The Gaming Thread......

James Quigley

Oblivion if you've never played it is incredible.

Diablo 3 is coming out soon. As is Planetside 2 which is very RPG/FPS like, it's an MMOFPS, you basically play a single soldier in a war. On the original, which is a fair few years old you could have around 250 v 250 v 250 battles over a base. Absolutely incredible, like nothing else you'll ever experience in an FPS.

Loved Oblivion, totally buzzed for Skyrim. Only thing I didn't like was the bad range of spells, picked up Morrowind as well but never got into it. I basically want something like WoW, but without the subscriptions. Not too bothered about being online either. So a free, single player version of WoW would be sweet.

Looked at some Planetside gameplay when you mentioned 2 was out soon, might've just been the guy I was watching but it seemed a bit meh.

Well you've got to pay for it to begin with, so it's not too great. But it's not a game I'd particularly every watch a video of, but once you get good at it, some really amazing things happen. Me and a friend were in a tank once, we got about 200 kills (A combination of multi vehicle kills + ground troops) before we got blown up. About 4 or 5 of us held a tower against about 40 people for a good while, they left eventually. It's hard to explain. It's all that plus you can customize your character how you want, you can be a ground troop that can use a huge array of heavy weapons, or you can use medium weapons and use lots of vehicles. You can get a cloaking suit but you can only use pistols and knives (That's awesome, running through about 50 people and coming out behind them and stabbing away.)

Could be worth just giving it a go to what you think, it's definitely a different experience to the likes of CoD and CS and something I thoroughly enjoy. Some of my favourite moments of playing any game were in this, and you can change your character at any time to do different stuff (It takes about 15 mins to set up all your gear load outs etc.)

Flying in formation with a bunch of nerds to attack a base in planes.

Hot dropping, this is where you fly in a transport plane with other super grunts that are all about the ground war. You bail out of the plane and fall at full speed with no fall damage and let the chaos commence. (There's shields up at the entrances to the bases at the start so this is to help get them down.)

Sniping from a ridge behind some trees into a base and picking people off.

Driving a tank with a mate gunning and doing serious damage and feeling more godly than you can imagine.

I dunno, it was probably my favourite game ever. So I kinda try to sell it to let others experience it :P

I will be playing GT5, but mainly waiting for 7th December - CATACLYSM BABY OH YEAH!!!

Haha that reminds me, ages ago when it was just released, I had a friend that played WoW like all the time...

And he had some close friends that knew his password and as soon as the expansion came out, they deleted all his characters, dropped all his gold, changed password, rung the customer support and asked them to lock the account.

It worked.

He didn't get his account back for about a month. LOL and was in tears. :giggle:

Edited by OnzaKid

Downloading Deus Ex, for some reason it already downloaded overnight but disappeared from my Steam account and started over from 0%. Seriously annoying :mellow: Would much prefer to just download a DVD image file from a site like Direct2Drive or something.

edit: If anyone is thinking about getting this - do it. Didn't much care for it at the start, actually found it a bit boring because how interesting and important can a security breach be in a medium sized corporation but once the story unfolds it becomes really interesting. It raises some pretty important questions about morality, human and tech evolution, media and policies. Not sure it's as good as the first game but the plot is bloody good so far and very well constructed. Although it lacks a satisfying ending. The plot just ends out of nowhere with no closure. Can't wait for ME3.

Edited by Greetings

I picked up deus ex the other day and its pretty damn good, reminds me very much of the first game which is no bad thing :)

Also been playing DCS:A10-C quite a lot, after almost a month I finally have my joystick about 95% programmed, 6DoF headtracking software working properly and managed a single ILS landing without crashing and burning; I havent even fired any weapons in anger yet :$

So far I have managed to take off, navigate a basic flight plan and land; now got to learn all the weapon and countermeasures systems - Talk about vertical learning curve, the user manual is 669 pages!

edit: playing deus ex on hard for the challenge, currently dieing with no more than 2 bullets, also playing A10-C in full simulation mode; I think I must be a glutton for punishment :lol:

Edited by forteh

From what I've read, noob tubes require a much more direct hit to kill, like splash damage doesn't kill so easily. And I play Hardcore, so that's why I prefer CoD, shooting someone 3 times in the chest should kill them, not let them scamper away.

