informed decision on whether to do it.

It's like people calling me out on being a nitpicking, annoying arsehole. I take that information on board then ignore it.

You moaning old git :giggle:

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Anzo.

Whoever said they dont handle is lying, they handle amazingly well with the right tires and shocks. Thats about where the good points end. They are terrible to drive pedals are too close and the build quality is shocking.

Look for something else would be my advise.

As for insurance everything will be expensive at 17.

The trouble is the ones that handle well are the higher models, with the associated higher insurance. The base models handle like a boat.

Like others have said, for a first car I wouldn't worry much about looking for any particular model. You'll probably only keep it 2 years at the most, anything can be ok for that length of time if it's good condition when you buy it.

If you do have your heart set on a specific make and model, then you'll have to spend longer looking, and probably start looking less locally so as to make sure you get a good one. I'd recommend a polo (6n) personally, they're reliable, comfy, economical, have a nice driving position, can be made to go and handle really well if you want, look respectable, parts are reasonable and they're tough in a crash. Very much the same case with the 1.4 golfs if you want something a little bigger.

Had a 1.1 SX for about 3 years whilst at uni - good simple motoring. Only 2 star NCAP last time I looked. Head gasket went on the front offside (left as you llok at the engine) - very common on Saxo's/106s with TU series engines (funny that 205's with the same series engine didn't suffer so much) got it fixed and sold it on.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dig this back up but a colleague at work is trying to insure his 17 year old son on a 1.1 Saxo and the cheapest quote he can get is £3200... is that seriously the going rate these days?!

Ha, yeah. I got quoted £5609.70 on a 1997 206, ah lol. £2267.51 on a Figaro, eeeeehe. Silly money.

[/womendriversareshit]