Electric Toothbrush Or Normal Toothbrush?

TrialsGilly

Been thinking recently and you only get one set of teeth, so its probably worth me looking after them. I have always used a normal tooth brush (used twice a day) and never had any problems.

One of my friends was telling me how much better an electric brush would be, so I had a look around online but there is no definitive answer I can find. I don't really want to invest around £70 pounds on a electric one, if it isn't going to make my teeth any cleaner, or potentially last longer.

Just want to see if anyone on here has any useful opinions or guidance on the matter....

Thanks Tom

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...9#ht_1236wt_905

Could just get something like that.

I used to have one, couldn't really tell much of a difference but after 17 years of living, I've just got some skill on how to brush my teeth biggrin.gif

Personally, I wouldn't bother if you aren't having any issues.

Edited by Jamie_Trials

I have used both and didn't notice any difference in how clean my teeth felt, what I did notice was the electric one didn't have a flexy neck of any type so could hurt gums easier, it also vibrated my nose and made it itch but that may just be my big beak.

Have used a couple of electrics in the past, but back to old fashioned at the moment. I found they were good for the teeth out backs where you can't get a good action on as theres not much room, they made them feel cleaner. The rest of my mouth feels as clean now with a normal brush as it did back then.

Maybe better investing in a load of mouthwash and toothpicks if you don't already partake in those activities.

I'm totally sceptical when it comes to things like this, however I did buy an electric toothbrush (a Phillips Sonicare) to be precise in the January sales reduced from £120 to £35 on Amazon.

At first it really hurt my head, it felt like I had an industrial drill vibrating my brain out but now I'm totally used to it and I've used a normal toothbrush since and I can definitely hand on heart say it removes more food and plaque from my teeth than before, infact I'd say it's pretty similar to a normal brushing marathon followed by flossing. It's really good, I'd never go back. For purely aesthetics aswell, because I think white teeth look good, my teeth are definitely whiter. I'm not sure if that bothers you but it was an added bonus for me.

Good luck in getting a deal.

I (and Muhammad..) recommend a Miswak:

miswak.jpg

It's a tree root, from which the outer layer peels off, and a bristly centre remains to brush with. Not only are they cheap, they kick ass at oral hygiene. I've been using them for several months now, and my dentist was amazed at the results of this 'magic stick'.

Apparently using them improves your memory, and gives you the pleasure of Allah! :rolleyes:

http://www.islam.tc/Miswaak/

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Natural-Toothbrush-Miswak-x-5,-Arak,-Siwak,-Peelu-%28NEW%29_W0QQitemZ110337071937QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=212483016077&rvr_id=212483016077&cguid=9f1a3bf01250a0aad474c684fb9bdfd6

I had an electric one last year, but they don't noticeably work better, you just think they do because that's what you're told. They brought out a vibrating razor lately, now that IS bollocks.

Normal tooth brush, strong mouthwash...job done.

EDIT: And having to recharge the battery all the time got annoying.

Edited by Luke Dunstan

Ah they really are awesome! My dad (from Iraq) used them when I was younger and I actually forgot what they were called. Will have to buy some!

miswak.jpg

It's a tree root, from which the outer layer peels off, and a bristly centre remains to brush with. Not only are they cheap, they kick ass at oral hygiene. I've been using them for several months now, and my dentist was amazed at the results of this 'magic stick'.

Apparently using them improves your memory, and gives you the pleasure of Allah! :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Natural-Toothbrush-Miswak-x-5,-Arak,-Siwak,-Peelu-%28NEW%29_W0QQitemZ110337071937QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=212483016077&rvr_id=212483016077&cguid=9f1a3bf01250a0aad474c684fb9bdfd6

I have used both and didn't notice any difference in how clean my teeth felt, what I did notice was the electric one didn't have a flexy neck of any type so could hurt gums easier, it also vibrated my nose and made it itch but that may just be my big beak.

I got a braun sonicare one and I had this feeling too. I don't feel that tickling/itching sensation any more though.

I'd say if you get an electric toothbrush make sure you get a decent one. I've got a Braun Sonicare complete or something like that. It was about £60 and worth every penny. My teeth feel a lot cleaner than using a manual brush.

Tried electric a couple of times, after a couple of uses I end up scrubbing away with it like a normal toothbrush. Makes no difference however I use it so I just stick to normal old 'whatever is cheapest but still looks pretty in Asda' tooth brushes :)

I have problems with my teeth (fear of dentist and not going in over 10 years let problems build up) - since I recently went to a dentist to get work done I started using electric toothbrush, just a £20 (reduced from £40) Oral B Vitality, and would recommend it to anyone. Massive improvement in my teeth, its not about what you use its how you use it. You could use a manual toothbrush and get the same results - as long as you brush properly.

miswak.jpg

Ordered 5 of them! How long do they last?

Do you use it in conjunction with your normal toothbrush?

• 2 years later...

I may be a it late for this but have had a very bad experience with a Braun Oral B Professional Care electric toothbrush. It was so powerful that within a six month period I lost my two bottom centre original front teeth plus two crowns and bridges...involving three and two teeth respectively fell out! My dentist advises Phillips Sonicare. Anyone else had similar experience? I need ammunition against the manufacturers. Since I stopped using it and reverted to a bog standard toothbrush over six months ago, I have had no further problems.

I may be a it late for this but have had a very bad experience with a Braun Oral B Professional Care electric toothbrush. It was so powerful that within a six month period I lost my two bottom centre original front teeth plus two crowns and bridges...involving three and two teeth respectively fell out! My dentist advises Phillips Sonicare. Anyone else had similar experience? I need ammunition against the manufacturers. Since I stopped using it and reverted to a bog standard toothbrush over six months ago, I have had no further problems.

mate you're over 2 years late :/