Dual Disc. - Is It Worth It?

Dan6061

I'm currently rebuilding my bike, as I broke most/all of it, so it's getting some love and attention, and too much money thrown at it!

I have a Neon Conqueror Mod frame, with a rear disc mount. Just gone through my second Profile shell - The ratchet is cracked around the edge and breaking free from the body! So that'll go bang soon. So I'm going front freewheel, with a rear disc hub for the option.

I know sod all about disc brakes, I've had a BB7 on the front for years now, and it's been amazing! But I've heard that they're not as good on the back?

I'd probably go for a set of Hopes or Avids if I did go rear disc, but I know nothing about them!

Problem is, I do like my loud brake. Current set up is an HS33, Phatpads, grind, no booster, Try-All clamps.

Wouldn't mind a quiet disc to be honest, as long as it's instantly grabby and holds well! - Are discs like this at all?

How much hassle are they? Is it really worth it? Will 160mm be enough?

Cheers. :)

I found my Mono Trial with the standard 160 Mono Trial rotor felt pretty sweet. Ads had a similar setup but with the Try-All rear rotor, and it seems that with the extra material you get less intial bite - so yeah, if you're trying to get a Magura-esque feel going for a rotor design similar to the standard Mono Trial would be best.

If you decide to go for it, it'll take a little getting used to. I ran LGMs on a medium sharp grind on mine with a Trialtech Sport booster and a long lever blade, and that was ridiculous. Going from a loud, bitey brake to a disc was a bit mental at first, but once you start getting confidence in the disc it's a lot nicer. When you're not having to tweak your TPA all the time, re-grind all the time and all that jazz it's pretty sweet :P The 'smooth' factor is also nice too. It just makes riding seem a lot smoother even if it isn't, and if you're doing some tech natural stuff then the extra hold you get is really handy. The boon-test up a slopey rock should cover that one for you, haha.

In terms of maintaining it and so on, you shouldn't really need to do much to it. If you spend a bit of time getting it set up well straight off the bat, and bed it in properly, you shouldn't need to do anything to it for quite a long time. The setup on mine was dialled and for the 2-3 months I ran it I didn't touch it at all (apart from putting my Tech lever on). It seems like all the issues people have with their's tend to come from fiddling with them and tweaking them when they don't really need to. If it ever 'goes shit', just use some water on the rotor and bed it in. It's best to be pretty careful you don't contaminate the discs, especially if you're putting your bike in and out of a car with other bikes in there too. Just don't coat it in shit and it'll be reet ;)

Sounds pretty promising. I'm fairly fussy with my lever pull, so i'm swaying towards Avid's just for that option. Seen the Avid Code's too, and they come in white which is nice, are they actually any good though? Or does Hope seem to be the most sensible option?

Cheers for the advice Mark, was hoping one of you Tarty lads would step in and help out with this!

Also, I have no idea if my frame has a +20 mount or not?

Heard (may not be true, but i heard from someone) that double cable disc isnt so good. Though £150 is alot to spend on a brake in my opinion.... Go for the hope if you can afford it, if not go for the bb7. Not sure if bb7's are the same as this but if your hope brake is set up at the tinyest angle and the tinyest bit out of place, it will be a massive fail.

EDIT: Also the person that told me that they heard dual cable disc is bad, later got one and it was epic, so wouldnt worry about that.

Edited by Kieran Morrison

Heard (may not be true, but i heard from someone) that double cable disc isnt so good. Though £150 is alot to spend on a brake in my opinion.... Go for the hope if you can afford it, if not go for the bb7. Not sure if bb7's are the same as this but if your hope brake is set up at the tinyest angle and the tinyest bit out of place, it will be a massive fail.

EDIT: Also the person that told me that they heard dual cable disc is bad, later got one and it was epic, so wouldnt worry about that.

Thought you were stopping all that " I heard from my friend who had a 3rd cousin who bought a dog of a guy...." stuff?

Had duel disk on my 24 inch. Loved it and never looked back. Once you get used to the no noise thing they're fantastic. Would recomend the duel Hope's.

I'm fairly fussy with my lever pull,

Ditto - that's why I went for the Tech lever. I was alright with the normal lever, but couldn't get it exactly how I wanted it. With the Tech lever, the bite point dial and the reach dial helped out a lot. I usually have mine set so the levers sit pretty close to the bar normally, then bite really fast, so it's usually tricky to get a brake set up right. It took a reasonable amount of fiddling with the two dials but got it sorted in the end :)

large_techtrial3.jpg

That shows the range of movement for the reach of the lever, and I used to have mine not too far off the minimum setting. Then tweaked the BPC dial until it felt just right (Y)

Literally just looked at the Tech lever before I read your post! Think i've got my heart set on them now.

When payday rolls around, and i've paid off my debts, i'll be making a massive order from you! Total is £744 at the moment, to complete my bike.

Ouch. :(

I agree with Mark, DD is THE way to go on a mod and those tech levers (once properly bled) are well worth the wonga.

Discs work so well with mod because of the tiny rear wheel, easily as bitey as a maggie, massive hold and nice and quiet, just dont touch them once set up and keep shit off them as said.

Fit these with tech levers and feel win all day long.

180 brake will have stronger braking performance but you will more likely bend it by falling on obstacles

Hmm.. It would be worth me going for 160 seen as though im not brill at riding, would this still be enough to stop me in all scenarios bearing i mind I wont be doing any massive stuff?

I tried doing it on the cheap with a BB7. Even coming from a relatively poor Magura - it just wasn't snappy enough. I ran it for maybe... a month? Was used on the front before-hand, so it was already bedded in, and it was a 203.

I hear that that's just BB7 on the rear for you... If you want decent results - go for Hope. Never had one on the back - but everyone I asked concurred.

Hmm.. It would be worth me going for 160 seen as though im not brill at riding, would this still be enough to stop me in all scenarios bearing i mind I wont be doing any massive stuff?

most of the mod riders have 160 rotors I think

even the top uci boys

so I guess the answer is yeah

The answer is quite clearly 20mm.

AMEN