If you're after a realistic shooter, the CoD series probably isn't the place to look. Besides, Bad Company 2 has a hardcore mode as well - although it definitely doesn't beat CoD 4 hardcore servers.

But if you want a punishing game, Red Orchestra 2 should be the one to get if they tidy it up before release.

I played the first Red Orchestra a while back, when's it coming out? And what platforms? I have no access to a gaming quality PC. I can't wait to finish Uni and be working so I can buy a awesome computer and play all the games I'm missing out on.

13th September and it's just PC atm. I think there were plans for a console launches eventually - but the devs are only a small team. I have been debating dropping £20 on it but I'll be in your shoes in a month and I don't think there'll be much point :( I'll have to add it to the list of games that everyone will have forgotten about by the time I leave uni, along with BF3.

I loved the original Dues X game so I downloaded the new one. It seems very good, but annoyingly I have to run it on the lowest setting possible for my computer to play it with no lag, but then the curser arrow is not visible for all the vital things like hacking and sorting augments and stuff, so I have to keep swapping between quality depending on what's happening which is very annoying!

I loved the original Dues X game so I downloaded the new one. It seems very good, but annoyingly I have to run it on the lowest setting possible for my computer to play it with no lag, but then the curser arrow is not visible for all the vital things like hacking and sorting augments and stuff, so I have to keep swapping between quality depending on what's happening which is very annoying!

Sounds like the computer your using meets the minimum spec but not the reccomended spec. Unfortunately most developers put a low minimum spec in so they appeal to more customers. Lowest settings usually look like a 90's throwback too, which sucks.

Been playing brink for the last hour. Don't like.

Played quite a bit of dirt 3 and while getting somewhat repetitive it had some great aspects. The gymkhana stuff and the trail blazer races were great.

Latest mortal kombat game was pretty brutal but lost it's appeal after a couple of hours online play with a friend. Campaign seemed to drag a bit too.

I'm hoping to be getting dues ex sometime soon as i loved the first one and rather ashamedly i liked invisible war too. Heard good things about this one so keep[ing my fingers crossed.

Mw2 is not that bad, I like it when I get bored.

Got a question.

So today (about 20 mins ago) I was playing mw2 and because I don't play it much I'm a level 29, And I was Kicking everyones butt in one game and I was called a hacker several times And because I winning by 40 kills This guy complained about me About 13 times, he said That I must be a hacker because I'm only rank 29 and only have 18.5 Hours gametime, so He got His team mate to start filming me... whaaat?? Mega sore loser or what, if I do get banned though what should I do?, Send a message to steam?

Edited by F.N.G

Mw2 is not that bad, I like it when I get bored.

Got a question.

So today (about 20 mins ago) I was playing mw2 and because I don't play it much I'm a level 29, And I was Kicking everyones butt in one game and I was called a hacker several times And because I winning by 40 kills This guy complained about me About 13 times, he said That I must be a hacker because I'm only rank 29 and only have 18.5 Hours gametime, so He got His team mate to start filming me... whaaat?? Mega sore loser or what, if I do get banned though what should I do?, Send a message to steam?

They would contact you. Respond accordingly.

It's VERY unlikely.

EDIT: MW3 looks dope. Bad Company 2 is such a slow game.

Edited by Luke Dunstan

Latest mortal kombat game was pretty brutal but lost it's appeal after a couple of hours online play with a friend. Campaign seemed to drag a bit too.

Been smashing the new MK since it came out, best game I've played in ages! Wasn't super keen on story mode, but getting Quan Chi once you beat it made it worth it.