Iphone 4

quick_spider

I've bitten the bullet and ordered an Iphone 4. I've always used Windows Mobile up until now so I'm not too clued up on apple stuff. Can anyone help with suggestions/advice?

Need a case to stop it getting scratched - any suggestions as there are a million different ones out there. Just want something to cover back/sides and I'll put a screen protector over the screen.

Jailbreaking? Not to clued up here, but what I really want to know is can it be reversed? I think I'll need to do it in order to (try and) import my SMS's from my HTC. Plan is to export them from Windows Mobile in XML format and merging them into an SQLite database which is the format used on the Iphone. Has anyone successfully ported their SMS's across to an iphone?

What Apps are worth getting. My boss says his 3GS doesn't even have an alarm clock, and that the one he's downloaded is unreliable.

Ta

I've bitten the bullet and ordered an Iphone 4. I've always used Windows Mobile up until now so I'm not too clued up on apple stuff. Can anyone help with suggestions/advice?

Need a case to stop it getting scratched - any suggestions as there are a million different ones out there. Just want something to cover back/sides and I'll put a screen protector over the screen.

Jailbreaking? Not to clued up here, but what I really want to know is can it be reversed? I think I'll need to do it in order to (try and) import my SMS's from my HTC. Plan is to export them from Windows Mobile in XML format and merging them into an SQLite database which is the format used on the Iphone. Has anyone successfully ported their SMS's across to an iphone?

What Apps are worth getting. My boss says his 3GS doesn't even have an alarm clock, and that the one he's downloaded is unreliable.

Ta

First things first, for a case just go with any silicone one as I find they tend to be the best and least bulky, as for the screen I've had my iphone 3g for over a year now and with a poorer quality screen I've not manged to scratch it even when it's been dropped outside and just generally thrown about.

Jailbreaking is easily reversed, just by restoring the phone with itunes and you can still back it up when it's jailbroken so no worries there. Not sure about the sms but I'd imagine it's definately possible, there must be a forum somewhere with instructions on it and there is definately an alarm clock, it's just in the standard clock function and works perfectly well with a snooze function as well!

Hope this helps you out a bit.

if you have just ordered it it may come shiped with the latest software upgrade in which case you can not jail break it "yet" if it doesnt come with it already uploaded dont upgrade as again you wont be able to jail break. When i got mine i just put my sim card in and clicked find contacts and it imported them all, so you may get lucky and the phone will do it all for you.

Apple were doing a free case program for people with the iPhone 4 you just download the app and choose your case. I got this bad boy second from top. Click here

I'm tempted to jailbreak mine just being a bit of a chicken about doing it. This is my first iPhone and I have to say its f**king amazing.

Apple were doing a free case program for people with the iPhone 4 you just download the app and choose your case. I got this bad boy second from top. Click here

I'm tempted to jailbreak mine just being a bit of a chicken about doing it. This is my first iPhone and I have to say its f**king amazing.

They stopped the free case thing a little while ago now, which is a shame for new owners. I'd recommend the 'stock' bumper case they were giving away though - I've heard reports that some other cases can actually put the structure of the phone as risk and crack the front or back glass over time.

Jailbreaking wise, I was the same and I went ahead and did it. No problems just yet, and all of the illegal software I haven't downloaded and installed works perfectly.

Go on www.jailbreakme.com on your iPhone, follow the simple on-screen instructions, about 2 minutes (on Wi-Fi) later, hey presto, jailbroken iPhone.

My Touch on 4.1 (or 4.2, can't actually remember) works great, no problems, of course to get free apps you're going to need to add repos etc. most of the time, and there's been issues with some IPAs not working, but there's generally a selection, so it doesn't matter much.

} Or so I've been told.

shifty.gif

And as far as I know, there's no way Apple can trace it if your iPhone's been previously jailbroken, and to go back to normal, (or "un-jailbreak" it) it's as simple as resetting your iPod to factory settings. Winner.

I got my silicone case from Carphone Warehouse, similar to the Apple design but this one I got is better IMO. Because on the back it comes with a plastic screen so it protects the back and the camera lens I find. As looking at mine the's a fair few scratches on the plastic.

The iPhone 4 does come with a clock with a alarm setting.

Sorry to take over your topic a bit but you all seem to know about the new iphones so I have a question. Apparently the iPhone 4 they have stopped making for pay as you go and you have to have a contract. So I was told I might be getting one for my christmas but not anymore because they only do them on contract now. Does jailbreaking it mean it allows it to take sim again?

Cheers.

You can buy an iphone direct from apple.

I don't see why you can't use a pay as you go sim in one, but you might not be able to get some of the extra features (eg free wifi, video voicemail etc...)

Thanks for the advice on the case/jailbreaking. Will see what software version is has when it arrives, so expect more questions!

Jon

Ive been a good boy and not bothered jailbreaking. to be honest I just cant see the point - It does everything I ever need without it...

also now alot of video sites are running HTML5 - like youtube - it makes no difference that it has no flash.

the best app by far (which isnt an app - its just a bookmark on the homescreen) is tvcatchup.

next its fstream - for all your bbc radio stream needs (6music win)

Ive been a good boy and not bothered jailbreaking. to be honest I just cant see the point - It does everything I ever need without it...

also now alot of video sites are running HTML5 - like youtube - it makes no difference that it has no flash.

the best app by far (which isnt an app - its just a bookmark on the homescreen) is tvcatchup.

next its fstream - for all your bbc radio stream needs (6music win)

TV catchup is impressive, but I've never actually found a use for it. If I'm at home (on Wifi), it's more comfortable to watch TV on something else.

My favourite app is also a radio app called TuneIn Radio. It's not just BBC radio streams (not sure if yours is?) and it's brilliantly integrated (uses iPod controls/remote control etc).

There are two things I use jailbreak for; one is Lockinfo which is brilliant little tool that puts your calendar/diary/new messages/weather onto the home screen. I use it mainly for the diary function, wouldn't want to live without it now. The other is a little program called HandyLight which Apple originally had as a free app in the app store. It's one of those flashlight apps but it has a twist - if you press the exact right combination of buttons it lets you tether your phone via wifi. As soon as Apple realised this they withdrew the app, and now you can only get it via jailbreak.

i think thw whole thing about them not being on pay as you go is because the iphone 4 take a micro simcard witch is obviously smaller than a normal one and you can probalbly only get the micro simcar on contract?

thats just what im presuming so dont take it as gosple lol.

i think thw whole thing about them not being on pay as you go is because the iphone 4 take a micro simcard witch is obviously smaller than a normal one and you can probalbly only get the micro simcar on contract?

thats just what im presuming so dont take it as gosple lol.

You can easily cut down a normal sized sim card to the micro size though, which is exactly what I did for the couple of days I was waiting for my micro sim to arrive.

I'm finally free from the evil clutches of the champions of muppetry that are Vodafone. Number ported across to Tesco Mobile yesterday (temporary measure until I decide between them, O2 and giffgaff)

Iphone is due to be shipped tomorrow and I'm working on extracting my SMS's from my WM device.

Expect a few more questions in a few days time!

Wifi tethering sounds good - does that mean it bridges a 3G connection to look like a Wifi Access point? I could do this on my WM phone and it was very useful.

I'd be interested it tethering the phone to my laptop, but rather than using the mobile internet account, I'd prefer to use the free wifi part as there are BT Openzone signals in my house at the moment. Any idea if that's possible?

You can pay for tethering (I think via USB cable) through the phone company. Alternatively there are jailbreak apps that allow you to bridge the 3g connection via wifi (phone essentially acts as a wireless router).

Does your laptop not have wifi?!