Been Offered This.....

Jimbob 2705

Hi Guys,

I have just seen this bike for sale. It doesn't have much information about it, but I can go and see it. It is at an auction.

It is a Scott Nitrous. What are the general views on this bike?

I have included a picture of it.

Can anybody tell me the model and the year?

When I go too see it is there anything I should look for?

Finally, what do these tend to go for?

Thanks

post-25927-086742200 1286206152_thumb.jp

It's kind of hard to tell from that picture, but it's definitely not amazing. You could probably find the exact spec by looking on Scott's website archive (assuming they have one) but I doubt it ever cost more than about £800 new. I'm sure it'll do the job OK though, and for that reason I'd say it's got to be worth around £350 ish?

From the looks of things, it looks like it's gonna need a lot of work too in terms of making it worthy of some dh (no cheap triple chainset) and also some servicing. Forks look like they've worn away, might just be the anodising but could be corrosion or bad wear... Chain looks pretty ropey and yeah i would expect other bits to be up with it. Tread carefully i'd say.

It looks pretty f**ked - I'd avoid it myself!

That is unhelpful, and you can't tell how 'f**ked' it is from the photo. People on the internet are idiots.

I'd suggest going to have a look at the bike in person, and make sure you check the general cosmetic condition, have a look at all the bearings, and make sure there isn't any play in the suspension or bushings. If everything is pretty sound, you can look on eBay or Southern Downhill to see what equivalent bikes are going for at the moment.

It is worth keeping in mind that this is as basic as bikes like this get, and in the long run you'll probably end up spending a fair bit on replacing and upgrading parts, so it might be worth just hanging on for a higher spec bike to come up and spending a bit more initially.

Edited by NVWOCI WVS

Who said I was trying to help?

The seat looks totally f**ked, which usually suggests it's been abused (I've never, ever, managed to shred a seat without binning my bike pretty hard). As Pants said, the forks are worn down which is a pretty good indicator that they're either old or have had a lot of use, therefore will probably need restoring or binning if they're cheaper ones. Other than the frame, the components look very used or cheap, therefore I personally would avoid it.

That is my opinion, so there's no need to be rude about it. "Idiot".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought a pair of them for my trials bike just after they were released at Bike99!

haha, me too. I think 75% of people at bike99 could be seen walking around with a pair of those over their shoulder.

(edit, it was a shame that they were nothing short of dangerous on wet tarmac)

Being massive and £20 a pair, you couldn't refuse! Even if you had to cut the side knobbles off to fit them through your frame...

That's what all the trendy DH people are doing these days (albeit for different reasons).

EDIT: And certainly not to Tiogas

haha, me too. I think 75% of people at bike99 could be seen walking around with a pair of those over their shoulder.

(edit, it was a shame that they were nothing short of dangerous on wet tarmac)

I still have the scar from the chunk of missing flesh on my knee from going round a wet tarmac corner with these.

Thirded for losing the front end in the rain on a roundabout. Lucky it was a quiet day, usually that road is very busy!

• 3 months later...

Avoid!

These Frames a suppceptable to cracking where the seat cluster is welded onto the frame.Scott incorperated the design into the DH version at the time but used a "detachable" carbon peice that the seat tube went into.This was to brings costs down (peice of the frames cheaper and easier to deal with than a whole frame).Unfortunately a massive fail as carbon at this time was still a bit feme and it would just crack.....all the time.

The design itself is pretty safe but requires looots of bearing changes.Its a single pivot design so all the forces are on one set of bearings.

Hope that helps.